Wherels
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
US$220
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 September 2014

Even though the reviews on here are generally reliable it is always a bit of a gamble trying out a new place. I was on a cycling holiday with friends but only joined the group later in the year when rooms had been booked, and so I had left it a bit late to get a room. Not for the first time I ignored the hotels and looked at B&Bs and was not disappointed with this choice. The lady who runs the B&B could not have been more helpful as I dithered for a while with the booking. From the moment my cycling companion and I arrived I was enchanted with the place. The owner let us put our bikes inside the house which was helpful. We had the 'apartment' which is part of the main house and had a kitchen/seating area, a large bathroom and a double bedded room which opened out on to an internal courtyard. The room was 'cosy' if a little tight on space but the bed was big enough to allow two cycling chums (males) room to sleep without any difficulty!
The bathroom was amazing. A large room with whirlpool bath and a seating area with a shower over the bath. Breakfast, in a separate room overlooking the street, was excellent and the hostess friendly yet unobtrusive.
Outside, the street was narrow enough to be free of traffic and it was very pleasant sat outside on the garden bench, the street overhung with trailing vines, watching the few neighbours, and cats, passing by.
The location was superb. Only a few minutes walk from the central market square with the main church and restaurants. I liked the town. Friendly people. Surprisingly busy, so a good vibrant night life but safe enough to wander about the streets. Would recommend this B&B, especially to couples, and will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank JohnKaye1949
Reviewed 2 September 2014

I loved the hospitality and slept beautifully in a serene bedroom with delicious European bedding and that overlooked a garden. Elaborate continental breakfast with croissant and fresh fruit was delivered in a basket to my door each morning. I stayed in the charming Canal House, overlooking a canal, but all the accommodations are convenient in the quaint town of Haarlem.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Very small B&B but very friendly and helpful proprietors. Right in the center of old town but very quiet lane. All sights were easily walkable from B&B, including the train station. Comfortable bed and large room. Excellent breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bobe2
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We were staying at Wherels's Canal House for 3 nights. The house is really by the canal which is really nice. The location is close to city centre and less than 15mins walk from train station. One thing is that there are a prostitute houses at the alleys behind the house.

The house is cozy and really give a home feeling. We especially like the kitchen that we did cook a meal one night. Since we are 3 people, 2 of us were sleeping on the double bed and one needed to slept at the attic. Finally, nice breakfast was served everyday.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Susanna S
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the house next door for a couple of April nights, and it took a while before we started feeling comfortable. The manager was very nice and friendly, and the apartment with patio extremely cute, but we simply weren't used to a place like this - we felt like visiting someone, and that someone was just somewhere (maybe doing groceries), and he/she would be puzzled to come back home and find us, total strangers, there. :-) The first evening was a little funny for this reason, but we slept extremely well, and by the breakfast time we were all thumbs up for this experience. It was like waiting for Santa Clause when we heard the breakfast being delivered in the kitchen! And what a delicious breakfast it was with lots of fruit, fresh juice and excellent cheese and bread and eggs. Only the croissants were a bit too flaky, but that might be just my personal preference.

Wherels had a great location, close to the station as well as the shops and city centre. It was easy to stop by "at home" to have a cup of coffee or to have a little rest from time to time.

We had a rather cold week for our vacation, so the house was quite chilly, too. It was however possible to turn the heat on and have the flat much warmer.

I gave only three stars for the cleanliness, but that doesn't mean that the house wasn't clean, because it was. Everything was just generally a bit scruffy and old. I saw a mouse trap in the kitchen cupboard and sort of couldn't get over it. But it was not set, nor did I see or hear anything else mouse-related, so it was just my fixation. And made me miss my two cats at home! :-D

All in all, I was impressed with the friendliness of staff, the lovely, quiet "home of our own in Holland" and the unique experience. I would definitely prefer this to a sterile mass hotel. Wherels has charm!

• Stayed: April 2014