“One of the best dining experiences we have had!”
Review of Chez Bastijan

Chez Bastijan
Reserve with
Chez Bastijan is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 333 Restaurants in Haarlem
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Centrum
Reviewed 15 June 2017

We booked a table here for a Saturday night (as we knew it was popular) and from entering the restaurant we were instantly struck by how quaint and interesting the interior was.

We were politely shown to our table by one of the most professional, friendly servers we have every met. She calmly welcomed us and presented us with the menu, whilst informing us that asparagus was in season and there were special dishes including it on the menu (naming them).

I ordered a bottle of white wine from Luxembourg (delighted to see a wine from Luxembourg on the wine list!) and it didn't disappoint, simply beautiful taste.

We both tried the asparagus soup, which was amazing and on a higher level to previous asparagus soup's I have tried.

What we noticed here that most of the other diners were really enjoying their meals too, everyone was polite and smiling and we even engaged in polite conversation with the Dutch couple at the table to the right of us for a very short time.

The female server informed us there was only one lamb left (always a good sign as its clear then they only order a certain amount in to make dishes from fresh). I went for the lamb dish and my wife tried the steak. Both were beautiful dishes, the taste jumped out at you, I haven't tasted lamb that good or cooked that well in a long, long time! My wife commented that her steak was a step above the steaks which she was normally served elsewhere. There were plenty of vegetables and garnish and the sauces on our mains were really tasty.

I can't even remember what we had for dessert, all I can remember is that they were both excellent quality.

From the moment we stepped in, to the moment we left, we felt welcomed here. The servers here are really knowledgeable and most of all, very friendly and know how to do their job very well. The food is top quality, the wine is excellent, the atmosphere is beautiful.

Definitely a place I would return to when I am hopefully next in Haarlem.

There are newer reviews for Chez Bastijan

Reviewed 11 June 2017

We found this place last night and I'm so glad we did. The food and service were both delightful and I wonder why it isn't higher up in the reviews.

We both had the special of salmon with asparagus and baby potatoes. It was a large serving and absolutely delicious. We were also given complimentary olives and bread beforehand.

With these two mains at €19 each and six drinks the bill only came to around €60 which I thought good value for such a lovely meal.

The wait staff were extremely nice and helpful also.

Reviewed 10 June 2017

We had a delightful meal at Chez Bastijan on a lovely evening in June. The outdoor seating is right off the main square in a pedestrian only zone so great for ambiance and people watching. The service was great - professional, personable and attentive. The food was very flavorful and it was obvious a well trained chef put time and energy into the menu. And the price was very reasonable for a dinner of that caliber!

Reviewed 19 May 2017

one small point= Trip Advisor says Chez Bastijan but business card ( see picture) says Restaurant Bastijan : address tallies so I am reviewing the right place. We had fancied a bowl of soup in the afternoon & had asparagus soup at an outside cafe that tasted like washing up water. Mentioned this to our waiter at Bastijan ( where we had booked which is strongly advised due size of restaurant) & he brought 2 bowls of complimentary asparagus soup which were the real deal ( asparagus is in season right now in case you didn't know!). We had a traditional Dutch beef stew for main course that was brilliant. Although the place was packed our waiter was hyper efficient & friendly. Highly recommended

1  Thank harrytheman
Reviewed 5 April 2017

This restaurant has such a vibrant, charming & informative front of house waitress that it is hard to not to recommend Chez Bastijan on her alone! The food however being the main reason for visiting will not disappoint. Beautiful flavours, well presented and exceptional quality make for a great meal. Don’t miss this place, it’s wonderful.

1  Thank GonzoBC