“It's a unique experience staying in a real monastic cell”

Poortackere Monasterium Hotel
Ranked #26 of 37 Hotels in Ghent
Reviewed 27 May 2017

I booked it for 2 nights, but since my connected flight got delayed and I spent night in a city of my connection - I arrived one day late. My booking got somehow updated, when I tried to notify the hotel about my delay, and I was pleasantly surprised, when I only got charged for 1 night at the check-out.
My room (cell) was very small, but that was per my expectations anyway; I liked it. Shower and toilet rooms were clean and available whenever I needed them, despite the hotel was fully booked according to the posting at the front door.
You may want to have breakfast in the hotel as dining room's interior looks like a nave in a church, divided by columns of pseudo-gothic style - an experience not available elsewhere in Ghent, per my knowledge; although 17.5 Euros for breakfast looks bit too expensive to me.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Poortackere Monasterium Hotel

Reviewed 18 May 2017 via mobile

Not happy at all.
I got a room in the detached building, very poorly furmotured, there were some strange stains, the shower was broken and spilled water everywhere. Linoleum in the small bathroom. The kettle for the the was dirty. Breakfast at 17 Euro but nothing special, I could make the because I was not able to find a clean teapot.
Only good point the location, near the city center.
I will never ever return.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Federico B
Reviewed 13 May 2017

I booked a standard room well in advance in his hotel. I wasn't expecting luxury but honestly, the state of the room I was allocated was so poor I left and went somewhere else. I made my views clear to the management and have told them that the room is not fit for public letting. I believe some rooms have been refurbished. MIne clearly hadn't been decorated for many years. The carpet was so awful yo wouldn't want to walk on it without shoes. Hotels in Ghent are pricey, but I think it's worth paying a little extra to avoid this one.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 April 2017 via mobile

Rooms were organised for us as part of a work meeting. The monastery is in the heart of Ghent. The rooms, while dated, were functional and comfortable. I thought it was a lovely and unique experience, and while not a 5 star experience, at these prices, it was excellent value for money.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 March 2017

a very charming authentic convent from 1200. tucked away from the streets, gardens, comfortable simple rooms. Breakfast is E17.00/p/p huge buffet selection, you can even make a sandwich snack for later! Conveniently located to all the sites walking distance.
Funny little bar area that needs a bit more ambience.....Restaurant not always open.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple