“Lovely”

Poortackere Monasterium Hotel
Ranked #27 of 37 Hotels in Ghent
Reviewed 24 July 2017

I really enjoyed my stay at Poortackere. The monastery is really close to the centre of Ghent but it is so quiet because it is located in its own grounds behind the street.

I booked a single room with shared bathroom, not the cheapest option, the next up. My room was charming, beams on the ceilings, beautiful arched windows and a fab wooden studded door. You really get the feeling of being in a nun's cell, it is an amazing experience.

The bed was very comfortable and the linen/towels of good quality. There was a big wardrobe, desk, chair and basin in the room. The TV was flatscreen and had a couple of British channels on it as well as Dutch, Belgian etc. Shower gel and soap is provided.

There were tea/coffee facilities in the corridor and the shared toilet/shower rooms were great, I never had to wait to use them. The water pressure was good and the water hot.

I didn't try breakfast as I though 17 Euros was a bit steep but it smelled fantastic.

The free wifi was excellent.

The photos of flaking paint and stains on carpets people post on here make really me laugh. The monastery is an old building and offers basic decent and cheap accommodation, no more. If the odd flaw offends you then pay a bit more money for luxury and perfection.

All the staff I met were really nice.

Ghent is gorgeous but I really cannot recommend visiting during the Gentse Feest in July .....unless you are under 25 and/or enjoy wading ankle deep through piles of discarded beer mugs and vomit. I didn't go out at night because it was so messy and busy, early mornings before the street cleaners got going were equally grim. I didn't feel unsafe at any point though. During the festival the shops were often shut and the weekly flea market wasn't held which was annoying but my fault because I should have checked before booking.
Daytimes and early evenings are fine though and I am sure that at other times Ghent is peaceful and lovely.

In Summer please use the mosquito repelling plug-in provided...I didn't and got eaten alive!

Room Tip: Go for a room on a higher floor and not opt for the cheapest rooms unless you are really on a budget...
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Poortackere Monasterium Hotel

Reviewed 13 July 2017

Don't expect an advanced self-check in service, a rainshower (in fact, the shower was outside of the door), or air conditioning in the room. Instead, this hotel offers very unique and monumental experience. Isn't that the point of most trips?
(Breakfast was really great too.)

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 June 2017

We only stayed for one night but it was very comfortable. The location was great, only a short walk into the city centre. The rooms are quite old but that is to be expected in such a unique place! Everything was clean, the room was massive and it was quiet. There were still religious paintings on the wall, which was a lovely touch. There was a little kitchen in our room, which we didn't use but nice for people who want that option. There was also a little seating area, where you can open out the windows during the summer.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2017

The location is spot on! Only a 10 minute walk to the centre of the city. We booked a large room which had a separate seating area; the room was certainly big; decoration was a little old fashioned, but for a one night stop we weren't particularly worried. The hotel seems reasonably priced for a central hotel, but extras like parking and breakfast are expensive. We parked our motorbike for nothing though. This was our second visit, and we'll definitely stay again.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2017

I booked it for 2 nights, but since my connected flight got delayed and I spent night in a city of my connection - I arrived one day late. My booking got somehow updated, when I tried to notify the hotel about my delay, and I was pleasantly surprised, when I only got charged for 1 night at the check-out.
My room (cell) was very small, but that was per my expectations anyway; I liked it. Shower and toilet rooms were clean and available whenever I needed them, despite the hotel was fully booked according to the posting at the front door.
You may want to have breakfast in the hotel as dining room's interior looks like a nave in a church, divided by columns of pseudo-gothic style - an experience not available elsewhere in Ghent, per my knowledge; although 17.5 Euros for breakfast looks bit too expensive to me.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo