“Not good!”

Lion Belge
Ranked #97 of 797 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: Belgian, French
Reviewed 8 August 2018 via mobile

This was our first visit to Brugge though we have visited Belgium many times before.
How anyone can give this any higher than a three doesn’t get out much I think...
My husbands chicken was acceptable but my fish (cod I believe ) though a large portion seemed microwaved, as water filled my plate. The fish was tasteless, watery and the vegetables it came with similar. The fries were good so filled up with them.
The guy who served us was a bit arrogant and when I asked him why others had been given a bowl of chips (behind us and in front). Instead of just apologising which would have been fine it was like “tough I forgot”
There are many nicer places to go and sadly the one we went to recommend by Trip Advisor was full - this place wasn’t so that isn’t a surprise!

1891bruges, Eigenaar at Lion Belge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2018

Hello ,
Thanks for the review
I knew from the moment you came in you would write a comment ,rather bad then Good ..
I know you prefer the cod in Australia beceause its fried over there ,but here we bake our Fish in butter..
you asked me for mayonaise while I had de mayonaise in my hand ,you dont Even give me the time to put the mayonaise on the table,and sorry im human and somthimes I forget things.
Greetings to you’re husband because he was friendly and he apologized

Owner Sam Foucart
Lion Belge

Reviewed 29 July 2018

Wholesome amazing food, you feel the love! Huge portions too, if you don’t feel to hungry, I recommend sharing x

1  Thank beijaflor811
Reviewed 29 June 2018

We stayed in an airbnb opposite and we adopted it as our local. I think it's two businesses restaurant on the left, bar on the right . We did spend most of the time in the bar , with really friendly locals and staff. The beer range isn't as broad as the more tourist areas - just 20 or so, but prices about 10% cheaper than the main drag. They did hand out free tapas on hand fri night - excellent. We did also have paid for tapas, which were great.

It is quite busy later on, with people chilling outside in the very quiet cobbled street

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

We were recommended Lion Belge (The Belgian Lion) by the hostel we stayed in. The restaurant really is fantastic, hearty portions of top quality Belgian food that don’t break the bank make the place a definite must visit if you’re in the area.

There’s a great beer menu and everything is served with gorgeous homemade frites and mayonnaise. The place is fantastic and certainly one of the best meals I had during my stay in Belgium.

1  Thank Sam B
Reviewed 19 June 2018

My meals were absolutely delicious, I ate a soup of vegetables and an agneau roti with red wine. The waiter was very kind and he answered all my questions.

1  Thank nemeshek