“Romantic Dinner - Very Good Food”
Review of Bistrot de la mer

Bistrot de la mer
Reserve with
Bistrot de la mer is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #41 of 404 Restaurants in Ostend
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Just got back to the hotel and felt compelled to write this review.

Don’t believe the poor reviews this was one of the best meals I have ever had.

Booked the restaurant through trip advisor as it was last minute on Easter Sunday.

The restaurant is well appointed on the seafront and within walking distance of most hotels.

My partner and I had the set menu at 35 euros. The staff explained each item as neither of us can speak Flemish or French.

We had coquille st Jacques for starter. Gorgeous!

My partner had t bone steak for 5 Euro supplement and I had cod fillet for main The portions were huge and the food was divine. I had chocolate mousse and my partner had creme brûlée. Both of which were stunning

Well executed food in a lovely cosy environment.

The total bill with a bottle of house wine and sparkling water was 100 euros. Very good value for the food and experience.

I would highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 26 December 2017

Absolutely fantastic food and service. Been here a couple of times and will most certainly return again. Eating outside was also pleasant. Clean & tidy.

Reviewed 10 September 2017

Three of us ordered the set three-course menu; the fourth also wanted to do so, but had to point out that she could not do so, because of gluten intolerance and pescatarianism, which ruled out all 6 or so starters on offer. So she would just take a main course. The very helpful (or so it seemed) waitress thereupon offered two extra options: a tuna carpaccio or a small shrimp salad. The waitress veritably urged such a choice upon my neighbour, who agreed to choose the small shrimp salad. A very big shrimp salad turned up, to our surprise. But when we were asked for our dessert choices, another waitress mentioned there were only three set menus among us, not four, as my neighbour supposedly had ordered à la carte. We said okay and ordered a dessert extra, so as not to make a fuss, but then we sat talking amongst ourselves and each and every one of us was convinced the first waitress had talked in terms of a solution to the dietary issue within the set menu, not outside of it. So I decided to take this up after all. I was then met with such a barrage of denials by no less than three waitresses, insisting that I was extremely unreasonable in expecting to get a shrimp salad--a shrimp salad, would you believe it--within a set menu! Did I not know how expensive shrimp was??? In reply to my remark that I was fine with paying the extra, but did not feel fairly treated and would not be returning after such poor communication, it was said that the restaurant would be very happy not to have me return anymore.
I am a frequent visitor to restaurants both in Belgium and abroad and I have never been so rudely accosted.
In terms of quality of the food, it was quite good, though a bit fatty (the fries were not to my liking, but that is a personal thing) and with portions that were unnecessarily large (e.g. that "small" shrimp salad, which was very big).

Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

Brought some customers based on the trip advisor reviews. Felt ashamed. We ordered 2 dishes of fish: one was raw, the other one had a disgusting sauce. I don't understand how they can have such high score. Don't go there.

Reviewed 7 July 2017

Last May we were visiting an exhibition in Oostende and as we barely managed to view it all before the museum closed, we thought we might as well have dinner there before driving home.

After talking a leisurely walk along the seafront and looking at a few restaurants' menus posted outside, we chose Bistrot de la mer as we prefer seafood and it somehow convinced us to try our luck there and what a good choice it was, partly because the waitress was very helpful and courteous.

I had a great shrimp croquette as appetizer while my wife had a customized salad to respect her dietary requirements.

My wife then had a great mixed seafood grill while I enjoyed a deliciously prepared monkfish, accompanied by a decent house wine.

To finish it off we enjoyed ice cream desserts and coffee and still ended up paying just over 100 Euro for the privilege.

All in all we hope to find another excuse soon to revisit the place