“Relax in the sunshine”

Grand Muthu Forte do Vale
Reviewed 19 September 2017

This is a comfortable resort in a quiet location. There is a free shuttle bus to the busier parts of town which runs in the morning and late afternoon/early evening and just outside the resort is a stop for the little tourist train.
There is a large swimming pool surrounded by a plentiful supply of comfortable sun beds where you can easily find sun or shade at any time of day and a poolside bar . For me this was the best thing about the resort. There is also a small indoor pool and a children's pool.
The hotel restaurant offers an excellent buffet breakfast which I thought very good value, but I only tried the evening buffet once and was not impressed. There are other restaurants within walking distance. I was particularly impressed by the restaurant next to the hotel, the Expresso.
I stayed in a one bedroom apartment, which was comfortable and spacious. It had a well equipped kitchen and new televisions offering several English channels. However I do not think it would have been adequate for more than two people. There were only two chairs on the balcony and indoor seating needed an upgrade......which it may get now that the resort is under new management
The main thing that I would criticise is the housekeeping. The maids came into the room every day except Sunday but did not do much of a job. Most days they didn't bother to put the fancy pillows back on the bed and didn't make much of a job of straightening the bed. I was particularly put off by their grubby habit of refolding used towels and rehanging them, presumably to make guests think that they had been given clean towels. The only toiletries provided were in two dispensers near to the shower and not easily reachable from the hand basin. These both contained something thin and smelling of apples which I did not use. There was a piece of soap but it didn't appear until I had been there twelve days
The other staff were all very pleasant and helpful.
You do need to check your bill at the end of your stay. I found an item for over 120euros on mine which was never really explained but was removed quickly and politely as soon as I spotted it.
Overall I had a very good holiday, but the grubby housekeeping would make me think twice about returning

Room Tip: The bar and restaurant and lifts are in the middle of the resort, so rooms at the further ends of th...
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank maggiegregory

Reviewed 18 September 2017 via mobile

Just home from here and must say Wil definitely recommend this hotel to friends. Especially Gina Reis on front desk that helped us all weekend from recommendations of restaurants calling taxi extra hairdryer and lastly my daughter is diabetic and Gina was very accommodating for my daughter to self mediate in r room on check out day. Even leaving we were allowed to u the health centre to shower and change. We also got an upgrade on arrival
The only down side is the pool bar is steep with drinks prices. €5.50 for bottle beer and the most I paid for it was €4.50 any other bars and restaurants.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
MGM_Muthu_Hotels, General Manager at Grand Muthu Forte do Vale, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such a positive feedback on your recent stay with us.

It is good to read that you liked our Staff (Gina) and the services offered to you during your stay.

We have plans to upgrade the hotel facilities in near future as we have been doing in the past. Do give us another chance to serve you again.

Reviewed 18 September 2017 via mobile

Almost finished our 11 night holiday here and we have stayed before a few years ago. I can say it has improved a little but not much considering the price and understand the hotel is a newly rated 5 star but I think it would be better to be classed as a very good 4 star rather than a poor 5 star.

Positives:
Large and spacious rooms, great free wifi throughout, clean communal areas, clean bedding, nice pool area, courtesy bus, hire of beach towels, air con great, British tv channels, helpful reception staff and great location between old and new town (10 mins either way)

Negatives:
Room still had previous occupants food in kitchen cupboards on arrival, kitchen nor microwave not cleaned very greasy/dirty, balcony never swept so housekeeping need to work better as a team as different levels of cleaning depending on maid, deluxe one bedroom apartment looking tired and worn out, carpet in the corridors would help with suitcase noise.

After staying here twice we probably wouldn't stay for another few years until it had had chance to develop and grow further. Management need to liaise with hotels with a 5 star rating to see what the grade is that they need to meet.

Wishing the hotel success with continued improvements. Perhaps a guest feedback questionnaire should be given out.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lumbers123

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such a constructive feedback on your recent stay with us.

It is good to read that you noticed the developments we made and i also apologize for the lapse in the cleaning service.

Reviewed 18 September 2017

This is the second time at this Hotel and I must say I have enjoyed it very much the staff were all very friendly and helpful the reception manager Carlos and his staff were always on hand to help with anything you needed the apartment clean and spacious as I don't get to the beach the pool area was excellent the only comment I would make it a bit more verity in the pudding but apart from that the food was excellent
Hope to return to Forte Do Vale

Room Tip: Apartment overlooking Pool Area
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank marie n

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such a positive feedback on your recent stay with us.

It is good to read that you liked our Staff, food and the services offered.

Reviewed 14 September 2017

Staff very friendly and helpful. The apartments where spacious. I went with my sister and nephew so generally would not stay at family resorts. The hotel is a 10 minute walk from the new town which may be more suited to those who want top go clubbing, there are some decent shops there also.
For those like myself seeking a bit more culture I recommend going to the Old town in the afternoon (it can be very busy at night) especially for shopping as there is a lot more on offer and some nice curious shops. It is a 15 minute walk or €5 in a taxi
If wanting to stay close to the hotel for breakfast/lunch or dinner I recommend Restaurante Expresso which is just right beside the supermarket when you go out of the Hotel and turn right (you go down a flight of stairs from hotel reception first) The breakfast and lunches are cheap and the food quality is great.

In terms of activities there are plenty of things to do and these can be organised from the hotel reception. We did a Safari tour which took us into the mountains (in the evening time from 17:00 to 22:00) for €45 per person. This included a meal in a restaurant over looking the hills at the end of the tour along with many other adventures. Our guide for this tour was Pedro who calls to pick you up at the hotel in his Jeep (no waiting on buses!). I highly recommend this!
If you are getting a taxi from the airport to the hotel it takes around 35 minutes and costs €45 which is standard fair.

Room Tip: Rooms with a pool view should expect more noise.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Gerard F
MGM_Muthu_Hotels, General Manager at Grand Muthu Forte do Vale, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing the feedback on your recent stay with us.

It is good to read that you liked the Hotel and the Room was up to your expectations. Staff appreciation is the best thing to read.

Ashish Gosain.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Albufeira
1.0 km away
1.2 km away
Aqua Pedra dos Bicos Design Beach Hotel
11.0 km away
Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Muthu Forte do Vale? Share your experiences!