“Fabulous ,outstanding villa.”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Omont Cristi

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

French first
Any
Antonio B
Rhosllanerchrugog, United Kingdom
“Unannounced workmen, lots of glitches .. TV. Internet, coms”
Reviewed 30 September 2015 for a stay in August 2015

Although the villa set out was perfectly for our two visiting families the description of facilities was at best disappointing ...
For example .. Free sat TV = horror channel in English .. Not so good for the kids
Wireless throughout = only one iPhone at a time and at best only emails ( very slow )
BBQ - only one working hob control
Pool heating - expensive - only works when level of water is high enough - 3 days without heating in place .. No refund forthcoming ?
Jacuzzi - did not heat past 25degrees - not really hot tub
Most worrying was being not 5 miles from Luz but unannounced adults arrived at regular intervals and had access to our children throughout !!!
Manager Caroline extremely rude, unhelpful and dismissive of above concerns
We did not recover full deposit due to a teenage catastrophe in one of the bedrooms , which we accepted
simply put the standard of the top class villa was at best 2 star and not in line with price tag
You have been warned

Ps ants ...... But it is Portugal I guess ?

Liked best: Layout
Liked least: Lack of facilities as described
Travelling group: Large Group
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
19 Oct 2015
This review relates to the same stay as the other review for August and I respond in full to it so that the reader can view the context in which it was has been made.

First, none of the issues (other than the short term issue with the Jacuzzi) outlined in the review were mentioned to the house manager or myself during their stay (they had contact details for both).

Second, they were not mentioned on return from their stay.

Third, whilst they were at the villa they enquired to the house manager about rebooking for next year which is at odds with how they describe the villa as presumably if it were as bad as they suggest in both reviews one would not wish to stay again (I was instructed by the owner not to accept another booking from this group for reasons which will become clear)

Fourth, the group (ie the client and the other family) only started emailing me with their apparent issues 10 days after they left the villa and only after they had received an email and photos and video from me showing the damage that they had caused to the villa.

That damage related to the worst I have ever seen in all my years of renting villas, and the following is not for the faint hearted. Whilst the other reviewer from the same party refers somewhat light heartedly to a ‘teenage catastrophe’ (which as a minimum should be in the plural) the situation was far more than that.

On the mid stay clean, bed linens were found stuffed/hidden in wardrobes smeared in excrement and other bodily fluids. This was also the case for the linens on the beds themselves.

This situation was found to be repeated when the clients left.
Equally, the use of toilets did not seem to be popular. The floor appear to be preferred. Food wrappings and used tissues (for what I am not quite sure) strewn everywhere. Quality furniture damaged with pens and so on. The situation was so bad with these clients that I instructed photos and video to be made by the maids so I had the evidence to send the clients when I informed them there would be a damage charge.

Which is what I did. Along with a bill for replacement linens (five specialist laundry operations could not get the stains out) and workmen to come in to clean the bathroom tiles (urine etc had damaged ‘burned’ the grouting) and the furniture.

After sending the video and photos, along with a bill for the damage and replacement of the linens (even after the five specialist laundry processes the excrement and other items on them could not be removed to a standard that other guests would want to use) , I started to receive a long list of complaints about the villa which, although communicated outside the timescale of the terms and conditions of booking I tried, despite my own distress of having to see the photos and video and more importantly having to deal with the distress that was caused to the maids who are not used to dealing with situations such as this, to be as professional as possible.

Which I will continue to do in order to answer the specific apparent issues that have been raised via this review in relation to the villa.

1. The TV system in the villa has 200 channels. As with all villas in Portugal (and anywhere else in Europe) Sky TV is not available nowadays outside of the UK. The best satellite system available has been put in to this villa which, as I say incorporates 200 channels. Detailed instructions are provided on arrival on how to work the TV system and whilst via this review this is the first I have heard that they could only get a horror channel (in their latent complaint they mentioned that they had limited TV without specifying what), I did instigate a check on the TV channels when they had informed it was ‘limited’ and indeed 213 channels were readily available. If the comment is accurate, then a call the house manager could have been made and resolved but no problem with the number or quality of channels has been identified before or after this group

2. Wireless throughout. Omont Cristi is a large villa. Some areas of it are better than others for wireless connections. Again, this was only reported 10 days after departure. Unfortunately I have to question the accuracy of only one iphone at a time being able to be used on the basis that the villa was used (with others in the area) for weddings immediately before and after this visit which meant that many times during those weeks there were more than the normal 10 guests in the villa as a result of friends, relatives, caterers, wedding planners, stagers etc being there. All with at least one device each and no issues at all with multiple devices being used.

3. BBQ only one hob available. Despite the intensive number of emails relating to the complaints that started coming in 10 days after departure, this is the first time I have seen this issue so cannot comment on it other than to say that the bbq was used for the weddings before and after this assumed stay and given the quality of the chefs who were flown in especially for these weddings, I am sure if there was an issue this would have been highlighted immediately

4. Jacuzzi not exceeding 25 degrees. This is not true – and I am at a loss to know how the reviewer can be so accurate on the temperature. There was a minor issue with the Jacuzzi during their stay (a blockage in a filter which may or may not have been to do with the guests staying there but these things happen so not a problem) and this was the item on which they reported an issue. Within five minutes the house manager was there, un blocked the filter and all was working within two hours and up to temperature for a hot tub

5. Pool heating. Again, not true there was no pool heating for three days. The maximum temperature allowable under health and safety laws in Europe is 32 degrees and apart from the two – three hours whilst the Jacuzzi issue was fixed (where the temperature may have gone down one or two degrees depending on winds at that time but would not have been noticeable) the pool was up to temperature for the duration of their stay other than for that specified time

6. Re distance to Luz. Due to the poor English of this comment I don’t quite understand it – the distance from the villa to Luz is not five miles and I always provide the GPS coordinates before I take a booking so people can be quite clear on the distances and location

7. Re ‘regular workman and having access to our children’, I find the latter a very offensive suggestion/inference. The villa is a well maintained high quality villa. To maintain that level of quality a gardener and pool person and maids are required. In addition as a service to guests, the house manager visits the property each morning (front of house not pool area or inside) to take away the rubbish. The timings of these people visiting the villa (gardener and pool are always at same time) are explained on arrival so cannot be deemed as being unknown. Most people appreciate that the villa and its surroundings are looked after for the benefit of guests and to suggest anything untoward in relation to children staying at the villa is an emotional, extreme and offensive statement

8. The comment about myself being rude, unhelpful and dismissive. As I have no idea who this Antonio B is (and I certainly have never corresponded with anyone of this name in relation to this booking) I am not sure how he can suggest I have been rude, unhelpful or dismissive. As I have made the point earlier, none of these issues were raised (other than the Jacuzzi) with the house manager (who is 24/7 available) or myself until ten days after departure and only when I sent the photos and video of the disgraceful state in which they occupied and left the property. Since then, despite my personal disgust for how a group can treat a quality villa and distress on behalf of the maids who had to deal with it, I have tried to be as professional as possible on the issues as they have come through – and if I am honest, the emails have been frequent and inconsistent in the nature of their complaints.

9. Re the ‘off the cuff’ comment re ants. In any hot country ants can be a problem. Which is why in the information I send to clients before they arrive includes tips about reducing the opportunities for ants, vermin or any other unwelcome visitors. Quite frankly, I am not surprised they had ants in the villa. With the amount of rubbish, food wrappings etc that were present around the villa including in bedrooms and bathrooms it would be unusual if any local ants did not see the duration of their stay as a good and easy food source
For me, I have never ever seen a villa occupied in this way or left in this state. Neither have I had maids so distressed with what they had to deal with which was far more than a ‘teenage catastrophe’.

At the end of the day, apart from the Jacuzzi which was back working with three hours, none of these issues were raised until I sent the videos and photos of the state of the villa to the client who booked. Whilst these issues were raised so long after their stay, and out with the terms and conditions of their booking, I have done my best to investigate, and respond. Indeed I had an email only a few days ago with new issues (sent after this review was posted). I leave it therefore to the reader to decide the motivation of this review and the context in which it was made
Kate B
Wrexham, United Kingdom
“Lovely holiday with friends....villa not completely as described.”
Reviewed 28 September 2015 for a stay in August 2015

We has a lovely relaxing holiday, but some of the features advertised were not as expected. At the time of visiting ,the jacuzzi was faulty and the pool heating (extra cost) did not work for the full duration of the holiday. Free sat TV is available but the best channel reception we could find was for the horror channel...not really suitable for children. The Internet connection is sporadic at best, so do not expect to be in contact if it is a necessity for you, or to be able to use the Internet for TV or streaming. Also be aware that workmen/ gardeners did enter the grounds of the villa without us knowing until we saw them.
We lost a portion of our deposit for reasons that we fully accept, but were not informed of until we were home ( so obviously could not attempt to put right), however when we brought the issues we had with the villa to the attention of the agent she was less than apologetic or helpful. So in conclusion, we had a lovely holiday but not such a nice correspondane on our return.

Liked best: Location and weather
Liked least: Management
Travelling group: Friends
Your age range 35-49
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
19 Oct 2015
This review relates to the same stay as the other review above it which I have responded in detail to provide the context in which the complaints of this party raised only 10 days after their stay and only after I had sent them video and photos of the damage that they had caused (from excrement smeared sheets, urine stained floors, damage to furniture etc.) Indeed this reviewer is the mother of the teenage son who seemed to find it acceptable to hide bedlinens smeared in excrement and other bodily fluids in the wardrobe, remake the bed, and do the same again (twice as the issue was picked up both on the mid stay clean and on departure).

However, to answer the points raised.

It is not true that the pool heating did not work for the full duration of their holiday. There was a problem with the Jacuzzi which was fixed within 20 minutes of being reported and which took a couple more hours to get up to temperature. Therefore, as the Jacuzzi and pool are linked mechanically, the maximum amount of time the pool heating was not as it should be was three hours. At this time of the year, a difference in temperature would have been unnoticeable and the pool was at a constant 30-32 degrees for the remainder of their stay (32 degrees being the maximum allowable under health and safety regulations).

There are, as I have pointed out in the other review, 200 channels in the villa. No difficulty with the TV was reported until 10 days after this group left and neither was there a problem with the guests immediately before or after

The same applies to the comment re the internet. No mention was made of this until 10 days after their holiday and given there were weddings immediately before and after this stay with staff, wedding guests as well as residents using the villa (all with at least one device) with no issues relating to the internet being reported

It is not true that workmen and gardeners entered the grounds without the guests knowing about it. As I have described in the earlier response, guests are informed on arrival as to when the gardener and pool person come (which is together to minimise any impact on guests’ holidays) and the house manager comes to the front of the house each morning to take away the rubbish so that guests do not have to be inconvenienced of going to the municipal bins themselves. Again, this morning visit which does not include having to go anywhere near the gardens or inside the house is communicated to guests on arrival.

In terms of the comment about not a nice correspondence on the reviewer’s return. It certainly hasn’t been nice to have to send someone video and photographs of the offensive state that the maids had to deal with. This reviewer has emailed me frequently with her complaints after I sent this material and I have investigated all of them and responded politely despite my personal abhorrence of the way this villa was treated during the stay. I have also tried to keep an open mind during that correspondence as to why the issues mentioned were not raised either during their stay or immediately afterwards or indeed why they were only raised after the video and photographs had been sent along with the bill for the damage caused.

Equally, as I mention in the other review, it does seem very odd that despite all the apparent issues the group enquired about staying again next year (I was sent an instruction from the owner to decline any further booking from this group for the reasons outlined)

At the end of the day, it is very rare for me to have retain any damage deposit at this or any other villa (I think I have had to do it three times in 10 years) and is not something that is done lightly. In this case though, there was no choice due to the manner in which the villa was both occupied and left.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2013 for a stay in June 2013

Liked best: Everything
Liked least: Could do with a couple more frying pans
Your age range 50-64
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2012 for a stay in August 2012

Liked best: Everything
Liked least: Coming home!
Your age range 35-49
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2012 for a stay in June 2012

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Well heated swimming pool and beautiful decor in all rooms
Travelling group: Family with Teenagers
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Families with young children Large groups
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing