“Great spot in Lagos”
Review of Big Chill Hostel

Big Chill Hostel
Ranked #76 of 138 Speciality Lodging in Lagos
Reviewed 25 July 2017 via mobile

This hostel is really well located. Close to the most beautiful beaches and only 10 min away from the crowded streets that you will probably be visiting at night. The breakfast was not the best but it was ok if you are not too picky. The rooms are confortable. Good choice for its price! (Especially if you have a car that you need to park)

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Big Chill Hostel

Reviewed 11 December 2016 via mobile

I felt compelled to write this review after checking out the hostel on trip adviser as it sit here looking at my summer pictures and reminiscing about some amazing times I have had, including a half mental half chilled few days in Lagos. I was sad to see a few negative reviews bunched up together from over the summer and then I regretted not leaving this review earlier! I remembered then that more people are likely to leave bad reviews then good reviews so here is me doing what I should have done months ago!

To start this is one of the best hostel I have stayed at in years!! This reminded me of the hostels of old, before 'flash packing', the type of hostels I stayed at in Argentina or the rest of South America! If you have ever stayed in a hostel in Buenos Aires then you know what I am talking about!

If I stay in a hostel it is because I want to meet people and have fun... If I want quiet and to do my own thing I chose a hotel not a hostel. When me and my friend turned up at Big Chill Hostel we were met by Ricardo and Eduardo like we were old friends! This hostel is a short walk from town but it is right next to beaches that are classed as some of the best in the world! I stayed in Lagos before and I hated walking back to the town from the beach in wet and sandy shorts carrying all my stuff. This hostel is the closest you will find to these great beaches so bonus!

When arriving Ricardo was quick to show us the location of the beaches and then straight away the guys invited me and my friend out that night to go to some of the bars in town with them! We were checked in and found the facilities to be good, with lots of space to, as described, chill. The kitchen is amazing and the breakfast in the morning was good too. For me the best part was the vibe... We met a great group of people and by the second night we were all hanging out together... All different ages and nationalities, from 18 - 36 and from all over the world! Ricardo and Eduardo made sure everyone had a great time and were taken care of. This includes taking people to bars in the evening, which when you realise they are up the next morning to make breakfast, makes you wonder how they sleep!? This is what I want from a hostel, a sense of fun and community! Do I accept that some times the running of the place is not perfect... yes, but I was there to stay in a HOSTEL and have fun, not worry about small things like that.

So if you don't want to go and relax on the beach or don't want to meet people and go for drinks in the evening, or eat food with a bunch of new friends of different ages and nationalities but instead just be on your own, save yourself the disappointment, this hostel is not really for you! But if you don't worry about the small things but care more about having fun and meeting great people then this place is for you!

Thanks Ricardo, Eduardo and the gang I had a great time! Nosaaaaaaaa!

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 October 2016

If you want a fun and peaceful place to spend a few days, I recommend THE BIG CHILL HOSTEL. We had a very pleasant stay, the space is large and comfortable rooms, with bath, kitchen tidy, every day a clean lady the HOSTEL, Miguel offered us rides and activities for the city tips. The location is near the beach of Dona Ana (already elected most beautiful in the world), mini market, various restaurants, also has a golf course nearby. To reach the lakes center walk 15 minutes and the bus 30 minutes. The walk is worth it because Lagos is a beautiful city, every step is a photo. I will return to the hostel.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Flier0709
Big_Chill_Hostel, Gerente at Big Chill Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2016

We appreciate your feedback about our stay in our hostel!
We were very pleased with the review and have enjoyed your stay with us. We hope your return soon.
Sincerely, management.

Reviewed 5 October 2016 via mobile

The hostel is located in a quiet place and within easy reach of the beaches and restaurants. We were very well attended by Miguel, who also gave us tips on places to enjoy the night in Lagos. The room was comfortable, with a small balcony, kitchen and bathrooms were well organized and clean, the terrace is a great place to relax at the end of the day. Also has an area with barbecue, tables and chairs
I saw negative comments, but I decided to risk and have not regretted, the hostel is very nice and recommend.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Knighthrider

We appreciate your feedback about our stay in our hostel!
Sincerely, management.

Reviewed 10 September 2016 via mobile

Miguel has no idea how to run a business. He left his 14yr old nephew in charge while he left for the day. We had no power in our room, we had no shower head in our bathroom. He's rude and arrogant. He allowed a random dude who was sleeping in his van outside come into the hostel as he pleased to use the facilities. He left a backpacker in charge to do his work who had no idea what to do, people were checking in who had already paid upfront only to be told the owner was out and they weren't sure what was going on, another group of people were checking in only for Miguel to be asleep on the couch and him telling the untrained backpacker to check them in. We werent told that there was a $20 cash deposit for the key so we had to walk back into town to get cash. We didn't get our deposit back because the so called manager/owner was no where to be found. The only person who works hard is the cleaner, but even with her working hard the place was still a mess, she tried her best we could see that. It's just really poorly managed and the attitude we interpreted was that he obviously doesn't care. What goes on, who's coming in and out of the hostel or how he speaks to his customers.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank Helen S

We appreciate your feedback and your stay in our hostel!
We are going through a remodeling in our hostel, although during your stay seem disorganized. Your observations are very important to us, i would like to point out that some of them were caused by third parties, employees who attended not to work. I apologize on behalf of the hostel, and I invite you to return to our hostel at another time and see our changes and improvements.
Sincerely, management