“Intimate restaurant, good food, lovely host”
Review of Claras em Castelo

Claras em Castelo
Ranked #105 of 4,550 Restaurants in Lisbon
Price range: US$18 - US$31
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Castelo, Alfama & Mouraria
Description: The restaurant is open all the week After 9.15 p.m. we do not accept more customers for diner.
Reviewed 19 October 2017

We were staying by the castle and had ventured further out, but on the last night it was forecast to rain and we had done a lot of walking, so booked one the last tables in this tiny restaurant.It is very intimate and cosy, the food was good fairly rustic, with a good choice of Ports and wine. The menu is all in Portuguese but the host explains it to you and makes recommendations and really looks after you.We are glad we tried this on our last night, would recommend.

1  Thank Wendy D
Write a ReviewReviews (1,230)

Reviewed 19 October 2017 via mobile

Went for lunch. Good price and excelent chicken. Good service and speaks very good english. Very good place if you visit the castle.

Reviewed 13 October 2017

This is a tiny restaurant (16 places), with excellent Portuguese cuisine. Good place to eat after visiting the S. Jorge Castle. The proprietor was multi-lingual (certainly English & French + Portuguese), though the menu was not. The menu was limited, but I had no problem finding things to eat. I had a sardine pate with olives and bread followed by flaked cod in a bechamel sauce, both of which I thoroughly enjoyed. The restaurant also offer artisinal beer, which worked for me. Prices were reasonable. service was friendly, and excellent, though as I was a little early relative to Portuguese dining hours, the proprietor was not run off his feet.

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

Although they do not have english menu, we were well informed about the choices and it was all clear. You have a choice of appr 8-10 dishes but you can make sure that anything you pick will be a good choice. Very delicious food with nice atmosphere.

Reviewed 7 October 2017 via mobile

We were on our way to another restaurant when we came across this tiny gem of a restaurant. I say tiny because it can only seat 12 people. It is tucked away beside the city castle wall right in the corner. Blink and you will miss it.

The menu is equally small but being a chalkboard menu, I guess it changes daily depending on what the market has to offer. I love these sorts of restaurants because the food is always good. We had the choice of about 6 fish and 2 meat mains. The menu is written in Portuguese but that is not a problem as the owner has the patience of a saint and will explain each dish several times until you are happy. His wife is in the kitchen preparing these wonderful meals, and that is it - a husband and wife team preparing excellent meals with great service that could grace any 5 star establishment.

We shared a sardine pate starter (delicious) followed by our fish main courses. Both were superb. Dessert was the local egg tart speciality, while I went for a nut cake with honey.

A glass of superb house wine, 2 bottles of IPA, a bottle of water, and it all came to €52. For that quality of food and the whole setting, I call that excellent.