“Extremely disappointing”
Review of Porto Santo Golfe

Porto Santo Golfe
Reviewed 7 June 2016 via mobile

The title of my review says it all.. extremely disappointing.

Ever since booking our holiday I was looking forward to playing a round of golf on a seve designed course and after reading the reviews and seeing the layout I couldn't wait to get there.

I play off 9 so I am a fairly decent golfer and have played all over the world. However I was left extremely disappointed by this course.

Point 1 - price

The place isn't cheap especially when factoring in club hire buggy hire and the round itself.

I found a fellow golfer in the hotel so we shared the buggy which reduced the cost to 120 euro per person for one round including club hire (see point 2) the buggy and the round.

We were told this would reduce to 110 euro if we played two rounds. - hardly discount of the century.

Point 2 - club hire.

There are two types of clubs you can hire - medium quality and "high" quality. We opted for the high quality ones and we're given the choice of mizuno or Calloway.

I selected mizuno playing partner calloway.

The quality of the clubs was shocking!

Scratched and dirty with none existent grips. The grip on my putter looked like it had been given to a dog to chew... it was threadbare and all worn.

My playing partner even had a 10 iron in his bag! I have never even seen one!

My driver was disgraceful so much so I didn't even use it.

The loft and lie were all out as well which massively affected shots into different holes on the course (point 3)

All the clubs are graphite shafts - we were not asked if we wanted steel shafts or had a preference for anything.

Point 3 - the course

The course itself is a lovely design and layout... risk and reward holes and course management is required.

The front 9 plays down towards the town and the bay the back 9 toward the north of the island and the main cliff faces.

Some of the views were spectacular and we did try to drive the 14th green although it was close to impossible.

The quality of the course though is very poor. The fairways were rock hard and it was impossible to take even a slight shallow divot and the greens were atrocious. Bobbly slow and obviously a mixtures of different grasses.

It badly needs some TLC and some water!

However the biggest thing about the course was the yardage.

They are out by absolutely miles!

There is a par 3 110 yards (15th hole) normally that is a wedge with my own clubs - here I absolutely flushed a 7 iron pure out of the middle and was well short.

I hit a 4 iron to the 9th (par 3 160) and again was short by a good 30 yards.

This was the same story for the whole round and made for a very frustrating day and not an enjoyable time.

Point 4 - balls and Tees.

Bring your own otherwise you will have to buy them from the pro shop.

There is a very old guy who rides a scooter along the perimeter boundary and if your ball goes ob he hoovers it up and later tries to sell it back to you.

There is a lot of water on the course as well as ravines so there is the potential to come back with less balls than what you started with.

Point 4 - clubhouse.

The club house facilities are nice enough 7 euro for 2 beers and although we didn't have any food from what we saw it looked nice.

Conclusion -

It's just a shame that the course is being let down by lack of care and the quality of the items it is selling.

It is not a cheap day at all and I expected far far better from an establishment that Seve put his name too.

In two minds if I would ever play there again but considering the price you pay for what you get i certainly wouldn't go back in a rush.

Extremely disappointing

"stretch"
in 3 reviews
"land"

Reviewed 2 June 2016 via mobile

New course designed by Sevi Ballesteros. The course is really well designed and shows a commitment by the government to actively invest in regeneration.
Site is just waiting for investment to continue building homes and hotel adjacent to the course.

Date of experience: May 2016
Reviewed 19 December 2015

Apart from Porto Santo's having both an eight and an eighteen hole golf course situated with a 360 gradient view of the island another unique attraction apart from golf is the migration of birds that accumulate around the pools of the golf course.

Date of experience: December 2015
Reviewed 20 October 2015

Sponsored by Ballesteros and conceived also by him, this wonderful golf course is worth a visit.
With the wonderful weather You can do it all over the year!

Date of experience: October 2015