“Nice food , good service”

Cantinho Do Avillez - Porto
Ranked #220 of 2,015 Restaurants in Porto
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Cantinho do Avillez restaurant in Oporto welcomes you with a natural blend of the traditional and the modern. Quality is the priority with Chef Jose Avillez, and so nothing is left to chance. The cuisine, largely Portuguese inspired, is nevertheless influenced by travels abroad. The menu offers a wide choice of appetizers, "pregos" (steak sandwiches), entrees, main dishes and desserts, so that the gastronomic experience can be different at each visit. The service, which is pleasant and informal, contributes to the cheerful and relaxed ambiance.
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

This is recommended in my guidebook and is close to the place where I stayed, so I went to check it out. It's a Tuesday evening and I could get a table quickly. The staff (a lady) serving me was very polite. I ordered scallops with portobello mushrooms and rice, and a white wine (I told them what wine I liked and asked for their recommendation). The scallops were nice although the rice was a bit too salty for me. The wine was good. For the cover, the bread and butter were nice. Overall the dining experience was very good. Prices are not cheap though.
Could go again next time in Porto.

1  Thank A Y
Write a ReviewReviews (1,509)

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Dinner with the family has never been this good. From the service to the food, nothing could be faulted. Of the 31 countries I visited and 100s of restaurants, this was one of my best. I was surprised that I was able to get a booking at such short notice and that the prices were so reasonable. The restaurant is under rated. I can definitely recommend this one. Enjoy!

1  Thank Oliviersfour
Reviewed 27 March 2018

We booked this restaurant for our final night in Porto as we had previously dined in 'Bairro do Avillez' in Lisbon, twice on one holiday as we thought it so good. This was to be our final treat so to speak.

It was a Saturday night and the place was full to capacity.

The food was just ok and the service all felt a bit hectic. One of our starters was forgotten but no biggie as we were sharing two.

The menu at Cantinho is not as exciting as the one at Bairro, Lisbon, but I suppose that’s a long way to go for a 'Spicy Horse Mackerel Cone’ eh?

The price we paid, whilst not extravagant was on a par with other eateries in the area, that we felt delivered superior food and a more relaxed dining experience overall.

Reviewed 23 March 2018

Friendly wait-staff served us. The restaurant has great selections including fine vegetarian choices (rare in Portugal) as well as non-vegetarian cuisine. Evenings it's a happening place.

Reviewed 16 March 2018

Booked a table for two at 8.30pm the evening before and, having failed to get into the Lisbon version, we’re excited to try it. Full and buzzy when we got there and our waiter was friendly, funny and helpful. The couvert comprised good bread, including excellent Melba toast, truffle butter and olives. We had the Green Bean tempura with tartare and the sautéed poultry livers to start - both delicious, and the sirloin steak and the Cantinho version of local favourite Francesinha (two slices of bread, pork, ham, cheese, egg and sauce) with excellent fries for mains. The steak was cooked to perfection with a nice mushroom sauce and the Francesinha was a revelation. Often advertised as inducing heart attacks, this was light and very tasty. We had a glass of the house JA white to start and a bottle of JA red with the meal and the bill came to a very reasonable 73 euros. Highly recommended. We

1  Thank Lee P