“Great fish and chips with good service”
Review of Mayday

Mayday
Price range: US$9 - US$39
Cuisines: Austrian, Hungarian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Located in the centre of the Jolly Harbour Marina area Mayday we provide our customers with a wide variety of food: soups, snacks, burger, pasta, our famous Chicken Paprikash and Goulash, all the way to a tender Angus Steak and Lamb Rack. We may recommend to leave some space for one of our desserts, Apple Crumble, Chocolate Mousse or Austrian Kaiserschmarrn. We provide free wifi to our guests. VISA and Mastercard are accepted.
Reviewed 15 March 2016

We went to Mayday to celebrate an important birthday at dinner. Three of us had the fish and chips and one of us had a Hungarian specialty meal. We all then had the apple crumble or cheesecake and they were excellent. The service was very professional and the owner also was available and friendly. My only concern was that we had to suffer through a smoker who was chain smoking at the table next to us while she used the wifi having only purchased a cup of coffee. Finally after enduring the smoke of 4 cigarettes In a row we asked the owner to address the issue and she promptly, and successfully, did so in a professional way. We were very appreciative to then be able to enjoy our dinner but beware of smokers at this restaurant. We would go again.

Reviewed 13 March 2016 via mobile

This is a little eight table restaurant with two very attentive servers. When I made a reservation for two I inquired whether one can see the sunset from there and, when I returned a few hours later, they greeted me by name and absolutely beamed when they took us to a table for two they set up for us to see the setting sun over the masts of the nearby sailboats.

We both had a local supper special consisting of a salt fish dish (the national dish) with a vegetable "chop" (mixed chopped and mashed vegetables including spinach, pumpkin and okra with seasonings), and some local dumplings similar to hush puppies in the southern US. Everything was delicious and served piping hot. For dessert, we had an Austrian dish with a name starting with "Kaiser". It is like a coarsely chopped pancake and was served with a plum compote dip. When I made the reservation earlier that afternoon, I had mentioned that we prefer no alcohol and they remembered. The chef made the desert for us with blueberries instead of the customary rum soaked raisins.

It doesn't get any better than this. This was the best meal we had on the island and it was not nearly the most expensive. After eating this dinner at Mayday, in my mind's eye, I subtracted half a star from every other Antigua restaurant I ate at.

Alex N, Owner at Mayday, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2016

I am very happy to read that my staff managed to pamper you giving you a good view of the sunset. I am equally glad you liked this interesting combination of the local national dish and one of my home country's signature desserts, the 'Kaiserschmarrn'. Named after emperor (=Kaiser) Franz Josef whose favorite dessert it was. 'Schmarrn', by the way, is a Viennese colloquial expression for a mess - as this dish basically is a very fluffy, messed up (shredded) pancake.
Our whole team would like to thank you for taking the effort of writing such an extensive detailed review. Very much appreciated.

Kind regards,
ALEX
owner/chef/Austrian

Reviewed 25 February 2016

I love this restaurant , great fish and chips actually the best in the Caribbean, very nice friendly staff and good wifi.

1  Thank thedove88
Alex N, Owner at Mayday, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2016

Thank you very much!

Reviewed 19 February 2016

This restaurant has a vast wine selection and great food. The staff were very attentive and informative. The chicken paprikash was extremely tasty. The chili con carne had great spices.

Reviewed 18 February 2016

I have to confess, that after eating here four times, I have never gotten past the Fish and Chips. After reading that the owners are Austrian and Hungarian, the menu makes more sense. I need to try something else, but the Fish and Chps are so good!

Anyway, always great service, consistent quality, and reasonable prices.

Next time I will try the Schnitzel.

Alex N, Owner at Mayday, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2016

What can I say? Yes, we are Austrian and Hungarian, and, yes, we do enjoy sharing some of our food culture but, hey, if you like our Fish 'n Chips don't feel obliged, that is totally fine with us ;-)