“Exquisite Tastes, Impeccable Service, Highly Recommended!”
Review of Vezene

Vezene
Ranked #156 of 2,667 Restaurants in Athens
Price range: US$35 - US$47
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Vezene is a Greek Inspired bistro cooking primarily with wood fire grills and ovens. It is located opposite the Hilton Hotel and Madrid Park with views to Lycabetus hill, very close to the Ilissia Gardens. The menu focuses on dry aged meat and local sustainable seafood.
Reviewed 9 March 2013

I can’t say enough about Vezene! I am very picky when it comes to food and this restaurant did not disappoint us at all. It has an elegant atmosphere and reminiscent mood of New York bistros -the style of Italian restaurants.
We dined here a couple of days ago while staying at the Hilton. It is actually across the street on a serene little lane. As always I like to recommend one or two restaurants in the area where we stay because I know that several guests like to taste something different besides the cuisine of the hotel they stay at. So, this restaurant is my alternative if you happen to be staying at the Hilton or any neighboring hotel.

It is a Bistro type of restaurant with beef and seafood ruling the menu with a feel of urban. An all-steel bolted wood brick oven coexists with induction cook tops and a red vintage Berkel meat slicer –a harmonious culinary marriage of tradition with technology. An in-house dry aging meat cooler holds the keys to the depth of flavour, -a guarantee for delicious meal. The atmosphere has an energetic vibe and the long menu list tantalizes the appetite!

What I really enjoyed was the fact that every single dish served here is made on the spot from scratch, and every dish has its unique taste and ingredients. You hardly see this happening nowadays! We loved its cozy atmosphere, its warm contemporary design, and the fabulous culinary creations that can please the most demanding guest.

Ari Vezene –a chef-restaurateur is the owner and designer of this amazing spot. His primary objective was to create a crystal clear identity of informal, unpretentious and unobtrusive elegance. The colours of the sand otherwise the perfect Beige monopolize the interiors in the form of authentic natural Italian cow skin leather, oak wood surfaces and most importantly hand applied eco friendly Persian Khorasani grained texture materials. The dimmed filament adds an extra orange color, giving the customer the illusion of dining under the streetlights. “Authenticity and originality are what I am after” these words come from the owner through the short chat we had that night.

I recommend that you make a booking before you come here especially if you plan visiting this place during the weekend. Some friends who come here often were telling us that it is daily packed with businessmen, sophisticate crowd of Athenians and several knowledgeable tourists from the round hotels. Well, it was exactly what we came across when we got here. The restaurant is quite popular and even though it was a weekday it was almost full. The space in the room is not that big, yet we were sitting in comfort and even though at the other end some people were smoking, the restaurant has good ventilation and the non smoking area was extremely clear.

The obvious specialization here is in meat, yet you can find delicious seafood dishes in interesting tasteful starters. We had several of those.
We had a paper bag with different interesting kinds of bread, crispy rolls, pop-over. This last one was exceptionally good and looks like muffin.
Don’t leave without tasting the Shrip Fritta. It was heaven! We have never tasted something similar. It was shrimps in thyme honey, pecans, wasabi cream and chilli flakes. –The cost 16 euros.
We had the Black Beluga lentils for 12.50, (Exarcho’s smoked Salmon, red onion, datteri, feta, but this dish did not excite us that much. It was nicely presented and the salmon was amazing but lentils were too hard.
We had the Scallop Capesante Al Forno for 5.50 the piece which were irresistible. (chives, guanciale iberico, chilli garlic, Alba truffle oil). Worth a try!
We had the Beef Tartar for 16.50. My husband liked it because he is after meat -I tried it though out of curiosity. I liked its slight sour –quite interesting taste that matched so well with our wine.
We had the Alpha Rose –Ktima Alpha for 29 euros the bottle. It comes from Amyndeon viticulture zone. It has a bright rose colour with saumon hints, fruity nose with rich expression. It is quite full, fat but balanced with long aftertaste. It was really nice and matching with what we had, with aromatic complexity. (Xyromayro 50%, Syrah 50%)

The other starter, -and I love the idea of starters myself, was the Mini Wagyu Burger. Meat lovers will love this. I only tasted it again out of curiosity but it is worth a try for those who love meat. It costs 4.50 (Wagyu Chuck Flap, brioche, foi gras, onion marmelata.
The last starter we had was the Beef Bone Marrow –Os Moelle De Boeuf. 12.50 euros. It was an interesting dish, that again excites meat lovers but I have a way to appreciate good food even if I am not after meat. I have travelled a lot and have become a food travel enthusiast and want to believe I am a good restaurant critic as well, with much taste and experience through the 37 countries I have already visited and plan to double in the coming years. I gained confidence through this experience so I can enjoy everything some more others less. The Beef Bone Marrow was accompanied by sour dough bread, pickled porcini, mustard, and parsley salad. I am sure it is another interesting dish to consider.

We finished this amazing trip of tastes with two highly recommended dishes from the main menu. The one was the Braised Oxtail Youvetsi in Nebbiolo for 18.50. It was simply yummy! (24hr slow braised buffalo oxtail and cheeks Sementine (100gr), aged piave vecchio cheese, and marjoram. Anything that is cooked slowly deserves every credit. It was exceptional and certainly worth to try.

The last dish which was out of the Beef menu was the Onglet. It might cost 23.50 but it pays for the money. (Hanging Tender, Marinade: green apple –soy- shallot ) It is so nicely presented in a cast iron pan straight from the fire! It is another dish not to be missed.

The dessert list included a Banana pie, Amedei Toscana chocolate, Key lime pie for 9 euros each, and gelato of the day for 3.50 a scoop.

Although we were just the two of us, we wanted to try something really special and ignored the price which was 31 euros…but the portion is for 4 persons in reality.
We had the ‘Deal Closer’ which was a –mountain of Madagascar vanilla ice cream, bitter chocolate tart, macademia nuts, gianduja flakes, fudge and rivers of butterscotch flowing all over it. The taste and flavours of all what I mentioned above, makes it exceptional and worth trying, and it comes with a huge butcher’s knife to handle it!
We had no idea how to serve it, and the waiter explained that we don’t move the knife on top we just take spoonfuls out of this –mountain of ice-cream! It was a bit sweet, but it worth the extra calories just for a try and the fun! It was an arresting spectacle on our table, highly recommended!

I found the wine list long and interesting with wines coming from Greece, the U.S.A., South Africa, and Europe. Price varies with the cheapest starting from 15 euros to 363 a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon Schafer –U.S.A. 2003.
Champagne starts from 28, to 1.400 –Krug winery, Blanc de Blancs-Chardonnay.

If you happen to be in Zakynthos and visit the little island of Meganisi between May to October, don’t miss the Trattoria Vezene restaurant. It is just as good, popular for its cozy atmosphere and its northern Italian Seafood. Our daughter visited it last summer and it is from her that I heard about the Vezene in Athens! It is surrounded by jasmine, basil and lavender and it faces Onassis’ Scorpios.

In all the Vezene of Athens is a Signature restaurant of excellent cuisine and interesting tastes of high gastronomy. Guests can find dishes not to be found anywhere else with plenty of complex tastes that strangely highlight the characteristics of each ingredient.

Last but not least, the prices are reasonable enough considering the quality of the food.

12  Thank greekcypriot2009
Vezene, Υπεύθυνος Σχέσεων με Πελάτες at Vezene, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2015

Dear Sir/Madame,
Sorry for being so late in replying back due to work overload.
We are more than glad that you had a beautiful experience at Vezene.
As you mention, authenticity and originality are main priorities to us, when selecting ingredients.
We are constantly seeking new ideas to enhance your dining experience.
Looking forward to seeing you again!
Best Regards,

Reviewed 8 March 2013

Let's start with the positives. Excellent ambiance, great service. Smoke free indoors, Semi-enclosed patio for the smokers, relaxing atmosphere, and, again, great service. Stocks an extensive wine selection, and excellent selection of cheese.

Serves mostly beef, seemed wagyu when presented raw, the meat on the sampling platter seemed a bit off, but bear in mind it was a sampling platter. The marbling looked kosher, a little attention to the presentation wouldnt hurt. Ordered a marinaded sirloin, left it up to the chef to cook to his liking. He decided "medium" was the way to go, turned out to be well done. The presentation was severely lacking. The meat itself was overcooked, the garnish was poor and severely undercooked.

I would say extremely overpriced for the meal itself, and would not visit again for dinner. The wine and cheese did make up for some part, i would consider visiting with company for a bottle of two of wine, some jamon and cheese, but definitely not for dinner.

2  Thank Andreas_Kokkinos
Vezene, Υπεύθυνος Σχέσεων με Πελάτες at Vezene, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2015

Thank you for visiting our restaurant and sorry for delaying so much in answering back your comment although your feedback was taken into consideration immediately. We hope that you give us another chance to satisfy you and make sure you have a wonderful experience.
Kind regards,
The Management

Reviewed 4 March 2013

An excellent restaurant that really stands out from the rest of good restaurants in Athens, mainly because of the very interesting and tasty dishes of high gastronomy and its unique atmosphere.
You'll find dishes that you cannot find in other places, with complex tastes that strangely highlight the characteristics of each individual ingredient.
Even though the obvious specialization is in meat, you'll find delicious seafood dishes too and a variety of very interesting and tasty starters (fried shrimp was my favorite, a really unforgettable taste!).
Dessert is a must!
The atmosphere is very elegant and reminiscent of New York bistros or stylish Italian restaurants.
The service is efficient, polite and very helpful.
Even though the place is usually full (you should definitely have a reservation), it is very cozy and gives you a warm and friendly vibe.

Vezene, Υπεύθυνος Σχέσεων με Πελάτες at Vezene, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2015

Dear Sir/Madame,
Many thanks for visiting our restaurant and sharing your impressions! We feel sorry for the delay in answering your comment.
We are glad that we were able to provide you with a memorable dining experience. It is our ongoing effort to maintain high standards, concerning the food, service and atmosphere.
We are looking forward to seeing you again sometime in the future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 28 February 2013

The best kept secret about Athens is all the amazing restaurants they have dotted around this magnificent city. Vezene is no exception. The food was deliciously devine and of the highest quality and I enjoyed every bite! I agree with one of the reviewers below - the truffle fries are unbelievably good! The staff were excellent and super friendly and had great knowledge of the food and wines. I will definately be going back to Vezene when I next visit Ahens which hopefully will be in May 2013 when the weather is glorious. The surrounding area also very pretty and green.

1  Thank Dunhillx1

Dear Sir/Madame,
Many thanks for visiting our restaurant and accept your apologies for being so late in answering your comment!
We are glad that you appreciated both the quality of our food and the atmosphere and service of Vezené.
Hope to see you again!
Best regards,

Reviewed 27 February 2013

A very cosy restaurant! Warm atmosphere and very polite personnel! Excellent food quality and exquisite tastes! Visit it if you're looking for 5star quality food in a warm and friendly environment!

* Really original sweets!

2  Thank elengrip
Vezene, Υπεύθυνος Σχέσεων με Πελάτες at Vezene, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2015

Please accept our apologies for the delay in our answering back. Thank you for visiting our restaurant! We are glad you had an enjoyable experience. We appreciate your feedback.
Kind regards,