1,130 results
All reviews tudor hall grande bretagne sister hotel syntagma square upgraded to a suite beautiful hotel overlooking the square parliament building rooftop restaurant sitting room classic room adjoining rooms indoor pool front desk staff top floor an upgrade perfect location
Reviewed 7 September 2015

i am somewhat reluctant giving a negative review to what is clearly an attractive property when it is based on my particular experience - which might differ from that of other guests. However, I was very disappointed by my stay in July. I had booked through Amex Platinum and paying something of a premium, I expected an appropriate room. Except for the neighboring Grand Bretagne, virtually every other hotel in Athens was half the price. On check-in, we were told that we had been "upgraded" to a one bedroom suite. We put our bags in the room and went out. When I got back t the room and opened the curtains, we were opposite a wall, with the only "relief" being a view into another guest's room. On the other side- a noisy elevator. I understand that not everybody can get a view of the Acropolis - but this was not acceptable. I would not have said anything but what did get me to complain was another niggling annoyance. in the Starwood hotel website, there is an array of photographs, some of which display an outdoor pool. This was a major factor in choosing this hotel. When enquiring about the pool I was informed that it belonged to the private penthouse suite. Somewhat disengenuous to show it, I thought. I was offered use of the underground pool at the Grande Bretagne. When i complained, staff did attempt to be helpful. Greece was in the midst of the "crisis' and I did not want to add to the misery. i was offered use of the rooftop Grande Bretagne pool - which was ok.
For the rest - restaurant, breakfast etc... all perfectly nice.
If a view means anything to you though - be sure to ask whether or not you are facing a wall.

Room Tip: Be clear about view
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
4  Thank rogerew
Htl_Grande_Bretagne, Manager at King George, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2015

Dear Guest,
Thank you for writing your feedback after recently staying at the King George hotel and we are happy your overall stay was pleasant. Regarding your suite, we are very sorry to read that you did not enjoy our offered upgrade; indeed certain suite types have atrium views and most guests enjoy their serene environment. As for the outdoor pool, we respectfully would like to highlight that we have ensured the website mentions it is a private pool and there is absolutely no intention to mislead visitors. We apologize for any inconvenience caused and hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 6 September 2015

Great service at this hotel, excellent restaurant and room service (really good food, but definitely check out the Tudor Hall Restaurant for the views!), comfortable beds and pretty quiet. There's also a small, but adequate gym and use of facilities (pool, spa) at the hotel next door. Conveniently located for sightseeing. Concierge planned great outings for me, as well.

Room Tip: I had a room near the elevator and it was still quiet! That's the mark of a good hotel in my book!
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled solo

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind comments after your recent stay with us at the King George hotel. We were delighted to read that you had a pleasant stay with us and look forward to welcome you back on your next visit in Athens.

Reviewed 5 September 2015 via mobile

King George hotel is part of Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts. It's conveniently located across the square, next to the Parliament. It's walking distance to all the attractions, restaurants, and shopping. The lobby of the hotel is quite grand. The staff were friendly. It's a 3 star only because our room was quite disappointing for the price. It was located on the first floor facing a dirty roof/courtyard. We were supposedly "upgraded" to a bigger room. I rather had a smaller room with a better view. If you stay here make sure you ask for a higher floor and not facing the enclosed courtyard.

Stayed: September 2015
2  Thank Lisa L
Htl_Grande_Bretagne, Manager at King George, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2015

Dear Guest,
Thank you for writing your feedback after your recent stay at the King George. It was great to read that overall you enjoyed your time with us. Regarding the room you booked we would like to apologize for not reaching your expectations. In addition to that, we are delighted to inform you that our property offers a selection of room types with variety in views. We do hope to be able to welcome you back and accommodate you in a room of your liking.

Reviewed 3 September 2015

Great, newly renovated property in the center of Athens. Our deluxe room was bright and airy had french doors that opened onto a balcony that faced Syntagma Square. The rooms are spotlessly clean and have well appointed marble bathrooms. Wifi was fast and reliable.

The hotel's Tudor Hall restaurant far exceeded expectations and offered an excellent breakfast buffet and lunch service. Highly recommend the restaurant as it has unencumbered views of the Acropolis (the side without scaffolding) and very good food - far better than the food we ate outside of the hotel.

The concierge was extremely helpful in arranging a guided tour of the Acropolis and associated museum.

Will definitely stay at the King George next time I'm in Athens.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank baliben
Htl_Grande_Bretagne, Manager at King George, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2015

Dear Guest,
We were delighted to read your positive feedback after your recent stay at the King George hotel. We are happy that you spent an enjoyable time in Athens and our hotel. Looking forward to welcome you back on your next trip to Athens.

Reviewed 3 September 2015

We were there before our cruise from Athens to Istanbul. The location of the hotel was great and the restaurant on the roof was wonderful. Their breakfast and the view at the restaurant were both fantastic.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple