1,101 results
All reviewstudor hallgrande bretagnesister hotelsyntagma squareupgraded to a suitebeautiful hotelparliament buildingrooftop restaurantsitting roomclassic roomadjoining roomsindoor poolfront desk staffhistoric sitesan upgradeperfect locationtop floor
Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

Stayed for a week, was upgraded to small suite (i am plat), had an interior room view. Which I like, Athens is a very loud city, would not trade the quiet for an acropolis view, but to each their own. Very well trained attentive staff. Super friendly, what more could you ask for. Bed was super comfortable. No complaints, and I am a complainer. Oh and they gave us fresh flowers twice during the week!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank westlinn
Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The service was fantastic. The staff and cleaners were kind and helpful. The turn down service was a pleasant surprise. The room was clean, spacious and comfortable. However, in a five star hotel you do expect a few extras and a few basic things. There are some drawbacks to staying here instead of the Grande Bretagne next door.

So here's the bad:
You have to go next door to use the pool and spa. You can't just go down in a time and slippers. You have to go outside and take all your stuff.

That spa is really nice, with an amazing choice of steam rooms. However, there's no hot tub. Really? There's an aromotherapy steam room but no hot tub?

High speed internet is at cost. Sometimes the free service is really slow.

Limited English channels on the TV. It's just Fridays having to watch news all the time. It's 2017, you can have a media centre or Netflix or some kind of full service entertainment system. It's quite obvious they want to make money from all the films but it's not 2000 anymore. You have to offer more at a 5 star hotel.

The light switch which controls all the lights is by the door. Every time and I mean. Every. Single. Time. I went into the bathroom I forgot they're was no light in there and had to backtrack or just pee in the dark.

So I'm nitpicking but that's the truth. Everything else was great. Don't pay for the 30 Euro breakfast, there's an amazing, posh cafe nearby where you can get breakfast for half the price.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
3  Thank Jessica K
Reviewed 31 December 2017

My five-day stay began badly with a one-hour wait to check-in after I had been flying for almost 24 hours and was desperate for coffee and a shower. There was no line of waiting guests but the desk clerk seemed unsure of herself and after fumbling around for a few minutes, she told me that the computer system was down and she could not get room keys made. When I asked for coffee, she directed me to the hotel next door where the elegant lobby café was too crowded and too slow for someone who had not slept for 24 hours. Even after I went back to the King George front desk, there still was no key until I insisted that they let me into my room.

The bad situation continued in the room, where the bathroom had a 1950s era bathtub with a shower wand that rested on the tub ledge and had to be secured in a bracket about eight feet above in order to be used. A glass wall was permanently affixed to the side of the tub with the shower bracket so it was impossible to stand on the bathtub ledge to place the wand in it (see photo at left). I called the front desk and a plumber arrived who did not speak English. He stepped into the dry tub with his dirty shoes, apparently never having been trained about cleanliness and when securing the wand, he directed it outward so when I tried it after he left, the water soaked the floor instead of the tub. I had to call again and when he came back, I had to tell him to take his shoes off before entering the tub.

The next morning after I had already left for the day, the cleaning maid removed the laboriously adjusted shower wand from the eight foot high bracket and placed it back on the tub ledge. I then had to go through the same process of requesting a plumber to secure the wand when I returned in the evening from sightseeing on a 100 degree day and was desperate for a shower. The next morning, I plotted to outsmart the maid by taping three handwritten signs telling her to leave shower wand in place. However, she ignored the signs and once again, removed the shower wand from the upper bracket and placed it back on the tub ledge. So when I returned late at night, the carefully adjusted shower was ruined once again and after walking around in 100 degree heat all day, I could not shower until the hotel plumber showed up to fix it. In addition, the sides of the tub were unusually high and sloped so for a short person, it was treacherous to have to climb over them while getting in and out, which I had to do more than usual due to 100 degree heat that required extra showers.

The room lights were also a problem since they did not work consistently. Photo at left shows the ancient and filthy hall switch in my $450.00 per night “luxury” hotel room. Throughout my stay, I had to call the front desk at least four or five times because neither the main hall switch nor the individual light switches turned on the room lights. On my third day, the electrician told me that he would be back the next morning to replace the hall switch but he never showed up and the problem remained until I left.

One reason for vacations is to get a little rest from daily homeowner responsibilities but at this hotel, it was déjà vu all over again since I had to constantly deal with workers because there were so many infrastructure problems. These limitations and problems might be acceptable in a much less expensive, three-star hotel but certainly not in a hotel that advertises itself as “luxury” and charged an average of $450 per night for a standard room in September. The hotel is clearly in urgent need of updating including new electricity and plumbing and should correct its fraudulent advertising as a “luxury hotel” until these improvements are made.

In addition to these infrastructure problems and the incompetent clerk at check-in, the hotel ambience was cold and unwelcoming. During five days and five nights when I was told that the hotel was fully booked, I never saw even one guest sitting in the huge but dated, sparsely furnished and unappealing public room near the front desk. Furthermore, the hotel concierge was stiff, pompous and unwelcoming.

At the same time, there were some positive aspects. The hotel location is great and allows walking to the historic areas and shopping areas. I appreciated the upgrade to a larger room with Juliet balcony and lovely view of Syntagma Square and the Acropolis. My room was pleasant with a desk and desk chair although it lacked a chair for reading even though there was enough room for one. The sound proofing was good and I never heard voices from either the hallway or adjoining rooms but from the 4th floor, I did hear traffic and Syntagma Square protestors, making a high-floor room imperative. The WiFi was reliable and the air conditioning worked very well on days that were 90 and 100 degrees. The hotel’s 7th floor terrace restaurant overlooks the city and the Acropolis and provides a large buffet for breakfast. Rich, Greek yogurt in glass jars was a daily treat. The excellent restaurant staff were welcoming and efficient. They were the best staff in the hotel.

I am a Marriott Platinum member and this was my first stay at a Starwood hotel because there are no Marriotts in Athens. I hope I never have to stay at a Starwood again, which is complicit in the fraud since unbelieveably, it includes this hotel in what it calls its "Luxury Collection" although it is actually equivalent to a 3-star, at best. However, if necessary, it might be worth trying the slightly more expensive sister hotel next door, Grand Bretagne, where I ate several outstanding meals. The hotel appears to be much better kept up and is certainly more inviting and perhaps more professionally managed although I heard that the bathtubs and showers are similar to the King George where I certainly would never stay again. $450 per night for a hotel that is falling apart, in urgent need of updating and has poor service is outrageous. In fact, when with tour groups, I have stayed at three-star hotels that have been much better managed and much more comfortable than the King George.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
9  Thank Duxburygirl
King-George-Athens, Manager at King George, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2018

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback after your recent stay at the King George Hotel. We were disappointed to read about the inconveniences you encountered during your stay and we would like to apologize that our staff let you down on this occasion; this is certainly not the kind of service we offer to our guests. Your comments have already been discussed with the Director of Housekeeping, Front Office Manager and Engineer Manager in order to take immediate action where possible and avoid such occurrences in the future. On a positive note, it is nice to hear that you enjoyed our Hotel’s central location as well as the view and services during breakfast at the Tudor Hall Restaurant. We truly hope you will give our hotel another opportunity to host you and experience our true level of services.

Reviewed 30 December 2017

The night view for Acropolis is fantastic. The breakfast and view were great. Its a very central area, there is a lot place to shop and eat. I stay facing the place where the crowd celebrated Christmas.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 December 2017

We stayed at the King George for one night on our way to the Greek Isles, and couldn't have been more pleased. It's right in the center of all of the sites we wanted to see, and is beautiful, clean, and with the most fabulous restaurant with views of the Acropolis. We would definitely stay again and have recommended to many!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple