The only reason I'm giving this a 2 star rating and not a 1 is because of the absolutely stunning view I've had from the room. Also, a very nice beach (Voulisma) is rather close to it. These would be the only Pros for me.
Now, let's go through the Cons.
Location: The hotel is located just near the little town of Istron, spread over some pretty steep hills. Because of this, you will be phisically challenged just walking around the hotel. My first guess is that people with disabilities should stay away from this hotel. If you have chosen the Golden Wing, you will have to walk some distance to get to it.
Room: My first impression is that this is not a 4 star hotel. The furniture is rather old and poorly maintained. The minibar was located in a cabinet integrated in the desk. The door was falling from one of the hinges, so I had to fix it back to not pick it up from the ground. The bed was without exaggerating the worst in which I ever slept. Too small, too low, uncomfortable mattress, rock hard pillow. The room door was old and it kept moving whilst the balcony door was opened due to draft, making annoying noises. And yes, draft is a constant presence, due to Crete being the windiest place I've been to.
Speaking of noise. If you're seeking a nice and quiet vacation, don't come here. The hotel is full of russians which are by far the noisiest and most inconsiderate tourists I've ever seen. Also, they leave garbage just laying around. As an example, some of them were eating sunflower seeds near the pool. After they've finished, they left the shells in a plastic glass which was tipped over by the wind. All the sunflower seed shells went directly into the pool. And maybe tourists may be excused for doing this since they're on vacation, but the hotel staff was not really there to make the necessary cleaning. So you would see empty glasses, beer mugs, wrappings and all other this just laying around everywhere.
Also, the hotel is located next to a very busy road, so don't expect to hear the sea in the room - just passing traffic.
Further speaking of cleanliness: don't expect it. In the dining area, all the tables were constantly dirty and sticky and grose. And so were some of the plates and especially the cutlery, so you needed extra attention when you picked them up to eat.
The room was "cleaned" daily, but it always gave the impression of doing a poor job (dust was still there, dirty towels were not always changed and they sometimes forgot to clean used mugs or glasses).
Speaking of food: the word to describe it is mediocre. And I'm being kind. There were some days in which I couldn't find anything decent to eat, and I'm really not a picky person. So consider booking rooms only with breakfast (which was by far the worst meal), and go eat at a taverna in the town (I would recommend Panorama, which is 3 minutes away).
All in all, the hotel was a total disappointment. Thank God that Greece is a wonderful country, which saved our holiday.
I'm closing with a tip: If possible, rent a car, it's not that expensive and it will ease all your transportation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mistral Mare Hotel in Agios Nikolaos prefecture is a 4 star hotel, which has been totally renovated during last winter (2007). It is situated on the hillside at Kalo Chorio (near Istron), a beautiful Cretan Village, 300 meters from the famous beach ”golden beach” (blue flagged),10 km from Agios Nikolaos and 75 km from Heraklion airport and offers a magnificent view over the Mirabello Gulf. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mistral Mare Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Mistral Mare
- Mistral Mare Agios Nikolaos
- Mistral Mare Hotel Agios Nikolaos, Crete