“A bit disapointed”

Ranked #4 of 163 things to do in Odense
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I imagined that in the museum I could understand the reasons or circumstances that made the author write each of his most famous fairy tales. But the museum is a thorough description about his life. I lacked a part that focused on his fairy tales. The house where he was born is nothing special. We didn't have time to visit his childhood house, so I cannot comment about that.

The price of 110 kr also includes the visit to the Møntergården Museum, about Fyn and Odense. To tell the truth, this museum is very chaotic and with some poor explanations. I thought it was not worth it. But there are some old houses outside (I think open to the general public without entrance) that are very nice to visit!!!

All reviews
"entrance fee"
"tales"
in 40 reviews

Reviewed 12 February 2018

I loved H.C. Andersen's fairy tales as a kid (and still do) but I never knew anything about the man himself. This museum gives you an insight into his intriguing life. The ticket gives you also access to the H.C.A. house and his childhood home.
A must-see if you spend some time in Odense.

1  Thank Martina1888
Reviewed 6 January 2018

Profound disappointment describes my experience at the Hans Christian Anderson Museum. Do not get this museum confused with the Hans Christian Anderson HOME. Back in early October, I re-routed our trip (after checking their website) so that we could be at the museum on January 2nd. According the website back in October, the museum was closed on 12/31 and 1/1 but would be open with a full event schedule on January 2, 2018. That was not the case, and coming to Odense was a complete waste of time. The HC Museum permanently closed on November 1, 2017. The museum was gutted, the grounds were overgrown and the signage was faded. It looked to have been abandoned for much longer than 2 months. To access the museum we had to go around a huge construction site. Turns out this is the new building site for the new HC Anderson Museum that will open in 2020.

2  Thank TravelTrooperX2
Reviewed 5 December 2017

I discovered that Hans Christian Anderson was far more than a fiction author.

The admission price is reasonable for Denmark and children have free admission.

The entire city of Odense was undergoing some kind of construction and a sudden rain squall had people running for shelter, including this museum.

1  Thank NikoliGogol