“Centrally situated hotell with potential”

Scandic Hotel Opalen
Ranked #42 of 67 Hotels in Gothenburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 12 July 2015

Quite ordinary hotel room. Nothing to write home about. The size was acceptable and the bed was wide enough. Not the narrow 90 cm you might find in many hotel rooms, especially in older hotels. This one was at least 120 cm. that's the good part.

When I closed the black curtains I quickly found that they do not block out all daylight. It is remarkable that modern hotelsstill today do not equip their rooms with effective curtains. I mean, the main reason for staying in a hotel is usually to sleep! To make things worse, there were light sources that lit up the room; the thermostat had one light, and the television had two. I had to hang towels over both of them to make it dark enough for sleeping.

When I entered the room there was an unfamiliar smell. Not really fresh but I could not identify what it was. The corridor on the fourth floor could use a refurbish!

The bathroom was quite small and the bath had damaged coating in several places. Not very fresh! On the other hand it was all quite clean and all fossets worked well. (This was the first time in years I experienced a shower without thermostat. It was one grip but no temperature setting. It felt kind of cheap). The space around the toilet was very cramped.

The sleep was quite restful, although there were noises from time to time.

They offer free wifi but the speed is insufficient. It was actually impossible to use so I was forced to stay with my mobile Internet. In the bar area the wifi did not work at all.

Why there is no safe in a modern hotel room is beyond my comprehension. A hotel room should have safe and furthermore they should have an outlet so you can charge your mobile device while in the safe.

When you leave the room you have to take your room key. This means that the main electric switch disengage. If you have left your cellphone on charge it will not charge while you are out.

The hotel offer a few garage spots. They cannot be prebooked so it is first come first served. Very annoying when you arrive late and just want to park the car and go to sleep.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo
OpalenGuestRelations, Chef at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2015

Hi Kax2,

thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor and thank you for all the good feedback. You have some really good inputs that we will discuss in our upcoming developmentplan.

I wish a gerat summer.

There are newer reviews for Scandic Hotel Opalen

Reviewed 10 July 2015 via mobile

We stayed for two nights in slightly upgraded rooms! Clean and spacious rooms on the 13th floor.
The staff is very helpful and nice.
Sadly we didn't get our room cleaned and that was unexpected. If we had known this would have not been an issue, but since we got no notice this seemed strange.
Loud and noisy breakfast but good selection.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple

Hi Maryanne Ø,

thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor. I´m really happy to hear that you liked the location, room and friendly staff. I´m however a bit surprised of the fact that you didn´t get your room cleaned, in our standards we always check the room to make sure that our guests have everything they need. I´m really sorry that we didn´t manage to give this basic service to you and I hope that we can have a chance in the future to make it right.

I wish you a great summer.

Reviewed 9 July 2015

The Location of the hotel is good. Many restaurants and bars you can reach in walking distance. The room was small but clean. The wardrobe is so small that you can hardly get your clothes in. The bath is old but again is was clean.
Breakfast was served as a buffet with an average selection of food - nothing special. The atmosphere in the breakfast room was like a train station - large, loud and very crowded and the waiter couldn't clean up the tables fast enough.
The hotel has a very small gym - which I didn't use. Unfortunately it's not that easy to make a good run in the neighborhood of the hotel.
All over all is was OK - but nothing special.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled on business

Hi FrnkS,

thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.I´m happy to hear that the location and cleanliness was at your satisfaction. Unfortunately during summertime our breakfast area is not as cosy as usual since we have a larger amount of guests during breakfast.
If you were to stay with us again I would love to show you some great running close by the hotel.

I wish you a nice summer!

Reviewed 2 July 2015

An average Scandic hotel. Good regarding the distance to for example Liseberg, but the facilities and services are just average. The restaurant is a disappointment - limited menu (in late June) and nothing special for persons with food allergies.

Room Tip: 13th floor (top floor). Good view from the room.
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank HK_ST09
OpalenGuestRelations, Chef at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2015

Hi hkim69,

thank you for giving us a review on Tripadvisor and thank you for the description of our position in Gothenburg. I´m sorry that we didn´t meet your expectations in our restaurant, we actually work a lot with intolerances and allergens so it´s really unfortunate that we were not able to pass this on to you.

I wich a nice summer.

Reviewed 30 June 2015 via mobile

Just average hotel, nothing special, but about right for short stay.
Breakfast good, but nothing fancy, you will not leave hungry nor inspired. Room clean, neat, simple, quite small.
Sound proofing is not what you could say. So prepare for waking up when your neighbours are returning in the middle of the night.

Stayed: June 2015, travelled on business
OpalenGuestRelations, Chef at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2015

Hi krakar0l,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review on Tripadvisor. Nice to hear that you had a good start at our breakfastbuffet and that the rooms held a good standard. I´m sorry that you did have to wake up when you neighbours returned, that´s good feedback for us.

Wish you a nice summer.