“Great stay”

Reykjavik Backpackers
Reviewed 30 May 2016

Reykjavik Backpackers is in the centre of the city and very easy to find. Staff were really helpful and rooms were clean and tidy. Loved the downstairs area, bar and restaurant very quirky and always a great atmosphere, plus the food served downstairs was lovely too. Would definitely stay here again if I visit Reykjavik again.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends

Reviewed 28 May 2016

I chose this hostel because of the location and the price, and I got so lucky. You are right in the heart of Reykjavik (keep in mind the city is small), with lots of bars and restaurants within walking distance. The rooms are minimalistic, but clean, and the bathrooms were always clean as well. There is a restaurant and bar downstairs but the noise is not bad at all. But the real gem here are the people. The staff was so kind to me and my sister, they booked all of our excursions for us, helped us rent a car, gave us advice on what to see, and let my sister in late at night when she had too much to drink. I can't recommend this hostel enough.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 April 2016

The location of the hostel is great, right on Laugarvegur (the main shopping street), however you pay the price with the noise. There is a busy social area downstairs open to the public which you have to walk through to get to your room. The noise from the area can be heard throughout the stairwell and it attracts the noisiest groups of backpackers. We didn't have a good quality sleep for the 3 nights we were here. The dorm was very compact and the shower and kitchen were quite dirty.
The worst part was the staff who barely gave us eye contact or conversation as we checked in and approached them for help throughout our stay, hence the lower rating. It's free and easy to be polite! The hostel has a lot of potential to be better.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2016

The staff seemed very knowledgeable about everything.
The hostel however is on Laugavegur and my room faced onto a smoking area of a bar and was extremely loud.
When I checked in my key was put into an envelope with all the information about the room and hostel printed on it which was very handy to have.
The toilet I used was small and not so clean.
They also have a secured area to keep my luggage after I checked out which was free.
This would be a perfect place to stay if you are wanting to enjoy the nightlife in downtown reykjavik as they are situated on top of quite a popular bar.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Bronagh K
Reviewed 12 February 2016

Good accommodation and good price! Nice to meet good people. Very nice loccation. It is located downtown near to the most activities in Reykjavik. Next to the bus station and supermarket. Also pubs and bars...

Room Tip: Enjoy yourself