“Go where locals eat a fixed price killer meal”
Review of Forrettabarinn

Forrettabarinn
Ranked #4 of 516 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Price range: US$16 - US$65
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: We serve starters of all sizes from around the world, made out of Iceland's freshest ingredients and seasonal game. Forrettabarinn is a true gem in the oldest part of town, in the fresh sea air down by the harbor.Our wine and beer-list matches perfectly the spirit of the ever changing menu of our sometimes "experimental kitchen".We offer you exciting new angles to traditional dishes with a vibrant atmosphere and warm service.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I walked by Foretta with the owner of the AirB&B as we moved toward the harbor-area apartment. I asked if it was worth visiting. Arni responded with a hearty, “Oh yes, most definitely,” He liked the small plates (tapas) and said locals go there, too. When Icelanders say this, Listen. It is the same advice in any city: get away from the Radisson and Bubba Gumps and get into a neighborhood or at least away from the big hotels.
I ate here last night with my husband and the way to go for a real treat is the three course fixed price menu. For 60 K (our prices may be reversed.) I had delicate and delicious carpaccio, lamb prepared shredded and as a fillet, followed by
Creme Brûlée. For 69K Mike had The Seahorse Special, starting with Langasteen bisque. This is a local, smaller lobster. Next course was a grilled horse steak with potatoes and vegetables. He compared it to a very tender beef. “They must have let that horse lay around a little bit,” he guessed. Dessert was a chocolate mousse cake.
The food is phenomenal but so is the company. Our handsome young waiter told us so much about Christmas food traditions, growing up in the country, how Iceland survived 2008 (TOURISM played a big part). It was a magical moment of the trip. The place is a hard reservation to secure so plan ahead. It will be a highlight of the trip!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

A local friend recommended this and the experience was totally worth it. The food was excellent, the happy hour convenient for our schedule and really nice atmosphere and service.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Had the salmon to start, then the horse for main - both excellent!

First time I've ever had horse (knowingly), the only thing scandalous is that it isn't served in more places in the UK!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I found here accidentally. As a vegetarian I couldn't except better dish than what they provided for me.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Very nice place to eat and not located in the busy city centre street. Good and nice diner an nice servers.