“great stay !”

B14 Hostel
and 1 more site!
B14 Hostel
Reviewed 2 September 2017

When I first booked the hostel I was worried after reading the awful reviews lol but Maria (the owner) was kind and she replied to all my emails.
When you get there there is no front desk it feels like a modern appartement. The front door is lock so you have to enter a code to get in and for the rooms it's the same. I was in a all female room. It was very cosy. The curtains made it more intimate. There is no lockers but when I was leaving for the day I was putting all my stuff on my bed or under it and I was closing the curtains. There was always someone from the staff on scene during the day. The whole place was cleaned everyday. There is 2 bathroom one for men and the other for women. Beware the sinks are tiny haha ! Otherwise there is 2 showers. One of them had a toilet and a sink.
The resting area was pretty big there was huge tables and also a living room space with cosy sofa.
The kitchen is well equipped.
Since I was going on excursions pretty much all week I went and bought groceries and I left my bag in the big fridge they have. There is two groceries store at less than 5 min away. One is called Bonus you will recognized this one by the pink pig as a sign and there is also Hagkaup that one is open 24/7. Bonus is cheaper but Hagkaup had more vegan options it was more suitable for me.
If you are looking for a "party" hostel I can tell you that is not the place. It's a nice and quiet space were you can rest. WIFI was working great, I had difficulty to connect maybe one time because that night we where a lot in the common area.
Otherwise area speaking i'm not gonna lie it's a bit far from downtown. By walk it's about an hour But it's great to walk around the city and discover the area while you get downtown. The thing I liked a lot was that the buses where close by and so going downtown by bus only took 10-15 min !
I mainly took the buses number 3 and number 6 at Skeifan bus stop !
Beware the bus ticket are kind of expensive. It's 400 Krona for one, I bought 6 of them and it cost me close to 36$ CAD.
You'll soon realize that pretty much everything is expensive in Iceland especially food !! I would recommend to pack some stuff to eat. Pasta, rice, oatmeal etc. The cereals and milk at the Hostel was free and also a lot of people was leaving free food behind.
I stayed a week in Iceland, groceries speaking it cost me around 300$ CAD. I would also recommend that you book your tour online it will be cheaper I would also recommande Grey line excursion they have a pick up at B14- Maria's place (which is the name of this hostel when you book a tour). They were always in time and I was always their first stop !
There is a lot of geothermal bath in Reykjavik one of the is called Laugardalslaug it's the biggest geothermal bath in the city, it's only 950 krona and the good news is that it's only 30 min walks from the hostel ! Overall I loved my experience in Iceland and I appreciated my stay at the B14 Hostel ! I would recommend this hostel if you have a car or if you are motivated to take the city buses or just even walk !

Stayed: June 2017
1  Thank jsibyjessica

Reviewed 25 September 2016

I want to focus on what is positive about this hostel, but it was just such an awkward experience. There is no front desk and thats fine, but it would have been nice to know that the hostel doubles as a kids singing studio, and at 11am you are promptly kicked out of the only place in the hostel where you can comfortably lounge and plan your day; more to that effect, the staff of the studio were incredibly rude and unfriendly, giving evil eyes and passive aggressive signals that they expected guests of the "hostel" to bail. forget good vibes.

the kitchen is really nice, well stocked and clean, and there is a grocery store/ beds were alright, i had sheets, and there are blinds built into the bunkbeds for privacy. all nice. showers were clogged though, but cleaning staff came through on time.

still, nothing justifies being subtly berated just for wanting to use the wifi in the hostel you jjust payed 5000~ kronur to get a bunk bed in an 8 person room.

just go to oddsson, or galaxy pod.

Room Tip: just don't
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 September 2016 via mobile

We booked our stay through the hostel website and got a confirmation that the payment went through. When we arrived there, we realised we should have gotten some kind of other Email including the entry code. Another hostel guest let us in and after we called Maria, it became clear that she didn't send us an additional email , because the hostel was actually fully booked and bookings through the website should not have been working - but she gladly took the money and did not say a word until we basically showed up at her doorstep. We could stay there for three nights, but had to find somewhere else to stay for the remaining two nights - a fun task in late August in Reykjavik, which she refused to help us with. To this day she still owes us the money we paid in advance for the last two nights and, as others already pointed out, can't get in touch with her since.

Apart from this nasty experience with the owner the hostel was alright, hence the two points. The facilities are clean and the kitchen is well equipped. The bunk beds have curtains, but most of the power outlets and night lights don't work.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 August 2016

I recently got a surprise trip to Iceland for my 60th birthday. From the word 'go' my experience with B14 was not enjoyable. I got dropped miles away from the place by the bus because he could not get any closer. The hostel is miles away from anywhere. When I got to my bunk, I was shocked. There was no linen or bedding on the bed. I went to find, and was told that 'you should have a sleeping bag' which is not advertised. I then went to use the bathroom facilities and there was no toilet paper in any of the cubicles. I laid my head down to rest for 20 minutes and the man across from me sat naked in his bunk, I left the hostel to get something to eat and another male sat at the front door puking his dinner up. I called Maria to say that I would not be able to stay there, she offered me accommodation for an additional $800 on top of what was already given to her. I refused and said this was ludacris. She called back to say that she could move me to another place, which happened on the Saturday - I arrived to find a huge bunch of Americans on a stag doo, and I was sharing a room with them. Fortunately I did get moved to another room on my own.
I called Maria several times to close out the additional payment, and received no response. Since I have gotten home, my daughter's credit card has had deduction of £430 taken from her account. This payment was on top of the money she had already paid out. This is completely illegal, she did not authorise any payment and Maria has just helped herself to the money from the card details that were originally provided.
We have been trying to contact Maria since I arrived home, with no luck. She is ignoring calls, texts and emails. Extremely disappointed and upset. This has caused a lot of hurt between my family. I would never stay here again, and urge anyone who is looking to stay here to avoid at all costs.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 August 2016 via mobile

Generally not a nice place, difficult to find and out of the way.

Firstly, I am aware that this was obviously a hostel, however for the cost, it did not offer value for money. It was clean, but standard amenities, such as toilet roll, towels and bed linen were not provided.

Cooking facilities and toilet facilities inadequate for the amount of people. We were cramped in like sardines

Stay away! Value for money was ZERO! Do not go here.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo