“Interesting”
Review of Imperial Hotel

Imperial Hotel
Ranked #23 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed 8 December 2016

When we arrived the receptionists said they had no booking for us. I was shocked and showed them our booking made 8 weeks previously (through On The Beach) for a garden room. They were rather abrupt and disappeared to a back room leaving us feeling a bit unwelcome after a 12 hour journey. 10 minutes later we were relieved to be given a key to a pool view room.
The room was quite large, kept very clean and mostly very quiet. The mattresses were very hard though and we could feel the springs so we were very uncomfortable. I asked for duvets to soften the bed and was told that the housekeeper would sort it out but nothing was done and it was on the third day that I discovered a cupboard on the corridor full of old duvets and put a couple on the bed myself.
Towels were changed daily and beds made.
The reception area was quite beautiful.
Good WiFi signal.
Staff mostly friendly.
The location of the hotel is excellent- a 10 minute walk to the waterfront and the ferry to Valletta and there are also plenty of cafes and restaurants on the waterfront. Dimech bus stop is a few yards away from the hotel -you can take the 21 bus to Valletta. From the waterfront there are buses that go all over the island and cost €1.50 for a 2 hour journey!

Room Tip: Pool or garden for quiet and good view
1  Thank Chrissie54321
Sailor89, General Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2016

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you very much for sharing you observations following your stay with us at the Imperial Hotel. I admit that I am very upset to read that housekeeping fell short in sorting out your request and that you had to open a cupboard storing old duvets as you did not feel comfortable on semi-orthopaedic mattresses. I apologise for this inconvenience and can assure you that I will be calling in the House Keeper on this matter.

I would appreciate if you could contact me in regards to the welcoming, although I am sure that the receptionist on duty 'disappeared' to checking your voucher. Unfortunately we had a large number of clients who had paid for their holidays and were left out-on-the-street by a particular on-line company who had transferred itself out of the UK to avoid regulations, yet was only to happy to steal thousands of Euros from many clients and local hotels who were left out of pockets in the millions.

I am informed by our reservations department that the 10 minutes or so were required to make a number of overseas calls to trance your reservation, which, as you kindly stated, was happily sorted out by our team.

Once again I thank you for finding time to share your opinion on our team.

Yours truly,

Reviewed 7 December 2016

I'll give this place 1 star because it was actually open, and we did get a room. Not a garden room, as booked (at a premium rate), nor a room that had been cleaned properly, with beds that could properly be slept in. Nor did it have a shower with doors on (it did have 1 door, just a gap where the other one should have been. Never mind they're coming to fix it tomorrow we were told, every day of our stay!). Noisy and with staff who are clearly confused as to who is there for the convenience of whom, maybe they have been told the guests are there only to make their employment meaningful. The Imperial is a throwback to the days of glory and empire, and was probably at some time in the past a prestigious place to stay. Someone needs to inform the owners and staff, those days were long, long ago. If you are going there, enjoy your stay, but take a tent and a camp bed.

It may be some people enjoyed far superior service and accommodation than we did, and that there are good facilities here, we saw no evidence of that at all. There were a number of students staying, and we were (reliably) informed that it is often used for student accommodation.

Perhaps that is the answer, it is a hostel, not a hotel, they just keep misplacing the 'S'.

Room Tip: Don't stay here !
3  Thank trifleadviser

Dear esteemed client,

I would like to thank you for finding time to comment on your stay with us, however I can assure you that for a hotel to be classified, this is done by the pertinent qualified authorities who follow a rigorous protocol.

For the sake of readers, I wish to draw your kind attention to the definition of a hostel which is "a budget-oriented, shared-room ("dormitory") accommodation that accepts individual travellers (typically backpackers) or groups for short-term stays, and that provides common areas and communal facilities. To be considered a hostel, the property must provide short-term, shared (dormitory-style) accommodation for individual travellers, though many hostels also provide private rooms. The word "dormitory" refers to a room where travellers independently book individual beds in a shared room as opposed to booking entire rooms like in a hotel or guesthouse."

I have do doubt at all that you did not share your room with others and thus, your comment where by you define the Imperial as a hostel is superfluous especially when comments are coming from unqualified persons. I can only assure readers that the Imperial hosted and will be hosting high-level conferences which include high level international government officers and ministers who had only praise to the level of service our team offered.

I now refer to your comment that you did not get a Garden view room as booked. I want to clarify that we never restrict ourselves with either a Garden View room or a Pool View room when contracting. We contract Garden/Pool View rooms at a supplement and when a client requests a particular type of room, depending on the occupancy of the hotel, we try our best to accommodate the requests. From your comments I am sure that the hotel offered you a Garden/Pool view room – being that I am aware that we suffered damage in one of our pool view rooms’ shower. Obviously this replacement had to be ordered.

Your comments relating to our team are understandable when you mentioned the empire. Unfortunately I have to draw your attention that you lost your empire many many years ago and I think you need to come to terms on this matter.

The hotel accommodates any paying clients irrespective of age, colour, sex, religion and surely does note engage in any sort or type of discrimination which we resent.

I can assure all readers that they do not need “to bring a tent and a camp bed” which comments makes a mockery of the person who wrote it.

I wish you all the very best and thank you once again for your precious time.

Reviewed 9 November 2016

We arrived in Malta to find out our reservation had been cancelled by the company we had booked through with out informing us. The manager at imperial hotel was a life saver and found us acomadition in the hotel for the 10 days we were here in malta. He was extremely accommodating and extremely helpful.

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you very much for finding time to comment and share your opinion with potential clients.

It was truly a pleasure to assist you following the ordeal you encountered when you had booked with a defunct company who was only happy to take your money and run away leaving you, like many others, out of pocket and in an unacceptable situation.

At least we were able to help out even when that meant that we had to make alternate arrangements for some clients who arrived after you for some days. I publicly thank them all for their cooperation and understanding.

While thanking you once again, I do hope that we shall have the pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.

With best regards,

Reviewed 8 November 2016

Not too exciting all around. Rooms are just okay, breakfast is boring.
It might have been special at the end of the last century, but it is only worthy of 2 and a half stars. A bit shopworn! Front desk staff very nice.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Philip M
Reviewed 1 November 2016

Our 2nd visit here and very satisfied with our stay. Lovely room, towels changed daily and bedding changed regularly. Slight musty odour in one wardrobe. Looking out onto garden. Shampoo and soap provided, toilet rolls kept stocked up. Tea/coffee facilities. Excellent A/C unit on wall. We were on B&B basis, can't comment on dinners but breakfast was okay, nothing special. Staff friendly and courteous, room kept clean and tidy. We were celebrating our Golden Wedding anniversary this time. We intend to return in January for our eldest daughters birthday, which may be our last stay as there are plans to convert the hotel to a care/residential home in 2017.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Raymond B
Sailor89, General Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2016

Dear Mr. B,

Thank you very much for your comments following your second stay with us.

At the time being we are accepting reservations for early next year since no building permits have been issued since this is a very sensitive building being over 150 years old, possibly the first building in Sliema but definitely the oldest serving hotel in Malta with lots of historical events that happened in here.

Once again I thank you for your time and comments which are truly appreciated by the Team and do hope that you will have the time for another stay shortly.

With best regards,