US$208
US$88
Cancelon
  • Breakfast included
  • Bar/Lounge
Granny's Inn Hostel(Sliema)(Great Value!)
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 7 December 2016

I'll give this place 1 star because it was actually open, and we did get a room. Not a garden room, as booked (at a premium rate), nor a room that had been cleaned properly, with beds that could properly be slept in. Nor did it have a shower with doors on (it did have 1 door, just a gap where the other one should have been. Never mind they're coming to fix it tomorrow we were told, every day of our stay!). Noisy and with staff who are clearly confused as to who is there for the convenience of whom, maybe they have been told the guests are there only to make their employment meaningful. The Imperial is a throwback to the days of glory and empire, and was probably at some time in the past a prestigious place to stay. Someone needs to inform the owners and staff, those days were long, long ago. If you are going there, enjoy your stay, but take a tent and a camp bed.

It may be some people enjoyed far superior service and accommodation than we did, and that there are good facilities here, we saw no evidence of that at all. There were a number of students staying, and we were (reliably) informed that it is often used for student accommodation.

Perhaps that is the answer, it is a hostel, not a hotel, they just keep misplacing the 'S'.

Room Tip: Don't stay here !
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank trifleadviser
Sailor89, General Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2016

Dear esteemed client,

I would like to thank you for finding time to comment on your stay with us, however I can assure you that for a hotel to be classified, this is done by the pertinent qualified authorities who follow a rigorous protocol.

For the sake of readers, I wish to draw your kind attention to the definition of a hostel which is "a budget-oriented, shared-room ("dormitory") accommodation that accepts individual travellers (typically backpackers) or groups for short-term stays, and that provides common areas and communal facilities. To be considered a hostel, the property must provide short-term, shared (dormitory-style) accommodation for individual travellers, though many hostels also provide private rooms. The word "dormitory" refers to a room where travellers independently book individual beds in a shared room as opposed to booking entire rooms like in a hotel or guesthouse."

I have do doubt at all that you did not share your room with others and thus, your comment where by you define the Imperial as a hostel is superfluous especially when comments are coming from unqualified persons. I can only assure readers that the Imperial hosted and will be hosting high-level conferences which include high level international government officers and ministers who had only praise to the level of service our team offered.

I now refer to your comment that you did not get a Garden view room as booked. I want to clarify that we never restrict ourselves with either a Garden View room or a Pool View room when contracting. We contract Garden/Pool View rooms at a supplement and when a client requests a particular type of room, depending on the occupancy of the hotel, we try our best to accommodate the requests. From your comments I am sure that the hotel offered you a Garden/Pool view room – being that I am aware that we suffered damage in one of our pool view rooms’ shower. Obviously this replacement had to be ordered.

Your comments relating to our team are understandable when you mentioned the empire. Unfortunately I have to draw your attention that you lost your empire many many years ago and I think you need to come to terms on this matter.

The hotel accommodates any paying clients irrespective of age, colour, sex, religion and surely does note engage in any sort or type of discrimination which we resent.

I can assure all readers that they do not need “to bring a tent and a camp bed” which comments makes a mockery of the person who wrote it.

I wish you all the very best and thank you once again for your precious time.

Reviewed 9 November 2016

We arrived in Malta to find out our reservation had been cancelled by the company we had booked through with out informing us. The manager at imperial hotel was a life saver and found us acomadition in the hotel for the 10 days we were here in malta. He was extremely accommodating and extremely helpful.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you very much for finding time to comment and share your opinion with potential clients.

It was truly a pleasure to assist you following the ordeal you encountered when you had booked with a defunct company who was only happy to take your money and run away leaving you, like many others, out of pocket and in an unacceptable situation.

At least we were able to help out even when that meant that we had to make alternate arrangements for some clients who arrived after you for some days. I publicly thank them all for their cooperation and understanding.

While thanking you once again, I do hope that we shall have the pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.

With best regards,

Reviewed 8 November 2016

Not too exciting all around. Rooms are just okay, breakfast is boring.
It might have been special at the end of the last century, but it is only worthy of 2 and a half stars. A bit shopworn! Front desk staff very nice.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Philip M
Reviewed 1 November 2016

Our 2nd visit here and very satisfied with our stay. Lovely room, towels changed daily and bedding changed regularly. Slight musty odour in one wardrobe. Looking out onto garden. Shampoo and soap provided, toilet rolls kept stocked up. Tea/coffee facilities. Excellent A/C unit on wall. We were on B&B basis, can't comment on dinners but breakfast was okay, nothing special. Staff friendly and courteous, room kept clean and tidy. We were celebrating our Golden Wedding anniversary this time. We intend to return in January for our eldest daughters birthday, which may be our last stay as there are plans to convert the hotel to a care/residential home in 2017.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Raymond B
Sailor89, General Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2016

Dear Mr. B,

Thank you very much for your comments following your second stay with us.

At the time being we are accepting reservations for early next year since no building permits have been issued since this is a very sensitive building being over 150 years old, possibly the first building in Sliema but definitely the oldest serving hotel in Malta with lots of historical events that happened in here.

Once again I thank you for your time and comments which are truly appreciated by the Team and do hope that you will have the time for another stay shortly.

With best regards,

Reviewed 31 October 2016 via mobile

Well where to start. Holiday in Malta. It was very difficult to choose a hotel, because most of them had so many bad reviews. I found the Imperial hotel in Sliema that didn't have that many I was really keen on to book a room in this hotel. Because I thought it would be just okay for our stay. I found the hotel very interesting by architecture and historical feeling and in good looking with short walking distance to St Julians and Sliema. The welcoming was really nice. The reception room is enormous. The blonde receptionist I forgot her name was really welcoming and helpful and other receptionist also. I am not a moaner person so I didn't complain but I regret I should. All our holiday we paid for we have spend in a smelly, damp room (135) It's very dangerous to a health hazard. And I don't think this hotel should be running and renting this type of rooms with bad ventilation conditions. However the food in the hotel restaurant was good but with bad times, the last entry for a dinner is just before 8.30pm and that is really early. We have missed our dinner once because our late return from Gozo. In general. Hotel need repairs and maintenance, I have never seen a sun umbrellas in any hotel with massive holls!
Would not return for any cheaper price and definitely not recommended. It's really shame how Malta take care of their customers without a care!

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Katerina H

Dear Ms. Katerina,

Thank you very much for taking time to share your views following your stay with us.

The room you indicated is situated in the older part of the property - which is over 150 years, however I would have appreciated if you had drawn our attention that you were not feeling comfortable in that room. I cannot understand your concerns with regards to the 'health hazard' and ' bad ventilation'. How can one state that there is 'bad ventilation' when due to the fact that the building is over 150 years old, the rooms have high ceilings with windows that are over 6 foot high with 4 feet wide?

Yes unfortunately we did suffer some damage following a thunderstorm followed by very high winds which caused a lot of damage in other parts of Malta also. It was unfortunate that our maintenance staff did not remove the damaged sun umbrellas in time as they were involved in repairs to other parts of the property which needed top priority.

Once again I do apologise for any shortcomings and thank you for your time.

Yours truly,