“Traditional Accomodation, Tranquillity, and Local...”
other traveller has booked this property
P9168984 P9168985
Vasilica Apartment Bedroom
Helena Apartment Sitting/Dining Room
Helena Apartment
Angelica Apartment Bedroom
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Any
greekcypr...
Athens, Greece
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 3,065 helpful votes
“Traditional Accomodation, Tranquillity, and Local Authentic Cuisine.”
Reviewed 13 June 2012 for a stay in June 2012

I wanted to include one or two Traditional Country Houses in my Guides on this trip to Cyprus and decided to book at Vouni Lodge. I read that the village is small and very picturesque with beautiful cobblestone alleys that made me curious to visit for some photos. I always urge people visiting Cyprus to spend at least two or three days in Agro Hotels or Country Houses because here they can find the Authentic Cypriot, the Cypriot culture and taste the island’s warm hospitality of locals.
The “Real Cyprus” is found here in the beautiful countryside of the island and not out at the beach Resorts that are scattered all over the island.
The village of Vouni is accessible by bus from Limassol in case somebody is on budget and cannot afford to hire a car. Buses are very affordable in Cyprus, and I paid just One Euro to come here from Limassol. I took Bus #40 from opposite the Old Hospital and had a pleasant and interesting drive through other little villages (Kandou, Souni, Kyvides, Ayios Ambrosios). There is a smaller bus at Ayios Amvrosios that is waiting there and in seconds after I arrived with some others the driver drove us to Vouni! So, the access is very simple, the drivers were really helpful and talkative and seemed to know nearly all the people on the bus. Because Vouni is very close to Limassol I can say it is ideally located for both country and beach lovers the whole year round.
It is nestled in the foothills of the Troodos range in the heart of the wine region. I loved my strolls in the picturesque village with quaint cobble-stone streets, the traditional old houses many of which date back to Venetian times, -houses with archways and courtyards full of colourful flowers with stunning scenery all around. It is an ideal little village to come to, especially for people who are after a tranquil holiday to rest on the large terrace, to have breakfast under the olive tree of the garden in the morning sunshine and enjoy the view over the village and the mountains around.
The house “Vouni Lodge” is right at the entrance of the village. It is a two storey stone house built more than 200 years ago. Mrs. Helen Diomidous who is the owner has restored the building to its original splendour. I had one of the three separate one-bedroom apartments -the Vasilika which consisted of a separate bedroom apartment that can take 2 more persons (children mostly) in the large sitting area.
It was fully equipped with all the necessary amenities. The apartments are ideal for both summer and winter because they have central heating as well as a fire place.
I met some very interesting people here by the way. It was the president ‘mouhtaris’ of the village Mr. Nikolas and Yiannos the secretary. Mr. Nikolas took me around to see the most interesting spots in the village and I want to thank him for this. Along with us we had one of the two couples who were staying at the Lodge as well.
There are three restaurants in the village but I had the chance to visit the two. The other one was closed.
It is “Takis Taverna”, popular with local dishes, and the Hellenic Traditional Cuisine “Orea Hellas” which I will write separately about each restaurant and which I highly recommend. I found authentic people here, amazing dishes, and real Cypriot hospitality!!
I visited the school with the president of the village Mr. Nikolas and I came across the youngest lady of the village who is Antonia who runs the school’s canteen. Antonia makes home-made rice puddings, mahalepi – a Cypriot delicacy, and serves snacks, coffee, soft drinks and beer. It was a clever idea and way to keep the beautiful school premises open. The view from the school is stunning. Usually when the village’s coffee shops close early in the afternoon, locals come here to watch TV and have some coffee or a snack before returning home.
I highly recommend that people visiting Vouni to book and stay at this beautiful Lodge. There are activities and places of interest around for the very demanding visitor and this Lodge can provide the Best accommodation in the round area.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The whole package was ok.
Liked least: I cannot think of anything that I liked less..it was wonderful
Travelling group: Solo Traveller
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
kathsugde...
Bristol, United Kingdom
“authentic Cyprus”
Reviewed 13 October 2011 for a stay in October 2011
people found this review helpful

We stayed in Angelica which affords a superb view across the foothills of the Troodos mountains. The village of Vouni is beautifully free of the rat-race of property developments by foreigners which seem to characterise so much of this island. Helen and Tony were very friendly and helpful when I needed some medical help. The apartment is fairly basic and a little low on crockery, but is comfortable and a great base from which to explore the region.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: the location
Liked least: the taverna seemed not to be open at all.
Travelling group: With Spouse/Partner
Your age range 35-49
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
camira34
brisbane
“Extremely disappointing”
Reviewed 6 June 2011 for a stay in May 2011
people found this review helpful

We were extremely disappointed in our 2 day stay in Vouni Lodge.
We had no hot water for showers on our first night and the central heating only came on for 1 and a half hours which was not enough at this time of year. For 65 euros hot water is an essential, not a luxury. We had to go to bed just to keep warm.
The apartment (Angelica) is very basically furnished and the access stairs a bit rickety.
We were disturbed by the occupants of the 2 downstairs apartments who brought 3 yapping dogs with them. As we were preparing to leave one of the dogs bit my husband on the ankle, leaving 2 teeth holes in his trousers.
It was certainly not the peaceful location we had been led to believe. I received an apology from the owner, but no refund.
I would not recommend Vouni Lodge to anyone, least of all families with children, unless their pet policy is changed

Check-in / front desk Service
Travelling group: With Spouse/Partner
Your age range 50-64
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Cologne
Reviewed 2 October 2010 for a stay in September 2010
person found this review helpful

Check-in / front desk
Liked best: the countryside atmosphere
Liked least: nothing actually, only the kitchen could have been a bit cleaner
Travelling group: Spouse / significant other
Your age range 35-44
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
Friends getaway A romantic getaway
Older travelers Families with young children
Families with teenagers Tourists
London
Reviewed 29 September 2010 for a stay in September 2010
person found this review helpful

Check-in / front desk Service
Your age range 18-24
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing