“not a 4*”

Eleni Holiday Village
Ranked #16 of 88 Speciality Lodging in Paphos
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Was booked in to the Phafian park & got moved to the Eleni a few days before we were due to fly. As i have stayed in the Phafian park before, the Eleni Village is NOT up to the standard or cleanliness of the Phafian park.

We arrived at midnight and was greeted by a nice man on reception who gave us our room keys, our luggage was taken by a young man called Tassos and we went along with him to our rooms. We asked the at the bar for sandwiches & drinks which were given.

Theres many things i can say about the Eleni so lets start

Reception
The reception has a weird smell, all the time it was not only noticed by us but all the other guests & our rep. No air conditioning bar 2 small air con portable machines this was not enough.

Rooms
Very basic and need updating badly. Thats all i can say.

Showers
Ridiculous, even boiling hot or freezing cold. For 3 days 2 out of 3 of our rooms had no hot water just freezing cold which resulted in 6 of us sharing one bathroom.

Toilet Bins
Toilet bins are stated that they are changed every day, Some rooms of our party the toilet bins were not changed for up to 6 days.

Towels
Towels were old, hard and ragged. 1 member of my party had her towels changed and was given dirty towels which were smeared with feces, We of course complained to the reception staff and were just given new towels with no apology.

Floors
Rooms were not swept or mopped regular, about 4/5 times in 14 days.

Cockroaches
In one room there were cockroaches, when we reported to reception, we were simply given tin of spray again no apology no offer to come and sort them out

Basins
Basins and bathroom sides were only cleaned twice in the whole 14 days we were there.

All inclusive food
The food was an absolute joke, never have I ever experienced bad food like this. Very poor choice of anything. Every single piece of meat was in some sort of sauce which contained wine. Nearly every dish, pasta and salad had cheese all over them. As 2 people in our party cannot consume cheese, chocolate or wine for medical reasons, they were forced to eat soup every night or simply eat out and spend money when we were all inclusive. Puddings were very limited Melon, oranges and grapes on occasions was as far as it went. Hot Puddings to still very limited e.g. bread and butter pudding served 7 times in 14 days, the other alternative was dried up cake. I have never been anywhere we you cannot get ice cream in the evening/with dinner there was none. My advice stock up at breakfast which wasnt so bad (bacon, eggs, waffles, beans etc) or at the snack bar (burgers, omlettes, chips, toasties etc)

Air-conditioning
The air-conditioning in reception and dining room was not working, they did have 2 small portable machines. But they were not adequate to keep the rooms cool. We couldn't wait to leave the table each meal time. Air con in rooms wasnt so bad but still NOT up to 4* standards

Reception Staff
Bar 2 people reception staff were rude and unhelpful

Bar staff
Bar manager Chris, Andri, Adam & the lady that collected glasses in the evening (didnt catch name) all absolutely lovely can not do enough for you. One lady called Honey needs to go back to school and learn some manners so rude, unfriendly and no manners. Did complain about her & at the end of the holiday she did manage a fake smile.

Pool

I have no complaints about the pools what so ever, always clean, plenty of room, always managed to get sunbeds together for the whole 2 weeks (there were 6 of us) Tassos the life guard (fastest person i know to do the rubix cube) was absolutely lovely, well mannered, friendly & polite. Never been anywhere that has a life guard so thats an added extra.

Entertainment.
Entertainment was great cheesy but thats just what you want. Entertainment staff Alex, Sophie & GiGi work there arses off for very little money & they made our holiday. Evening Enertainment ranges from caberet, quizzes, karaoke, fire show, mr & mrs, casino plus more., On sunday there day off they still have a live singer who was really good. You MUST MUST get up & do the club dance known as song number 9 you wont know the words but will end up singing your own. Mini disco is great for kids and adults lol you will not get the songs out of your head still now i find myself singing choco latte lol Bingo is really good, we ending up winning 165 euros on our second to last night. Watch Alex and his bingo balls though he tends to drop them all over the floor. Daytime Entertainment, Archery, Vollyball, Water polo and killer darts with Sophie, which was nice and you never felt pressured into doing it. Aqua fit with Alex (seriously i have no idea where that man gets his energy) that was always a laugh one day only 2 people wanted to participate and he still went through the whole routine with them. Please do it at least once when your on holiday its so funny.

Gym/Indoor pool/sauna
Gym was basic, but everything in there worked. Indoor pool looked clean however again no air con so never went in there. Sauna door hanging off and was never on or working just left with empty glasses & rubbish in there.

Shop
The ladies in the shop where lovely. However shop is quite high priced i assume its because its onsite. To the right of the entrance of the hotel about a 4 min walk is a lovely air conditioned shop thats much more low & reasonably priced.

Cigarettes
Was told not to buy at the markets by the rep and many people. They are pretty much all the same price around the harbour & little shops between 38-40 euros for 200. Reception staff also told us you were only allowed to bring 200 back but the correct amount told by our rep is 800 per person.

Apart from the sun, entertainment/staff & the pool i have nothing good to say about this place and if it wasnt for those things i dont think i could of stayed there for 2 weeks. The whole place wants ripping down & starting again.

1  Thank HolidayGirlie2486

Reviewed 16 August 2012

We stayed at Eleni for 5 days in one bedroom apt. The accomodation was o.k., the rooms were spacious and clean. Overall I was going to rate it above average but on our last day everything was spoiled from the very rude behaviour of the pool bar staff. On three occasions the lady serving there was so rude that you wonder whether customers really deserve this.And we were not on the ''all inclusive basis'' meaning that we were paying in full for our drinks and food which were not at all cheap! Of course we complaint to the manager right away who just apologised saying that they were working ''under pressure''.
Diving in the pool was not allowed (there were big signs) but this was going on from people of all ages and the person in charge was doing absolutely nothing. The result was to get splashed very very frequently.

2  Thank Anthi I
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I have just returned from 2 weeks at the Eleni with my husband and 2 children (aged 11 and 16). There are good and bad points, so here's a summary of both which will hopefully give you a balanced view of what it's like.

Sunbeds: During the first week there was no issue with getting sunbeds by the pool. The second week however there was an influx of large parties (mainly Greek families) and it was impossible to find anything. In the end I noticed that people didn't even bother removing their towels at all and just left them there overnight. We opted for the sunbeds on the grass overlooking the sea and there were plenty of those available.

Pools: The main pool was lovely and started at ankle deep and gradually got deeper, perfect for children and cooling off. You could even sit in there to read a book as long as you didn't mind the odd splashed page! Unfortunately during our 2nd week it was closed for around an hour most days, as the Greek children kept using it as a toilet and there was poo in the pool. A number of our fellow guests also started getting tummy upsets at this time but I'm not sure if the 2 things are related. The sports pool at the top was great for volleyball etc but a gang of Greek men/lads broke the net by jumping on it and it was still waiting to be fixed when we left. The little kids pool seemed to be fine. There's also an indoor pool but I wouldn't recommend it as the water was stagnant and smelled. This was source of the bad odour that a lot of people have complained about in the recption area, as the indoor pool was directly underneath.

Gym and Sauna: The gym equipment was old, which isn't necessarily a problem, but much of it was broken. The gym was downstairs next to the indoor pool and there was no air conditioning so it was pretty much impossible to use it. The sauna was broken and out of action the whole time we were there.

Food and Drink: This is the only holiday where I have actually lost weight! I pretty much survived on salad, melon and grapes for 2 weeks. Breakfast is absolutely fine (cereal, toast, bacon, eggs etc) so my advice is to make the most of it and eat well first thing. The buffet lunch in the restarant is average, so try to go earlier or later to the snack bar. We usually managed to find something each evening on the buffet (although there were a couple of nights when we just couldn't face any of the main dishes). There's no problem with the drinks and cocktails are included, which is unusual for AI. Try the gin fizz and brandy sour.

Staff: The lady on reception with short hair (apologies I didn't get her name) is lovely and extremely helpful - the others are not and pretend to speak no English when you have a problem. The table-waiting staff worked long hours and were generally cheerful. Most of the bar staff though are great and a special mention to Andri, Honey and Adam who were fantastic.

Rooms: A bit dated and basic but again this wasn't a problem. We had a leak in our bathroom that we reported on our first day but it was never fixed. The worst thing though was the shower. The first week it was OK but when the resort was full during the 2nd week the water was always cold or downright freezing. We did speak to reception several times but they just said that they had run out of hot water. We tried leaving the pool earlier but it didn't make any difference.

Entertainment: The entertainment team worked so hard and did a great job. Alex, Sophie and Gigi are lovely and really enthusiastic. Yes some of the evening stuff is a bit cheesy but we just laughed and went along with it. My son enjoyed the archery, volleyball and of course killer darts. He made lots of friends with children of all nationalities.

We managed to have a good time overall, mainly because we did our best to ignore the bad points. Although the freezing shower and poor food did get us down in the end and we were glad to come home. We'd go back to Cyprus but wouldn't return to Eleni and if you can afford to pay a bit extra then I'd encourage you to stay somewhere else. If not then hopefully you now know what to expect and will make the best of it just as we did.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view in block 31 and you will have a bit of piece and be near the pool.
4  Thank SurreyMrsB
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I returned from Eleni Village yesterday. We booked it as a last minute holiday but it was not cheap. Lots of mixed reviews on here so I thought bite the bullet and go, the most recent reviews at the time were positive so I thought it would be OK. We arrived at midnight, the check-in was with a night porter and he was very helpful and we got a carrier bag with some water and a sandwich in - nice touch, although not edible!

ROOM
Our room was like stepping back in time, similar to holidays I took with my parents in a self catering apartment in the late seventies (we booked a room with a kitchenette). The bedding and towels in our room also looked like they were from the same time zone. The temperature and speed of the air conditioning on the coolest yet fastest fan setting was like cats breath, which made for very uncomfortable nights. Beware of the water, we had a 7yr old with us and I had to run her a bath every night as we could not have used the shower. The water ran from freezing, to comfortable to scalding within seconds and was constantly like that - some nights my husband and I took cold showers because it was safer. The cleaners come round and literally whip round the room, there was hair and grit on our floor the whole time, months of dust behind the doors and the towels and bedding were changed 4 days after our arrival - we were only there 7 days! The first lot of bedding on my daughters bed had an old plaster stuck to it. On our final day we were being collected at 11.30am - we went to breakfast early having not finished packing, when we had come back the cleaners and changed the sheets and towels for the next family and made all the beds even though we were still in there!!

WAITING STAFF
Reception staff were OK, not overly friendly but service with a smile. The Maitre'd was lovely as were the cooking staff as they often came out and surveyed the food in the restaurant and always chatted. The waiting staff were beyond rude as were the bar staff. You got offered one drink at dinner or lunch and they didnt come near you again. Towards the end of our week I would order double our drinks to their dismay just so I could have more than one water in a small skinny glass!

DRINKS
Appalling quality. We pretty much drank water all day or coke. The water resembled the swimming pool taste and the coke/diet coke syrup was so diluted - we bought water from the supermarket in the end. I drank alcohol some evenings, this too was weak unless you particularly asked for more.

SUNBEDS
Everyone round the pool gets a sunbed and then they leave their towels on it for the whole period they are there. We realised this was clearly a need after a few days as the chance of a sunbed becoming available was slim to none. A couple of days we (3) shared one sunbed up against the side of the building and half way through our holiday when we did manage to secure 2 they were moved by other people wanting your spot! All sunbeds are lined up round the pool with no room to walk between, we regularly had to walk the length of the line and go round to get on our beds or pull them right out of the line, get in and pull them back in line. So you end up sitting elbow to elbow with everyone.

POOL
The pool we never saw be cleaned, there is a dirty thick tide mark round the whole pool. Out of 7 days we were there, 3 days everyone had to leave the pool as a child had done a poo in it.... gobsmacked. They added more chlorine and we had to wait 1.5hrs before getting back in. Not a tempting offer. Talking to one family who had been there 2 week, it was not an uncommon occurance.

Overall this hotel is never a 4 star. Its tired and although the building is in good repair everything in it needs updating. The entertainment staff were fine, they looked bored but probably fed up with the what they had to work with. The food was the only positive thing I could say about the place. A large selection of Greek food.

The resort is 95% full of Cypriot people. My husband is half Cypriot so I dont have issues with 'foreigners' but they are rude, loud and treat the small percentage of English that were there like 2nd class citizens. The waiting staff deal with the Cypriots first regardless how long you have been waiting. A group (10+) of English people were watching the Olympics one night in the lounge, 3 Cypriot people walked in with a member of staff turned the TV over to a local football match. When they voiced a complaint the reply was well its Cypriot football! It was a regular occurence if they wanted to watch something and no amount of complaining would change it.

Dont waste your money, I would have rather stayed at home.

6  Thank donna_everitt
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Just returned from a fantastic week at the Eleni resort with my two children aged 10 and 16.I found it was much better than my expectations as greek accom can be very basic. The studio room was really spacious and clean. The sofa bed was a bit uncomfortable and would be better for a child. After one day we went all inclusive which was really good value- plenty of choice at the restaurant and very quick,iendly service from the staff. Evening entertainment was great and suitable for all and there was plenty going on during the day for all ages without feeling pressured.
The whole atmosphere was very relaxing and friendly.
Fantastic huge pool.
Brochure pictures don't do the place justice.
My only criticism was that the on site shop did not sell any fresh food so it was not possible to even rustle up a sandwich without leaving the site- although there is a supermarket about 200 m away.
I would definitely return

Room Tip: Garden view rooms very quiet
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family