“Managing Expectations!”

Hotel Plaza Andorra
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Andorra la Vella
Reviewed 24 July 2017

July 13th ... 3 nights. Front of house staff really helpful. I believe we were uopgraded to one oif the best rooms, top floor with large balcony. Room had few design issues and a little worn in places but nothing that spoiled the stay. Comfy bed, good A/C and slept really well.
Main issue is the restaurant which is not up to standard for even a 4 star hotel. Out of season the cafeteria is converted to dining in the evening and is not ideal. No sense of occasion and so many service errors we spent most of the time wondering what would happen next. e.g. others offered bread, we had to ask for some... no oil or butter offered. Brought wine list instead of the menus then disappeared and found out only when he came for the order. Chose an expensive bottle of wine but had to start our meal while it chilled in an ice bucket. Forgot to bring the wine completely 2nd evening, same thing when asked for another bottle of water. Food delivered in a rush then gone, left looking around for missing things eg oil / aceto, pepper, missing cutlery etc..
Felt like a package tour, get them fed and get them out. Staff busy but ineffective. Felt they ran the restaurant to suit themselves not the customer. Food was OK but nothing special and the advertised Al a carte menu was not available.

Room Service: Rang on two evenings for wine to be delivered ... no answer, had to go back to the bar first time, and via Reception 2nd time.

Breakfast: Excellent selection and good produce, except for the hot food! Laid out on wide platters with nothing to keep it warm and heaven knows what it was cooked in. Struggled to get a fried egg as they had welded together, wished I hadn't, it was cold and the "axle grease" it was cooked in stayed on the palate all day. Same with the bacon.
Minor changes to the cooking and presentation of the hot food would make this a 5 star breakfast.

In summary its about managing expectations when claiming to be 5 Star Hotel. In my opinion the hotel is a slightly flawed 4 star and the restaurant 2 Star. Might not have been so critical if it was advertised as such.

FYI ....To park the car its 20 Euro a night and includes valet parking.

NB Rating below is for the Hotel not the restaurant.

Room Tip: I think it was 609 top floor with balcony, very spacious.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Marta P, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Plaza Andorra, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2017

Dear yorkshireman1945,
Thank you for your comments, the next meeting of budgets will propose your suggestions regarding the decoration and furniture of the Hotel, in reference to the service received in our restaurant, will take the appropriate means and will speak with the head of the Department so what you say does not happen again. We hope you have an opportunity and return to the Hotel Plaza and check for an improvement in the service received. thank you very much and we hope to see you again.
Yours faithfully,

There are newer reviews for Hotel Plaza Andorra

Reviewed 20 June 2017

I frequently travel on a frugal budget. I stay in places ranging from $10 a night hostels to $300 a night five star hotels, depending upon whether or not I can utilize rewards or share rooms or make something work that fits my frequent traveler mindset.

That being said, I've stayed at five star hotel prices that underwhelm. When I saw the price (I paid only $90 for a night), I assumed it must have been five stars in name only. I was wrong. Hotel Plaza Andorra is the real deal, and I was really happy I stayed here.

The location is fantastic. It's a five minute walk, if that, from the main walking road where everything is happening during the day. So, issues with location. The room was massive, with all of the expected amenities of a five star hotel (unlike some places that are five star hotels but give you a three star room when you pay three star prices). The bed was big and comfortable. The bathroom was decked out. The staff were incredibly nice and incredibly helpful. Oh, and the mini-bar is incredibly cheap. That was a cool little note. The gym was simple, but modern at least. The spa was small, but still looked absolutely fantastic.

If you're a frequent five star hotel traveler, I could understand why perhaps this hotel isn't the most amazing of five star hotels. I also didn't get a chance to try any of the food at the restaurant, so if that's important to you, check out another review.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Marta P, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Plaza Andorra, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2017

Dear guest,
Thank you so much for your review of Hotel Plaza. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate that you consider us with good value for money hotel and that the services we are offering was great for a 5 stars hotel.
We hope you will visit us again,
Best regards.

Reviewed 8 May 2017

My 5th-floor room was spacious, with three big windows, clean and comfortably furnished. The hotel is well located right in the centre of town. Staff friendly and helpful. The only thing I could criticize (being a stiff old lady) is the lack of a handle to help me over the side of the bath after my shower, but I heard it from the horse's mouth that the bathrooms will soon be refurbished. Plentiful and varied supply of toiletries, including a dental pack. Large selection of breads, pastries, cheeses, sausages, cereals, fresh fruit and so on at breakfast, cantankerous coffee machine! There was free wifi but the connection was wobbly.

Room Tip: Do not expect views as the hotel is surrounded by tall buildings.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Barbara E
Marta P, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Plaza Andorra, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2017

Dear Barbara,

Yours faithfully,

Reviewed 13 April 2017 via mobile

Hotel Plaza Andorra is a safe choice. At this hotel you will have a nice clean room with a good bed to sleep in. The breakfast has a lot to choose from and the bar on the first floor also have some nice small dishes.
Its a old fashioned hotel that gives me a good feeling. It's also a plus that the hotel is just a minute away from all the shopping streets.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
Marta P, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Plaza Andorra, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2017

Dear guest, Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. It's something our staffs takes great pride in, so we value your feedback. We hope you will visit us again.

Reviewed 7 March 2017 via mobile

As with so many 4 star Hotels it is the spa facilities that elevates the average other facilities from really 3 star. Room past its best though spacious poor quality wall coverings throughout.
Front desk star a young American who could teach the rest the basics of customer service. I don't expect to be reprimanded when the 3rd attempt at the bill is wrong because I didn't tell them my car was in their garage!
Restaurant top dog may have been to the Basil Faulty School of Hotel etiquette closely followed by a tutting evening waitress annoyed because we didn't order the wine as we were sitting down. Dinner excellent but have seen better breakfast buffets in a 2 star in Ibiza.
Cafe & bar excellent with a smiling young lady who knows how to make a good G& T

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Marta P, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Plaza Andorra, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2017

Thank you for your candid review. We apologize that your recent stay did not meet expectations. We appreciate your comments and will share these with our team so that we can continue to improve our services. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future, so that we can provide a better experience.