All reviews fat alberts ski lockers gondola station lounge area spa facilities skiing hotel small charge salad floor room apres ski live music early hours cable car evening meal hotel is great lots of choice cold meats
Reviewed 24 February 2010

Could not believe it when on arrival they had no room for us! Lots of excuses (hole in ceiling) and very poor customer service. We booked this hotel to be near lift station but was sent to a hotel a mile out of town. When we finally got a room at this hotel 3 days later we discovered that it had a hole in the bath. What more can be said a very disappointing experience................. restaurant very small for size of hotel and has a school canteen feeling, tables were very close together and not always available.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 February 2010

Location good, rooms good, and quiet on top floor. Buffet style menu worked well for our family but the food was poor - if I cooked that badly at home the kids wouldn't eat it. The restauranr staff were always welcoming and helpful, but the reception staff made you feel as though they really didn't want you there. They didn't smile once to us - only to each other. Any slight requests seemed to be far too much of an effort. We couldn't even get a spare toilet roll! If they improved thje food and staff I would say it is an excellent hotel to stay in, but as it stands I would definitely not go to that hotel again, and certainly wouldn't recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 February 2010

A group of 30 of us went to stay at the Himalaia, it wasn't our first stay so we sort of knew what to expect. It was a mixed group ranging from 18 - 60year olds including couples, singles and families.

The Location is fantastic only a quick walk (2mins) to the lifts, close to the bars and shops.

The rooms were clean and spacious (however request a room facing the front so you are not overlooking fat alberts night club, as it can get very loud at chucking out time).

The reception staff were terrible- they are rude, unhelpful and very unprofessional - I would say this is the worst aspect of the hotel. They have absolutely no concept of customer service.

The food in the hotel is not the best either. There is plenty of choice but nothing seems to have any taste or it is undercooked/overcooked.

The hotel offers a ski locker in the basement which they take a £20 deposit for (a lot cheaper than the lockers at the lift which cost £50)

The resort itself was brilliant for our group, it is fairly small yet it has plenty of bars and a few shops. It is just a quick bus ride to Pas de la casa, which cost us around £1.70 each way.

All in all the location made the hotel!

• Stayed: January 2010
Reviewed 15 February 2010

This hotel has great potential, good location, nice big rooms / bathrooms, very clean, nice communual areas for chilling out, overall a nice hotel.
However we found most of the staff to be very negative towards non spanish speaking people. On arrival the receptionist was rather unpleasent and unhelpful even though we had been travelling for hours it was almost an inconvience to her to book us in! The bar staff and restaurant staff would always serve the spanish speakers first and we felt rather unwelcome. I came down early one morning feeling unwell and was sent out on the streets to find a drink, unable to find a shop that was open the receptionist finally relented and got me a drink (I might add that there were staff in the kitchen at this time).
There were some issues with the food, we were aware of 4 people having tummy upsets whilst we were staying there, however the food was ok and no one in our party had any problems.
As others have said, the hotel is VERY warm but to be honest that suited me!! We also had an issue on one day with the hot water and again the reception staff were rather unhelpful and almost seemed amused that we couldnt have a shower
We would stay here again, but only if they had a staff change.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 January 2010

We have previously stayed at the Village Sport, also 4* but head and shoulders above the Himalaia in every way.

Upon arrival at the hotel at 2pm and queuing to check in for 15mins we weer told that our room wasn't ready. We were pointed towards the childrens play room to drop our cases. We eventually got into our room at 4pm.

Having booked a studio, like many other reviewers we found our room was a 1 bed with no kitchen facilities. When I complained I was shown the only remaining studio right above the nighclub so we stuck to the 1 bed on the top floor.

The room itself was quite roomy and had good views over the hills at the rear of the hotel. There was occasionally some noise from Fat Alberts directly behind but not too bad.
The room safe was broken all week and despite several spanglish conversations, it was never fixed and I refused to pay for the rental.

Breakfast in the hotel started off very well but towards the end of the week we found some of the food was running out and taking ages to get replaced. I really missed my scrambled eggs :-(

After 3 evening meals we were bored with the same old mass produced grub so started to eat out at our own expense. The Indian (run by a ski instructor) was good and so was Bruxelles and Fat Alberts Bistro.

The hotel reception area stunk of cigarette smoke as it's still legal to smoke indoors in Andorra. The issue was made worse because 2 of the 3 receptionists also lit up at their desk. Not very welcoming :-(

The spa is nothing like the pictures, dark and dingy. The hot tub was a cold tub and the sauna was a small box full of big russian chaps. We lasted 15mins and then went for a shower to get clean.

The hotel is in a great position, the staff are friendly enough but the rest of it is average compared to the Sport and Sport Village. Sorry I sound really negative but I think I was spoilt last year and will definately be going back to one of the other hotels.

The skiing and ski school were great and we bumped into people we met last year. Definately rate Soldeu itself for a ski holiday.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family