“Amazing view from breakfast room & roof terrace”
Review of Hotel Stein

Hotel Stein
Ranked #83 of 132 Hotels in Salzburg
Reviewed 3 October 2015

I was in Hotel Stein for 3 nights for a business visit to Salzburg. My (single) room was on the fourth floor, looking out on the river. The room was incredibly clean. It had a slightly strange layout, being very long and narrow (single bed against the wall, about a meter walking space next to it). As there was only one window, the room was pretty dark during the day.

For breakfast, I could choose between savory or sweet. I took the sweet option, which consisted out of coffee, fresh orange juice, a boiled egg, a bowl of bircher muesli, two buns and jam. I quite liked it, and it was more than enough. The savory choice did not have the muesli, but lots of cheese, meat and salmon. Breakfast was included for me (as my room was paid by someone else), but breakfast normally costs €12. There were other options as well. The breakfast room is located on the seventh floor of the hotel (there's also a roof terrace) with amazing views over Salzburg and the Alps.

The location of the hotel is very convenient, very central. As my room was on the front side of the hotel, there was some traffic noise (but only with open windows). Service was also very good. I had a problem with my wash basin, which was fixed immediately after I mentioned it at reception. I also like that the hotel offers the option to not clean your room everyday in exchange for a €5 discount for the night.

Room Tip: Front side of the hotel for wonderful views, the higher the better.
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank KarinSl

Reviewed 29 September 2015

We were a little disappointed with check-in. We stood at the wrong desk as nobody was around and even though there were people in the office at the back who could see us we were left for a good 15 minutes before being promptly told to move round the corner to the actual check-in desk. On exiting the lift on level 3 it was like walking into the black hole of Calcutta, so dark and extremely grim, my heart sank. The room itself however was big and spacious. The view however was straight onto another building who's windows could see right in so we kept the curtains closed. Saying all that it was comfortable and for 2 nights it was fine. The roof top bar on the 7th floor is what I feel keeps this hotel alive, it's absolutely stunning and definitely one of the best views of Salzburg, just perfect. The food at the roof top is a pretty limited menu but executed well and breakfast was excellent. We LOVED our stay in Salzburg and can't wait to return - might stay in a different hotel but will definitely be back for the roof top experience at the hotel Stein.

Room Tip: Ask for a view!!
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karen C
Reviewed 29 September 2015

My husband and I loved staying at Hotel Stein. The location was absolutely PERFECT!!! It was a little dated but added to the ambiance. Our room was spacious, clean, very comfortable and just an easy 20 minute walk from the train station. We had no problems with conversing in English which was a big plus. We loved the rooftop terrace/restaurant and ended up going there every night we were there because of the great food and fabulous views. The only negative was that we were on the 2nd floor and in the front of the building and it was very noisy with the windows open because of the traffic. Once the windows were shut there was no problem. I would still recommend a room in the front of the hotel because of the view of the river and Old City. We were very happy we chose this hotel, it was so close to everything we wanted to see and we definitely recommend it. To us it was the best choice of places to stay in that area.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the front but on an upper floor away from the street
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2015

The view from the top bar/restaurant just cannot be beaten. We sat there for our breakfasts, afternoon teas and evening nightcaps taking in the city sights below, the fortress above and the mountains beyond. The rest of the hotel is tired and a bit dingy and perhaps should be rated as a 3 star. It's in a great position for the city. Try to ensure your room is facing the river as at the back the evening noise and early morning bin collections may disrupt your sleep !

Room Tip: Avoid rooms at the back facing onto Steingasser
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank samcottingham
Reviewed 24 September 2015

I was under the impression that this was first class hotel. The location of the hotel was on a main street and very convenient to walk to sites in the old city. The lighting and the decor of this hotel are rather dark. The corridors and stairwells are dark and dim; having only faint motion detector lighting. Senior or handicapped travelers BE CAREFUL!! Access to the elevator is only by stairs which makes transporting luggage to and from rather inconvenient and difficult.

Lighting in the room was not much better There was no drinking water made available in rooms. We were there for three nights. The room cleaning staff came late in the day. So if you arrive back to the hotel after 2 or 3PM, your room may not yet have been serviced.

Our room was pretty small and overlooked the alley. We opened the window and soon found that there was a lot of noise at night.

The WIFI was not working. When I asked for help with the TV channel descriptions, I was told that I would need to wait (till next day) for the cable person to get my question answered.

I used the computer in the first floor lounge area. The lighting in this room was also very dim. Not all staff at the hotel main desk speaks or understands English. This was frustrating when I needed assistance.

So even with the great location, this hotel was disappointing.

Room Tip: Read reviews carefully. Seniors and handicapped be aware of dimly lit corridors.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family