“Lobster dinner”

Cuisines: Austrian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Dobling
Description: If there was a superlative for “good traditional cooking”, it would be “best traditional cooking”, and this term is the perfect description of the food at Eckel, in Vienna’s Sievering neighborhood.
Reviewed 2 July 2017 via mobile

Has a realy nice outside garden with tables which was a perfect setting for our dinner. It is a tradional vienese resturant with some twists,
We started of with grilled and cshrimps with artichokes which is a bit odd combination but the taste was great, my wife had the carpaccio is bi and rich with meat. Then the twist i had the lobster and my wife the lobster medallions, not cheap (37 euro for half lobster and 32 euro for lobster medalloins)but great to have fresh lobster in vienna.
Ended with excellent apricote dumpling, big portion with two of them, fresh made so need to wait 20 minutes for it but was worth the wait. Excellent wine list. Perfect service.

Reviewed 17 May 2017

I made a reservation there through the reception of my hotel. Since I was clearly an accidental customer, I was given the table next to the kitchen door. (You remember Peter Sellers in "The party"). I had to wait for the bus boy to clear the table, despite a lot of free tables. Austrian hospitality!
I kept an open mind, though, and the food was excellent, nothing less!

Reviewed 16 February 2017

I was really looking forward to eat and the Eckel, Because we used to walked-by on our summer walks with our dog. Therefore, I made a reservation for our special opportunity last August - the fifth love anniversary. At that time, I specifically asked to get a table on garden, somewhere away from smokers.
We got a table in the middle of the garden. The service was kind and professional. The food was tasty but nothing very special. However, we enjoyed the experience at the Eckel Until everybody around us (all other guests in the garden at other tables) begun to smoke. We literally was eating smoke together with the food we ordered.
Too bad for Such a nice family-run restaurant with such a wonderful summer garden that it must be characterized by a tobacco smoke all over the garden. They could simply separate one part of the garden for smokers and another for non-smokers, but it seems they do not care much about it. They did not even give us a table somewhere on the edge where the impact of smoking wouldnt affect our experience so much ...

Unfortunately, we will not come back, Because the Prices are high but the care for non-smoking guests is very low.

2  Thank Maja M
Reviewed 13 February 2017

If we want to spoil friends or family from Vienna or from out of town, the place where we take them is always the same: Restaurant Eckel. The food is heavenly, the wine aromatic, the staff friendly and extremely competent: one feels like one is back in a forgotten era, when restaurants still took pride in their dishes and their staff. The garden is breathtakingly beautiful in the summer. The Austrian foods on offer are of the highest quality and perfectly prepared, and portions are neither too big nor too small. Altogether a perfect place in an imperfect world.

1  Thank Jennifer D
Reviewed 7 July 2016 via mobile

This is charming family run institution of a restaurant, v good Austrian food with some continental additions, beautifully presented, very well served, it shines in summer with its delightful terrace and garden. If you want to get out of the tourist traps for a serene lunch or dinner (please no shirts or flip flops or back packs!) this is an elegant and delightful neighbourhood spot....

1  Thank Wilton L