“Well worth a go, but still only the second best in my European travels...”
Review of Hotel Exe Vienna

Hotel Exe Vienna
Ranked #240 of 358 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 19 November 2016

Me and my fellow traveller stayed here as a result of a British Airways (stand by for a review of them too!) holiday deal, and this hotel was chosen on the basis of the photos, location and price. All comments on the room relate to room 118. So let's start with checking in:

Check in was nice and smooth, a few details needed on a form and we soon had our key from the very friendly staff member.

Upon entering the room the first impressions were good, nice and modern, clean and quite a generous size. The bathroom was en-suite too, and we had an in-room safe which I thought was quite handy and indeed got used during the trip. As per almost everywhere in Europe, no tea/coffee or a kettle in the room. I just don't understand why, outside of the UK, this is standard.

Let's review the bathroom next. A very good size indeed, and a lot nicer looking than most hotel bathrooms I've seen, and it's fair to say I've seen a lot over the last 13 years. Quite, I still haven't done my reviews from October's 6 day trip around the UK. I will try to tackle that in the next few days. The shower was amazingly powerful and just what I needed to wake me up in the mornings.

A wardrobe with barely any space or indeed hangers was also available, with more shelves than anything else. A mini bar exists too, but we were going nowhere near that!

So the important part, the beds. We were in a twin room, so I can't comment on double bed or single bed rooms here. However I was certainly disappointed that the mattresses were rather firm, sadly I could find no label on the mattress to find out who manufactured this abomination! A single pillow per bed was provided, although the comfort factor varied very significantly I'm told. As we had these beds for 3 nights we were less than impressed, so to all of you that read this please bear in mind you may not get the best sleep.

Breakfast is a continental breakfast buffet, with limited hot food that varied each day, and of course the usual croissants and other pastries, as well as fruit, toast, meats and cheeses and a few other things which changed daily. You had to be down quite early to get a decent variety, so don't expect much if you go down after 9am. Coffee is Nescafe Algeria (Disclaimer - this was the case as of the time of typing, this might change in the future), and fruit juices and water were also available. Tea of different flavours was too. Bear in mind, like seemingly everywhere in Europe, the cups are small and the machine doesn't fill anywhere near to the top of the cup. Granted, the cups are bigger than what I had at a cafe at Brussels Central station in 2013, but I can assure you that my first coffee after coming back to the UK was a large (and I mean LARGE! We're talking something like 20 fluid ounces, which I believe is around 570ml) Puccinos americano with milk and sugar at Redhill station, South East England. If there's one thing the UK does right, it's big cups of coffee and Puccinos is the best in the country in my eyes, without question.

Anyway, back to the review. Let's get to transport links. There's only two choices really, tram or the U-Bahn. So let's discuss both! Trams first, line 44 is the tram line you'll need to get to/from the hotel, which runs from Schottentor in the city centre to somewhere beginning with D (Dusseldorf possibly) in the west of the city. The tram stop (Yppengasse) is almost right outside the hotel, and runs from early morning until very late evening, and roughly every 7 minutes during the day, every 15 minutes otherwise. I don't have details of the cost of single journeys, as we had a multi-day pass for all transport in Vienna. There's another review that I must get to actually, one for the Vienna Card. I won't go hugely into the ins and outs of trams in Vienna, not here anyway, but please be warned these things are hugely uncomfortable with rock solid red plastic seating and not enjoyable to ride on. Information screens are available on-board, but interchange information is only detailed by audio which is not terribly helpful if you don't understand German! Thankfully this wasn't an issue for us, but might be for others.

To get to/from the hotel by U-Bahn (Underground railway in English), you will need to use line U6, the brown line on their maps. Be warned that this stop is approximately 200 metres away, so just over a 5 minute walk going to the station, and just over 5 coming back as towards the hotel is uphill. From the station, take the exit next to the shop (I'm sorry but I didn't note the name of this exit, and there is two of them from memory) then turn left. Walk up this road until you see Hotel Donau (or something very close to that name) on the corner to your right at a big crossroads. Turn right here onto Ottakringer Strasse, and walk uphill for a few more minutes. The hotel is on the right hand side.

As I have yet to find it on TripAdvisor, I would also advise a visit to Cafe Bon, just across the road from the hotel and a little further up the road, about a 1 minute walk away. Very pleasant service and some excellent beer in the form of Villacher. We liked it here, and the beer, so much we visited on each of our three nights!

Overall I would stay here again, but I wouldn't be a fan of the beds so I wouldn't stay for more than one night.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank TechniquestS482

Reviewed 15 November 2016 via mobile

We are staying at the Exe as I write this review. We are currently on our second morning of being woken early by delivery drivers (all rooms back on to the delivery access and each room has a view akin to a scene from the walking dead) who insist on leaving engines running and banging every van and entrance door as loud as possible from 6am. The hotel also has some workers in who are using power tools and again banging every door possible. Has the hotel not heard of soft close doors? The hotel is not recently renovated as described, it is more in keeping with its building age of 100 years. We have stayed in two rooms already - due to the noise - both are extremely dated with wall paper hanging off, chipped woodwork and terribly cheap furniture. The pillows are non existent and air con sounds like a gale force wind throughout the night. Bathroom is reasonably clean and wifi is quick. Check in was ok but front desk staff are not particularly knowledgable on tourist advice. Do not stay here if you plan to do any sleeping.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2016

Good location: not in the "city heart" but just outside it. Near metro station, but which we never even got to use, since the City Bikes took us everywhere. (We highly recommend the City Bikes!) Breakfast was ordinary, but good, daily variations on the buffet. Staff was very friendly and helpful, as was the cleaning people. Good condicioning in the room. Bathtub was awesome. Only minus was the fact of not having been able to use the promised swimming pool during the whole vacation (main reason, why we booked this hotel), it was under a renovation.

We recommend Exe Vienna for all who are looking for a great, basic, inexpensive hotel!

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 9kial
Reviewed 29 October 2016

Very good -

The breakfast
The staff

Reasonable
The location - good tram links and metro

Moderate

the neighbourhood - very run down

Poor

The room - window locks did not work - the bathroom fittings were falling off the wall
The hotel carpets - scruffy is being polite

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2016

The highlight of our stay has been the breakfast. Great selection, high quality, nice breakfast room, the perfect start for a day of sightseeing in Vienna. The room was comfortable, clean, the mattress firm and good to sleep on. Friendly and professional staff. The swimming pool in the basement looked larger on the website of the hotel than in real life, but it was empty of people both times when I visited. The hotel is on the edge of downtown and outside districts, with a number of Turkish restaurants in the neighbourhood. There was also a nice pub further out on Ottakringer street. Free parking on the street during the weekend. All in all, very satisfied with our stay, would definitely return next time.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple