First Hotel Grims Grenka
Park Inn by Radisson Oslo(Oslo)(Great Value!)
  • Restaurant
Comfort Hotel Boersparken(Oslo)(Great Value!)
US$136
US$197
US$170
Travelocity
US$173
  • Breakfast included
Comfort Hotel Xpress Youngstorget(Oslo)(Great Value!)
US$104
US$238
US$206
ScandicHotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Saga Hotel Oslo(Oslo)(Great Value!)
US$160
Official Site
Radisson Blu Hotel Oslo Alna(Oslo)(Great Value!)
US$131
US$99
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewswaterfall showerrooftop barrecommend this hotelboutique hotelnice hotelbreakfast buffetnice staygreat breakfastlocation is excellentaker bryggestandard roomthe main streetpublic transportthe central train stationcity centreopera housecatwalk
Reviewed 23 November 2017

Hotel needs a facelift. It always looks closed as it is so dark, and this applies to the rooms as well, with very little light.
Room was cold (to be fair it was -10 in Oslo at the time), but you need two duvets to keep warm at night.
No amenities in the room too (coffee, water etc) and there is no bathroom privacy (you can see the toilet and shower from the bed).
The room looked like it needed a good scrub. Grim is an appropriate name.
Norway is prohibitively expensive and a room for £180 per night would get you something amazing anywhere else in the World.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Michael E
Reviewed 7 November 2017

A very well placed hotel. Central enough for Oslo centre for the theatre, opera house, royal palace and central station (about 15mins with luggage),as well as the historic areas including the Viking museum, large garrison fort with several attractions and the water front area.
The hotel's reception/lobby was rather gloomy; with dark décor and furniture and subdued lighting. Not for reading (maps etc)!! Check in/out was efficient. Our room turned out to be rather small (on the 6th floor) but with a large bed so that wardrobe and cupboard doors could not open properly and 2 people could not pass. Only one side of the bed had a side table and reading light. The TV was offset to the right of the bed, but no angled toward the bed. the lighting system was all electronic & pretty unfathomable and there were no instructions nor remote control. We did not attempt the sound system. The shower room only had a make up mirror on an extending arm that was on the opposite end of the vanity unit to the basin. The main shower cascaded water rather than sprayed, though there was a hand held smaller shower head. So avoid room 608. It should be for a single bed or a house services storage cupboard. It looked as though the room had been shoe horned behind a hall fire escape. Our friends next door had a far more spacious room - for the same rate; only discovered after the first night of our 2 night stay. A negotiation with reception was satisfactorily & cordially concluded.
The restaurant was excellent. It had a re-opening night (after refurbishment apparently). Attentive staff and good food. Breakfast was also well laid out and was very varied and adequate.

Stayed: October 2017
Reviewed 21 October 2017

Good Service, Everything is smooth.

My credit card was hack while I’m staying in this hotel. It was never happens before in my life. I was in the hotel 12-14 Oct 2017 checked-in on midnight of 12 Oct or 0.015 of 13 Oct , My credit was hack 2 transactions on 13 Oct 2017 to buy Expedia & United Airline in NOK currency. During this trip I went to 9 countries & I stayed in Oslo, Norway only this 2 days. I used other card as main credit card and that card is safe in other 8 countries. The card that was hack I have show to this hotel only, they supposed to have only transaction via this credit card is a hotel transaction. The hotel record data of credit card on their machine. That’s why I tried to contact hotel asked for management to re-check their system or maybe cooperative with me to find people who do this when I have data. The hotel refuse to help. I cannot reach the management.

Bank helps me because I’m their special customer. I don’t need to pay for the transactions but still suspect the hotel should show some response to help finding the fraudty or re-check their system to prevent this situation occurred to other customers but they response notthing and my e-mail didn’t reach management.

The card that was hack I was using travel around the world there is never been any case occurred and it was hack in NOK currency while I was in Norway! Excepts showing card to hotel the card was kept safe with me all the time. I’ve never use Expedia & I won’t fly United for this moment I’m busy flying somewhere else.

Room Tip: better using cash
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
ReceptionFHGG, Daglig leder at First Hotel Grims Grenka, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2017

Dear Prangtip,

I have been informed about this case from our Front Office Manager after I saw your review on Tripadvisor. We have contacted our provider of property management system and informed them about this case. They are looking into it and will get back to us if they find any issues. In our system we only have the last 4 digits of the card visible for security reasons. This is the first case I have heard of since I started here in January and we do take this matter seriously. Like our Front Office Manager informed, when in doubt if a card is hacked the bank needs to be approached and the bank will contact the source of the problem. So far nothing has been proved from either side and I am very grateful that your bank contacted you and that the card was not debited.

I do hope that your bank will be able to find the reason / source of your credit card issues.

I hope that you are satisfied with my answer and information provided by us.

Best Regards, Frederik L
General Manager, First Hotel Grims Grenka

Reviewed 14 October 2017

We stayed here for 4 nights during Sep 2017. boutique hotel,centrally located,we had a superior room.Reception desk was friendly.There was supposed to be a rooftop bar but it was closed maybe it was too late in the season. there was also supposed to be a restaurant which was closed. Breakfast was very nice with a lot of products.The problem was with the room- to use efficiently the lights of the room and the bathroom you need to have a degree in rocket science which we do not have. There was no light at all on one side of the bed and the bed was artificially high and you could hardly reach the floor with your legs Funny. Frankly speaking we have never seen before such a room and this was supposed to be a superior room.By the way the bar in the room was completely empty so you could put there your own drinks if you wanted. Without any fault of the hotel there were " Working girls" right opposite the hotel every evening which was not particularly pleasant at least for us. By the way the hotel is very expensive.

P.s: if i remember well i am not the first guest to mention the electricity problem in the room:

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2017

I have too say I haven't been this disappointed over a hotel experience for a very long time. This hotel wasn't cheap in comparison to others I have stayed in within Oslo. The website looks great, the photos look amazing. They over state this hotel! When I arrived the hotel bar on the roof was closed, I suppose you can let that go as it was October. Then I was told the restaurant was close due to refurbishment, and yet they were open for breakfast???? The rooms were really tired and need looking at, internal room so no view and a tiny bathroom. The only thing that has stopped me from giving terrible instead of poor is the staff member who checked me in knew they were talking the absolute piss as he was apologising almost straight away. I would give this place a miss until some major updates are done!

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business