All reviews waterfall shower q lounge rooftop bar recommend this hotel boutique hotel spacious room breakfast buffet nice breakfast location is excellent the main street public transport central location train station opera house catwalk harbour fortress
Reviewed 10 December 2017

I honestly don't get the complaints on TripAdvisor about this hotel. This is basically like every other "hipster" boutique hotel with its mood lighting. I agree it could do with a bit more light but it's not a deal breaker. Rooms are a bit small but not unmanageable - it fit two girls and three large suitcases perfectly fine. A bit cramped but like I said, not unmanageable. Toilets are a decent size, by European standards. Bed are wonderful - great night sleep!

Location is good. Centrally located in the city centre but not so central that you're right in the horrid hustle and bustle of touristy Karl Johans gate. It's an easy 10min walk to all the main parts of the city. Super accessible.

Check-in and out was a breeze - typical Scandi efficiency. No complaints

Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Marianne B, Daglig leder at First Hotel Grims Grenka, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2018

Greetings from Grims Grenka!

So sorry our late reply.

Thank you so much for your feedback- we`re so glad we met your expectations and that you felt wonderful at Grims Grenka in Oslo.
I will share these happy moments with my team and we hope can see you two again :-)

Best regards,

Marianne Bergseng

Reviewed 24 November 2017

There is a place for "quirky designer ideas", but it is not in this hotel.

The rooms do not have a number on the door. Instead, eventually, you may spot a number written sideways on the carpet.

When you find your room, it is stupidly difficult to turn on lights. Instead of a switch, there is a ridiculous rocker device that - individually - controls various parts of the room. You can't see this anyway when you enter the room, and you have to find somewhere to put your key card before it will even work, so if you arrive at night you are in trouble.

When you can get the lights on, there is only a dim gloom created. Better than nothing, but frankly useless. In the bathroom, the lighting is so poor that there is hardly any chance to see yourself in the mirror while shaving.

The shower is so small that as a reasonably small person I had trouble turning round without disembowelling myself on the pointlessly large shower control. If you are in any way overweight you probably won't be able to get in and close the door.

If you wake up at night, you won't be able to find any light switches without a miracle.

The bedroom floor had 3 changes of level - small steps with no visible indicator, guaranteed to help you stub your toes many times.

Some public stairs were see through, with no guidance as to where a tread started or stopped.

Only plus point was a good breakfast selection.

Just don't stay here. You will regret it.

Date of stay: November 2017
1  Thank Me-from-the-UK
Reviewed 23 November 2017

Hotel needs a facelift. It always looks closed as it is so dark, and this applies to the rooms as well, with very little light.
Room was cold (to be fair it was -10 in Oslo at the time), but you need two duvets to keep warm at night.
No amenities in the room too (coffee, water etc) and there is no bathroom privacy (you can see the toilet and shower from the bed).
The room looked like it needed a good scrub. Grim is an appropriate name.
Norway is prohibitively expensive and a room for £180 per night would get you something amazing anywhere else in the World.

Date of stay: November 2017
1  Thank Michael E
Reviewed 7 November 2017

A very well placed hotel. Central enough for Oslo centre for the theatre, opera house, royal palace and central station (about 15mins with luggage),as well as the historic areas including the Viking museum, large garrison fort with several attractions and the water front area.
The hotel's reception/lobby was rather gloomy; with dark décor and furniture and subdued lighting. Not for reading (maps etc)!! Check in/out was efficient. Our room turned out to be rather small (on the 6th floor) but with a large bed so that wardrobe and cupboard doors could not open properly and 2 people could not pass. Only one side of the bed had a side table and reading light. The TV was offset to the right of the bed, but no angled toward the bed. the lighting system was all electronic & pretty unfathomable and there were no instructions nor remote control. We did not attempt the sound system. The shower room only had a make up mirror on an extending arm that was on the opposite end of the vanity unit to the basin. The main shower cascaded water rather than sprayed, though there was a hand held smaller shower head. So avoid room 608. It should be for a single bed or a house services storage cupboard. It looked as though the room had been shoe horned behind a hall fire escape. Our friends next door had a far more spacious room - for the same rate; only discovered after the first night of our 2 night stay. A negotiation with reception was satisfactorily & cordially concluded.
The restaurant was excellent. It had a re-opening night (after refurbishment apparently). Attentive staff and good food. Breakfast was also well laid out and was very varied and adequate.

Date of stay: October 2017
Reviewed 21 October 2017

Good Service, Everything is smooth.

My credit card was hack while I’m staying in this hotel. It was never happens before in my life. I was in the hotel 12-14 Oct 2017 checked-in on midnight of 12 Oct or 0.015 of 13 Oct , My credit was hack 2 transactions on 13 Oct 2017 to buy Expedia & United Airline in NOK currency. During this trip I went to 9 countries & I stayed in Oslo, Norway only this 2 days. I used other card as main credit card and that card is safe in other 8 countries. The card that was hack I have show to this hotel only, they supposed to have only transaction via this credit card is a hotel transaction. The hotel record data of credit card on their machine. That’s why I tried to contact hotel asked for management to re-check their system or maybe cooperative with me to find people who do this when I have data. The hotel refuse to help. I cannot reach the management.

Bank helps me because I’m their special customer. I don’t need to pay for the transactions but still suspect the hotel should show some response to help finding the fraudty or re-check their system to prevent this situation occurred to other customers but they response notthing and my e-mail didn’t reach management.

The card that was hack I was using travel around the world there is never been any case occurred and it was hack in NOK currency while I was in Norway! Excepts showing card to hotel the card was kept safe with me all the time. I’ve never use Expedia & I won’t fly United for this moment I’m busy flying somewhere else.

Room tip: better using cash
Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
ReceptionFHGG, Daglig leder at First Hotel Grims Grenka, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2017

Dear Prangtip,

I have been informed about this case from our Front Office Manager after I saw your review on Tripadvisor. We have contacted our provider of property management system and informed them about this case. They are looking into it and will get back to us if they find any issues. In our system we only have the last 4 digits of the card visible for security reasons. This is the first case I have heard of since I started here in January and we do take this matter seriously. Like our Front Office Manager informed, when in doubt if a card is hacked the bank needs to be approached and the bank will contact the source of the problem. So far nothing has been proved from either side and I am very grateful that your bank contacted you and that the card was not debited.

I do hope that your bank will be able to find the reason / source of your credit card issues.

I hope that you are satisfied with my answer and information provided by us.

Best Regards, Frederik L