All reviews big room leaving early standard hotel nice hotel nice service room number wide variety the hotel staff the bus easy access tea coffee eggs and bacon family room comfy bed pulpit rock yogurt min walk
Reviewed 15 August 2018

Friendly staff in that partly renovated hotel, which looks generally dark and uncomfortable. The color brown and black dominates the foyer, even dark colors in the breakfast room. Dark purple in the family room. Good breakfast but don´t let the guests alone with the waffle iron. It ends in a mess.
Dear management: You have a great and friendly crew but a new painting in bright colors (white or scandinavian style), somebody who cleans the windows in the restaurant plus the dust in every corner would be perfect. Even the beds in our room were not made after the first night of two.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2018

We arrived and checked in after a long overnight travel from Florida and 15 minute drive from the airport. We pulled up to a parking lot full of campers and the building looked like a dive from the outside..I assume campers can pay to park in the lot and stay overnight. We were exhausted and checked in. Our room was in the basement and looked like we were heading to the laundry room. Our rooms was small, but spiffy clean. We slept like a rock. Good sleep quality and very quiet. A 5 minute drive to Stavanger downtown for dinner. We reported for an early breakfast..it was amazing with a wide variety to choose from. The coffee was excellent. The rest of the building from the inside was well done actually. So don't judge a book by its cover

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Jørn Kristian H, Front office/ guest relations. at First Hotel Alstor, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2018

Dear guest.
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for such a detailed review. It is nice to read that you enjoyed your stay. We would love to hear from you if there is anything we could have done better during your stay :)

Best regards, Jørn Kristian, Front office/ guest relations.

Reviewed 7 July 2018

Unfortunately, the photos make this place look much nicer than it actually is. Our double room was down in the basement (ground floor). It came with dirty, stained carpet and looked directly out onto the parking lot. Had we been in any other country besides Norway, I would not have felt very safe with such easy access to our room from the outside. There were tons of beer cans strewn about on guest patios and in the parking lot. It was pretty gross.

We chose to stay here because of the free parking and proximity to downtown. It served it's purpose (a clean bed for the night and breakfast in the morning), but in retrospect, I would have spent a little more to feel more comfortable.

I hate to say it, but this was the worst place we stayed during our week in Norway.

Room Tip: Do not book the cheapest room!
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Jørn Kristian H, Front office/ guest relations at First Hotel Alstor, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2018

Dear guest.
Thank you for such a detailed feedback, we really appreciate it. Our Moderate rooms is indeed in the basement with direct access to the parking lot. We have however never had any security issues in any of these rooms and all windows and doors will lock from the inside. There is also no public entrances on this floor and all visitors will have to enter the hotel via the reception which is staffed 24/7.

A dirty, stained carpet and beer cans strewn about is never acceptable and we will do our best to avoid this from happening again.

It is nice to see that you were happy with the parking, bed and breakfast, but we must apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay.

Best regards, Jørn Kristian, Front office/ guest relations.

Reviewed 14 April 2018 via mobile

Stayed here years ago and if I had remember I would have not stayed here again,
Tried to. Put me in the smallest room ever with 2 single beds pushed togeyer,

Went and spoke to reception and they agreed to move me only because I pointed out I booked a double room

No restaurant you can only get pizza delivered, this was rotten and went in bin,

Think this needs a revamp, nothing around in the immediate area you are alone

Won't be back

Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 March 2018

Many people end a review with "Will stay here again". Well, as it turns out, I am staying here again - this is my second stay.

Many people including myself generally avoid low budget hotels like the plague unless they cannot afford to otherwise. On my previous visit, I knew that I would have a vehicle with me, and I needed a hotel that provided such parking. The fact that parking is free is a bonus, it's not easy to find a hotel that provides free, ample parking like this one does. In addition to my need for parking, I also wanted to be in easy driving distance to Rennesøy. This hotel is just off the E39 towards Bergen, making it most convenient. The E39 towards Stavanger and Kristiansand is also within a very short distance, for those people who need to get to Forus, Sandnes or other closeby places.

Sadly, this hotel does not serve any dinner or lunch, but the buffet breakfast is more than ample. There is also hot food as well as the traditional bread and spreads, as well as tea/coffee and juices. The hotel staff however are very accommodating and they were more than happy to heat up my hot dogs for me. Food emporiums such as Pizzabakeren and Dominos do deliver - and presumably Eat.no will also deliver. If you have a car, it's a quick 10 minute trip into central Stavanger where you can have a choice of many different restaurants.

Single rooms can be a bit on the tiny side. My first stay was in such a room, but apart from the size I didn't have any other complaints. My current room is a larger one and I'm very happy with that. There is no minibar/fridge or coffee/tea making facilities in the room. At the reception however there is a chance to purchase some soda and candy. The nicest feature I have found about the room is that there are black out curtains which are extremely effective, and therefore provide me a very good nights sleep. I cannot hear cars outside, and it's so quiet you might think that the world has stopped.

There is also an indoor swimming pool here which I intend to avail myself of at some point. I did not bring my trunks last time, but I have this time round. There is parking right outside reception, and a huge overflow car park next to the building.

If you don't need much in the way of facilities, and you just need a bed, desk, shower, toilet, ample hanging space then you need not pay over 1000 NOK a night when you can get it for less. Bringing a car? Then you're going to fit in just perfectly.

You know when you walk in to check in and the manageress comes down the stairs and says "Nice to have you back". It surely is nice to be back :)

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Jørn Kristian H, Front office/ Guest relations. at First Hotel Alstor, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2018

Dear mr. Clayton. Thank you for your feedback. I really enjoyed reading your review and will make sure to forward it to my coworkers here at First Hotel Alstor.

We are very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again in the future! Best regards Jørn Kristian, Front office/guest relations.