“cornfield garage.”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Reviewed 2 April 2018

regular visitors to the pub have found it very good value for money, but of our last few visits it appears to have turned into a very noisy crèche .on our last visit there were 9 buggies and 15 children causing mayhem. How you can control this we have no idea as the manager appears to be uninterested as the disruption was mentioned to him sadly fell on deaf ears.

1  Thank rogerpope54

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

My husband and I went to Wetherspoons for the Chicken Club Wednesday, what a complete and utterly waste of time and money, waited 10 minuets to get served after the Manager came behind the bar and and prompted the bar staff to hurry up with service, finally got served by a foreign bar man who got both of the drinks wrong, not a good start, when we got our food, grilled chicken with chips and quinoa chicken salad, grilled halloumi and sweet corn cobs, the grilled chicken, chips, sweet corn and halloumi was cold, and asked for some butter for the corn that we didn’t get, I went up to the bar and asked to see the Manager, when he came to see me he was very blaisey and was not at all professional, we got a refund but would advise anyone NOT TO EAT OR DRINK HERE, it was a diabolical shambles from all of the bar staff and food runners....DO NOT GO THERE

1  Thank Monika S
AliGur, Manager at Cornfield Garage, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2018

Dear Monika S,
I did deal with your complaint yesterday. You told me that your food was cold . I apologised , offered you replacement or refund and you chose the refund. You mentioned about your food being cold , the staff who served you was a foreign barman! who got both of the drinks wrong!!! but you forgot to mention the fact that you got your table number wrong! and gave our staff wrong table number 87! whilst you sat table number 50!! When the food was taken out to table 87 the customers refused the food as it was not theirs and the food was taken back to the kitchen. Our staff had to look for you and then delivered your food to your table. If the food got cold during that time , I am sorry.
Although the food was cold, as you claim You did ask for butter! not to change of food, but butter!
Thank you very much for taking time and writing.

Reviewed 20 March 2018 via mobile

Visited here on a Tuesday night and the place was heaving. Only had drinks as I had eaten elsewhere but a nice pint and good prices. Staff were a bit miserable and didn’t see a single smile from behind the bar all night. Nice place though for a few drinks.

Thank you very much for your feedback.
Regards

Reviewed 7 March 2018

I visited this restaurant with a group of at leat 5, maybe 8, colleagues. Our work in the entertainment industry involves travel across the UK and Ireland and many of us regularly (several times a week) visit JD Weatherspoons to eat before, during breaks, and after work. Often all three!

After a very long day, and all very hungry, we arrived at this restaurant at about 8 or 10 mins to 11pm. All menu’s had been removed from the bar. When we asked for menus we were informed that the kitchen equipment had been turned off, only limited choices may be available and that it would not be possible to serve the whole group. When I pointed out that food service was advertised until 11pm the staff moved to the end of the bar and held a brief conversation, occasionally looking over their shoulder towards us. Eventually, and it would seem with great reluctance, they brought menus but advised that the kitchen was unlikely to accept our orders the equipment had already been switched off. By now it was 5 mins to 11pm.

When I reminded the staff that we were a group of regular customers visiting to spend our money on food and drink within the advertised food service period two of the female staff accused me of being rude and informed me that I was now being refused service.

I’m 61 years old, not rude and have never previously been refused service anywhere. However, what was obvious on this occasion is the contrast between the polite, friendly and helpful service experienced in JD Weatherspoon restaurants across the country and here in Eastbourne where unfortunately the staff were clearly disinterested, unhelpful and quite “bossy” and direct in their approach! Surprised and quite disgusted at the attitude of these staff members I left the restaurant and took my business elsewhere.

1  Thank Phil R
AliGur, Manager at Cornfield Garage, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2018

Dear Phil R, Thank you very much writing your part of the incident. I have spoken to my team and watched the CCTV footage. From what I can see on CCTV ; You approached the bar 22:54:06 and you were given a menu 22:57:00 and informed that the kitchen would be closed in 3 minutes. You dictated my staff that you would not be ready to order in 3 minutes and we had to keep the kitchen open till when you would be ready to order. Apparently; some of your words were; I am the customer love! Rudeness has no age barrier. Therefore, you were informed that you would not be served and on which you slammed the menu on the bar and left. You were the only one left! None of your friends left! They all stayed and enjoyed their drinks. You did also inform our Head Office and they passed your comments to me and with this message I have replied your both comments.
Thanks and regards

Reviewed 5 March 2018

This is a very busy and popular pub. The food was surprisingly of very good quality and offers very good value. A good bolt hole - not fine dining, but at least you know what to expect. Would happily return.

Thank you very much for your kind review.
Regards