Lowest prices for your stay
US$59
Free cancellation until 05/12/21
PricelineUS$56
eDreamsUS$56
getaroom.comUS$67
All reviews swimming pool london road large car park bar area sofa bed would stay again saturday night stayed here for one night town centre gym tesco executive outskirts suffolk
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 September 2021

I stayed here as part of a group of cyclists (70 people) undertaking a charity cycle around East Anglia in mid August 2021. After cycling over 100 miles a day, the evening meal was essential to the next day's cycling. Our organisers had been informed and re-assured several times that the Holiday Inn could provide an adequate buffet for our group size. However we unfortunately found out in the evening that there was a 'new chef' who was only able to cater for half of us. As the venue was located in the sticks, there were no nearby restaurants and half of us had to order take away pizza which was far from adequate for carb loading.

Clearly a very badly managed hotel with poor communication. Avoid.

Room tip: Avoid the hotel
Reviewed 24 August 2021 via mobile

We normally stay at Premier Inns for weekend visits to Suffolk but this time we had to take our dogs and Premier Inns are not dog-friendly. The only dog-friendly available hotel we could book was the Holiday Inn just outside the centre of Ipswich, a stone’s throw from the A14.

Holiday Inns are more expensive than Premier Inns but do offer free access to their spa and swimming pool facilities, none of which we needed. Dogs cost an extra £10 per dog per night on top of your room. You don’t get anything extra for the dog’s stay like other places do, such as a mat for bowls, towels, treats, etc so the extra money probably reflects the extra cleaning. In fact, there are no personal acknowledgements made to recognise you have a dog staying with you, whereas other places I’ve stayed make the effort with a few thoughtful touches because you have pets travelling with you. It literally is, just a boarding fee scenario and that’s the end of it.

The hotel itself is clean and well kept within a large space. You can walk around the perimeter of the site on grass areas and there are some lovely mature trees in situ. This is great for walking a dog first thing in the morning and last thing at night.

As for our room, I booked a double but we got a twin, but no big deal. Unlike Premier Inns, every room has an iron and ironing board plus free biscuits with the tea & coffee. The room itself seemed smaller than the Premier Inn rooms we are used to and the bathroom was really pushing it for space. The door opened leaving about 6 inches of clearance from the toilet and it was pretty cramped in there. An overweight person would struggle to turn around in such a confined space as it was bad enough for people with normal BMIs. Mind you, seeing as it was a Holiday Inn where all things gym and spa take centre-stage, perhaps they don’t have overweight people staying there?

Food, we didn’t have thanks to the high price-tag on the breakfast - nearly twice as much as the Premier Inn’s all-you-can-eat continental breakfast!

There are no lifts at this location either, so if you are travelling with a disability you would better to make sure you get a ground-floor room. One of my dogs is geriatric and had to be lifted down the staircases.

So whilst I’ve no real complaints, I just feel it wasn’t as suitable for us as a Premier Inn and a little underwhelming, considering the price-point. If Premier Inn ever decide to take dogs, they’ll definitely take some Holiday Inn business because not everyone needs the extra free facilities. If I was a gym monkey I’d no doubt be in fitness heaven in a Holiday Inn, but I simply needed a Premier Inn level dog-friendly hotel and nothing more.

Room tip: Parking space is great, loads of fitness stuff goes on there.
Trip type: Travelled with family
IHG Service, Owner at Holiday Inn Ipswich, an IHG hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear thedrumdoctoruk,

thank you for sharing your impressions of your recent stay with us.

I am very happy that the location of our hotel and the cleanliness, as well as the maintenance, of our room met your expectations. We strive to provide the best possible service as well as experience, and it is always great to hear from our valued guests on how we are doing. I also take note regarding your comments about the size of our room and that your dog did not receive extras like for example mat bowls. Please be assured that I will forward your comments to our team in order to provide a better experience in the future. I apologize if this might have caused you inconvenience.

Once again, thank you for choosing to stay with us. We would be delighted if you visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 23 August 2021 via mobile

Just returned from a trip never to be repeated at Holiday Inn London road Ipswich
You get the message as you arrive at the inaccessible area all plants at front of hotel dead in the planters no care for the outside and no care on the inside .
A wedding party is in the communal bar/seating area so no chance to blend in
Up to room double room single beds who sleeps in a single as an adult ?
Why ?
Advertising pillow menu so did not bring my own no pillow menu
House keeper will deliver chosen pillow
We go out to dinner bet on if pillow will have arrived I win it’s a no show we complain as we are being mis sold a service which does not exist no explanation why it’s on website but not available
A huge spider and web in room so not clean
Bathroom door does not shut why ?
So pillow like a brick or sandbag very uncomfortable
Wedding party noisy no sleep
Ordered room service breakfast did not arrive as requested 2 phone call needed
Inedible cold food served all left
I believe a stay in a prison would be better this is not cheap meant to be 4 star ⭐️
Anything but it’s a disgrace never to return
The cold beans
The grey dry scramble eggs
The uncooked frozen rolls

Date of stay: August 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
IHG Service, Owner at Holiday Inn Ipswich, an IHG hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Dear 331siobhanl,

I appreciate you for sharing your review about your recent stay.

I am very sorry that you did not experience an exemplary hotel stay because of the level of service you have received. On behalf of our hotel, I apologize for the service of our staff and the cleanliness, as well as the sleeping quality, in our room. I have sent you a private message to reaffirm my apologies.

I very much hope that you will grant us the opportunity to prove ourselves again.

Reviewed 12 August 2021

Sadly the worst Holiday Inn I have ever stayed in. Wondering why it is worth being an elite IHG member? The room hadn't been serviced for 2 occupants, there was inadequate tea and milk, and the towels were thin and rough. On the plus side the reception team were helpful and the bed was clean and comfortable.

Date of stay: August 2021
IHG Service, Owner at Holiday Inn Ipswich, an IHG hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2021

Dear Churchlee,

I appreciate you for sharing your review about your recent stay, and thank you for being one of our IHG Rewards members.

I am very sorry that you did not experience an exemplary hotel stay due to that our room was not serviced, the towels and that there was not enough tea in the room. This is certainly below our usual high standard of service. Please be assured that I have noted and forwarded your comments for the management to improve. In the midst of the inconvenience, I am glad to know that the service of our staff and the cleanliness, as well as the comfort of our bed, were still appreciated.

Reviewed 10 August 2021

Stayed here for 2 nights on the 5th/6th , when arrived to check in no one on reception had to go to the bar to find a team member then two people came to check me in , went to room ok beds comfy bathroom tiny , there was one pack of two biscuits between 2 of us and could not believe no complimentary water in room , next morning went for breakfast at 9:00 no staff to check us in , went to reception and the lady said should be two staff she then left reception and came and cleared a table as there was so many tables to be cleared, food was not the best . Went back to room putsign on door to say come back later to clean room as was getting ready for wedding , left room and reception was helpful called us a taxi so off we went . Came back at midnight my door key wouldn’t work so off I went back to reception, went back to room and the room had not been serviced no bed made or room cleaned so was not impressed. The hotel I’m my opinion is understaffed and the drinks in bar are over priced , I will not be returning.

Date of stay: August 2021
IHG Service, Owner at Holiday Inn Ipswich, an IHG hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2021

Hi H62,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us. I was very concerned to read your comments regarding your check-in experience, breakfast, housekeeping service, and value. I understand your disappointment and I'm sorry. I will share your review with our team for improvements on our end. We appreciate you for staying with us and in line with this, I sent you a private message to address your concerns.

I appreciate you as our guest and I still hope you would give us another chance in the future so this time we can show you the joy of travel for all experience.

Orlando A.