Lowdens House
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
All reviewsguest houseclose to town centrekettle with tea coffeebed breakfastcricket matchvivary parkone nightfree wifilast minute bookingcentral tauntoncomfortable bedsfriendly hostsstayed nightscar parkingtwin roomshort staytesco
Reviewed 23 July 2017

Last minute booking for unscheduled overnight stay. Room 4 (double). Freshly painted that morning so spick and span. Older property pleasantly refurbed. Impression of being homely and clean throughout - though I only saw my room and the hallways to it. Easy to connect to free wifi. No real grumbles - suggestions follow;
Complimentaries and generously sized bath towels - hand towel would have been appreciated.
Clock needed new battery.
Small sized shower cubical - grab rail to help with getting in and out and shelving would help as bending over to pick up shampoo etc from shower floor when large wasn't easy.
Slight stain on arm chair seat. Great bedside tables - deep, bed-height and with a pull out shelf. However needs reading quality bedside lights.
Comfortable bed with lovely white linen.
Ample coffee, tea, milk. Mugs and large kettle.
Building is on a very busy crossroads which is difficult to stop at - almost got shunted by drivers behind on the three circuits of the block to work out where the parking behind the property was (just after Lidel and opposite entrance to Tesco).
Bit pricey at £60 a night - but it was peak season.

Room Tip: On a busy crossroads so rooms facing road have obvious traffic noise. Take ear plugs if you are not used to it.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Alexandra G
Reviewed 27 June 2017 via mobile

After needing to book a room last minute and every room being extortionate due to Glastonbury I stumbled across this lovely guest house.

Before I arrived I was very apprehensive, travelling alone to an area I have never been too as well as staying in a guest house for the first time however, there had been no need.

From my first phone call to discuss my later than usual check in the staff were so very friendly. I didn't meet the owners face to face which was a shame as I would have loved to thank them!

I stayed in Room 9, a family room with 4 beds. It was very clean and spacious. The on-suite was lovely too. Lots of hanging space etc. Tea facilities and a TV. The wifi was a life saver as I had barely any signal in Taunton at all.

A very comfy sleep although a little noisy due to some guests but that's to be expected in a guest house on a Friday night.

Great location, Tesco is straight across the road. They opened for breakfast 7:30 which was tasty too!

Overall a great stay and I have recommend it to all my friends and family for when they visit Norton Manor Camp! I hope to stay again.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 April 2017 via mobile

Didn't quite know what to expect as it I have never stayed at a B&B before. The stay was pleasant, Jane is very friendly and helpful. Room included a kettle with tea/coffee and a small chocolate bar which was a nice treat. Towels and soap etc are also supplied which I hadn't expected. It's conveniently located, walking distance from town centre and right opposite a Tesco.
Bed was made up daily and room tidied which was nice.
The room was a bit smaller than I'd have liked however that's just me being pedantic.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 February 2017

We stayed just one night at Lowdens House to attend a concert in Vivary Park. We located the convenient car park easily and were soon checked-in by the friendly hosts. We had a great chat on arrival and the warmth of their welcome (as others have noted) is a highlight here, they seem to genuinely enjoy running this place.

Our room was very clean and tidy, with good wi-fi, and it was quiet for a great night's sleep before we moved on. We opted for room only so can't comment on the breakfast.

The location is good too, easy to find off the main road, a short walk into the city centre (which is delightful too, our first time here and loved the feel of the place) and Tesco right opposite for any supplies you might need.

Overall, exactly what you need for a short stay, clean, friendly and good value.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 October 2016 via mobile

This is a cracking place. Rooms wonderfully clean and fresh.
The breakfast is great, really great.
The owners are very friendly and welcoming indeed.
Fantastic.
The Corner House pub/restaurant is very close by, but the walk to the town centre is pleasant enough. There is always the huge Tesco around the corner for wine and such if you plan to stay in.
Can't recommend Lowdens House enough.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business