All reviews guest house close to town centre cricket match last minute booking comfortable bed central taunton stayed nights car parking twin room free wifi the ground floor tesco ensuite tv breakfast kettle
Reviewed 27 July 2017

I have stayed at Lowdens before, a few times, and particularly enjoyed the friendly welcome and personal attention, and the delicious breakfast. Booked this time, thinking it would be the same. First mistake was not checking that breakfast was included - it wasn't so I had to go and find somewhere local; Tesco cafe was easiest.
No one to greet me on arrival, just a message to 'ring this number', someone gives you the code to get in, key of room was in the door. Met two elderly ladies who had also been told that the proprietor was just popping out for an hour. It was a very long hour, I didn't see him in two days. In fact the only staff I saw was the cleaner, who hadn't even realised that I had already checked in, although she was very pleasant and tried to be helpful..
Room appeared clean, however, the rim of the toilet had not been cleaned, on lifting the seat, yuck!
Shower door was broken, glass and beading had come apart, so I wasn't sure if it would leak.
No light bulb in bedside lamp, inconvenient to say the least, I like to read in bed.
Next morning, no hot water for my shave, couldn't turn the knob on the ascot hot water cylinder. Had to shave in cold water, uncomfortable.
Tried to ring again, but unobtainable, appears to only answer the phone when someone is booking in, and not around to check that all is well. Another guest gave me a different number and eventually I got through and explained the issues. No apology but the issues were rectified later in the day.
It felt quite spooky, a bit 'Marie Celeste', hardly any guests, no onsite management and no breakfast.
What shame, won't be back again.

Room Tip: All about the same
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
3  Thank Whitmane
Reviewed 23 July 2017

Last minute booking for unscheduled overnight stay. Room 4 (double). Freshly painted that morning so spick and span. Older property pleasantly refurbed. Impression of being homely and clean throughout - though I only saw my room and the hallways to it. Easy to connect to free wifi. No real grumbles - suggestions follow;
Complimentaries and generously sized bath towels - hand towel would have been appreciated.
Clock needed new battery.
Small sized shower cubical - grab rail to help with getting in and out and shelving would help as bending over to pick up shampoo etc from shower floor when large wasn't easy.
Slight stain on arm chair seat. Great bedside tables - deep, bed-height and with a pull out shelf. However needs reading quality bedside lights.
Comfortable bed with lovely white linen.
Ample coffee, tea, milk. Mugs and large kettle.
Building is on a very busy crossroads which is difficult to stop at - almost got shunted by drivers behind on the three circuits of the block to work out where the parking behind the property was (just after Lidel and opposite entrance to Tesco).
Bit pricey at £60 a night - but it was peak season.

Room Tip: On a busy crossroads so rooms facing road have obvious traffic noise. Take ear plugs if you are not used to it.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Alexandra G
Reviewed 27 June 2017 via mobile

After needing to book a room last minute and every room being extortionate due to Glastonbury I stumbled across this lovely guest house.

Before I arrived I was very apprehensive, travelling alone to an area I have never been too as well as staying in a guest house for the first time however, there had been no need.

From my first phone call to discuss my later than usual check in the staff were so very friendly. I didn't meet the owners face to face which was a shame as I would have loved to thank them!

I stayed in Room 9, a family room with 4 beds. It was very clean and spacious. The on-suite was lovely too. Lots of hanging space etc. Tea facilities and a TV. The wifi was a life saver as I had barely any signal in Taunton at all.

A very comfy sleep although a little noisy due to some guests but that's to be expected in a guest house on a Friday night.

Great location, Tesco is straight across the road. They opened for breakfast 7:30 which was tasty too!

Overall a great stay and I have recommend it to all my friends and family for when they visit Norton Manor Camp! I hope to stay again.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 April 2017 via mobile

Didn't quite know what to expect as it I have never stayed at a B&B before. The stay was pleasant, Jane is very friendly and helpful. Room included a kettle with tea/coffee and a small chocolate bar which was a nice treat. Towels and soap etc are also supplied which I hadn't expected. It's conveniently located, walking distance from town centre and right opposite a Tesco.
Bed was made up daily and room tidied which was nice.
The room was a bit smaller than I'd have liked however that's just me being pedantic.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 February 2017

We stayed just one night at Lowdens House to attend a concert in Vivary Park. We located the convenient car park easily and were soon checked-in by the friendly hosts. We had a great chat on arrival and the warmth of their welcome (as others have noted) is a highlight here, they seem to genuinely enjoy running this place.

Our room was very clean and tidy, with good wi-fi, and it was quiet for a great night's sleep before we moved on. We opted for room only so can't comment on the breakfast.

The location is good too, easy to find off the main road, a short walk into the city centre (which is delightful too, our first time here and loved the feel of the place) and Tesco right opposite for any supplies you might need.

Overall, exactly what you need for a short stay, clean, friendly and good value.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple