“Nice breakfast”

The Corner House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed 18 November 2017

Stayed one night on business. Bar/restaurant area looks quite nice as you walk through to the stairs to the accommodation, although the corridors to the rooms are more dated.
My room (19) was very small, although clean enough and there was complimentary water and milk in the fridge (250ml of milk rather than the tiny capsules of milk that often accompany tea making facilities.
Bathroom was also small, but again clean enough with a shower over bath.
I noticed that my room door didn't close properly behind me, and walking along the corridors this appeared to be the case with a number of the rooms, so you need to make sure you pull it too securely when you exit.
Breakfast was very good - the setting was nice and I chose the cooked vegetable option which was very tasty.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay and I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I appreciate you highlighting the fact that your door did not fully close and will get our maintenance team to look at this. We do check these regularly as they have a tendency to alter with time with slamming at one extreme and too slow at the other.

The corridors are now being decorated and over the next few months will be completed, as we work around our guests to try and minimise the impact of paint smells.

Reviewed 14 November 2017 via mobile

Thought we had stumbled on a great Hotel while out in Taunton after spending 3 nights in a Torquay, Hotel right on the Beach cliffs , How wrong I was , thought I had booked a room including Breakfast . Last room too but no . After arriving was told breakfast was extra , so was the car park, the website I had booked through was also not the best with showing what rooms were left , anyway that wasn't all ,
We got to our room 31 no lift as I'm disabled and needing a knee replacement, having to climb 3 sets of Stairs wasn't good .anyway , opened room door to be greeted with a room that thought it was premier inn with the decor , far from it .
It was small very small in fact. So much so bed was nearly touching 2 walls with no room to move . We also had a wardrobe if you can call it that with a dressing table which also took up much more room , coffee and tea available under the dressing table out of reach and the mini bar was all extra . Fridge was dirty , tap in bathroom was broken and loose on sink . And shower was also dirty inside and out . Toilet was so close to the shower and no room to move . (Pictures shown below ).. Dusty glasses and fan and carpet dirty as if it hadn't been hovered for days .oh and if you got out of bed in the night you burnt your backside on the Radiator as no room to move between bed and wall of which the Radiator is fixed ( picture also below ) would I stay here again .not a chance premier inn are cheaper and get more room and cleaner we won't be back oh and why does it cost £5 per night to park our car
That should be included . We even had holes in the wall by the ironing board . As I said we won't be back .shocking hotel and we stay in many ..

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write such a negative review, much of it being about the website you booked through. The website was Booking.com and I am in receipt of the review you wrote on their and the comment card you left in your room. Rather than respond to 3, I will respond on here.

I have asked all my staff from the receptionist who checked you in, and was on duty all evening, receptionist who checked you out, bar person who helped you confirm that you hadn't booked breakfast on your confirmation on your phone and the housekeeping team whether you had at any time mentioned you were unhappy. You had not mentioned this to any of them and so any opportunity we might have had of addressing your dissatisfaction was not given to us.

So from the beautiful beach cliffs of Torquay to Taunton town you descended, and whilst out and about you booked a Compact Room here on Booking.com. I am not sure being in Taunton why you did not contact us directly, or even pop by as we are a few minutes walk from the town centre, and you could have looked at the rooms we had available. We do not own or control Booking.com's website and have no editorial control. However I do know they clearly state that Car Parking here is charged for, and the amount, that we do not have lifts and some rooms are on the second floor. In addition to this they offer a room only rate and a bed and breakfast rate which obviously is the rate that includes breakfast. You chose to book a room only rate.

Whilst Booking.com's website might have confused you, I happen to know that at the time of your booking in addition to Compact Rooms (you booked the last one) with or without breakfast we also had available on their website, standard double rooms and large double rooms also with or without breakfast. Naturally these rooms are slightly more expensive.

I have talked about pricing and value of hotel bedrooms many times and like Premier Inn who you have decided to compare us with, we change prices according to demand.
Taunton unlike Torquay where you paid £160 for 3 nights is not a tourist only location, with strong demand for rooms year round.

Now to all the gripes with the Compact room that you booked and never complained about at the time. I did a full hotel room inspection on the Monday you stayed with my housekeeping team that took 3 hours, and meant I checked every bedroom including Room 31. Hands up the back of the fridge, as your photo shows, where the water goes to the condensing tray was indeed in need of a scrub and it was noted and was on the housekeepers deep clean list for this week. However as the mini bar fridge only contains sealed cans of beer, coke and wine with complimentary bottled milk and water and is at the rear of the fridge behind product I felt it could wait another 48 hours. I was wrong.

Those dusty glasses must have got that way from the vacuum cleaner that was used on the carpet that I witnessed earlier in the day.

In terms of the size of the room this is clearly advertised and on our website we are totally upfront in stating that these rooms are only really suitable as stopover rooms. If you go onto youtube and search for twirling in a compact room at the Corner House hotel this is in fact Room 31.

You seem to have an issue with toilets as this is highlighted on your review of your stay in Newquay to quote 'tiny sink and toilet that is put in the gap between shower and wall also tight to get into if a little large like myself'. I am not sure how, to paraphrase you again, a hotel with limited car parking, soft bed, whistling window and tiny bathroom gets 4 stars for a Premium Room, and you give us one yet we deliver what you booked.

I never want unhappy guests and will bend over backwards to try and ensure they have a pleasant stay with us. If we have fallen short then of course I will make amends. On this occasion I see we will sadly join those other lowly rated places you have reviewed such as the KFC in Wolverhampton, Costa Coffee (known to you as Costa a fortune) and McDonalds Wolverhampton. I suspect that your subjective view of value has tarnished your review.

Reviewed 7 November 2017 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel for one night for the Bridgewater carnival. We booked a compact double that was a nice size for one night. The room was lovely, with everything you needed. Bed was lovely and comfortable. The TV on the wall could of been a little lower as felt I was leaning back to watch it. Shower was not as strong with water pressure, but did the job.
Our breakfast in the morning was amazing. The best I've had in a hotel this year, great sausage. Lovely and hot, everything we love. This hotel is close to town centre, so great for shopping etc. I would stay here again, would be in interesting in the other bigger rooms. Great value stay, great friendly service. Thank you.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2017

Thank you for your positive review and I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay and the Carnival. I will have a look into your comment about the TV and if it is indeed a little high will get this changed.

Shower pressure I am pleased to say will be resolved shortly as we have had issues that I have commented about on Tripadvisor particularly at peak demand times.

Look forward to welcoming you back and if staying for a few nights would certainly recommend booking a larger room.

Reviewed 6 November 2017

Stayed at the Corner House Hotel - Nov 2017 as we was attending a wedding nearby. Arrived around 4.30pm and checked in (and paid which I found strange - especially when we could charge to our room from the bar), eventually found the room (it's a bit of a maze). The room itself wasn't very big and did feel a bit cramped, with very limited space to hang clothes to the point where I hung my suit off the mirror rather. The walkway at the bottom of the bed to the bathroom wasn't very wide and with the TV being hung off the wall and me being 6ft 2" headroom was also an issue. The old style of windows also caused issues, not only did they rattle when we walked past the window, they rattled when people in the room above walked around their room!! I ended up creating some wedges out of paper to reduce the rattling (Thank God it wasn't windy!). The bed itself was comfy, however due to constant noise from pipework and the window rattling sleep wasn't easy to come by. The in room bathroom was tiny and whilst there was plenty of hot water, the shower itself wasn't very powerful.

Also worth noting that the kettle didn't fit under the tap very well so had to resort to filling the kettle with a cup.

The second night wasn't much better as we returned after the wedding with some other guests to find our room key cards didn't work (2 different rooms but on the same floor). We were told this was our fault by a clearly overworked receptionist as we had placed them near our phones, however neither of the cards had been in the same pocket as a mobile phone and to be told it was our fault before any resolution was offered was frankly rather rude. However the receptionist was on his own tending to a busy bar and dealing with our queries so I'm sympathetic towards him. 3 cards later and we're in our room and found another restless nights sleep ahead.

Skipped breakfast both days (didn't pay for them) as we already had prior arrangements, however the food at night was the highlight of our stay, with the ingredients very fresh and the food served piping hot, which was some achievement considering we had a table of 22!

Overall if I was to visit Taunton again I would definitely visit the restaurant again, however I would most certainly book elsewhere for a hotel stay. We felt the hotel was overpriced for what it was and needs some serious TLC.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed your dinner with us and that the wedding was a success.

In terms of pay on arrival, this is our policy and if you pay with a card we currently do not add an additional pre-authorisation as a security deposit which is the norm in most cities but do require this if payment is made in cash. Currently we allow charges to the room and due to the nature of our customers, have not had an issue with non payment the following morning. However if this did start to occur we would follow the big cities in requiring security deposits. I did notice that you did not charge anything to your room.

In regard to the size of the room, this was one of our compact rooms and as you describe, was compact. I looked into the issue with your window and am happy to confirm a new one is en-route to be fitted next week that will prevent further rattling. In the meantime we have made a temporary fix for future guests.

Turning to the shower pressure this is being addressed and we are just waiting for Wessex water to upgrade the connection to the mains with all the new pipework laid our side. I wont bore you with the facts behind why we have seen a reduction in water pressure into the building in the first place (not just the hotel but most of Taunton since 'improvements' were made) other than to say we are sorting it.

I am sorry you found a member of our staff rude and apologise for this but as you correctly point out a number of people returning from a wedding at the same time having enjoyed themselves all day requiring one last drink does put someone under pressure. I am in no way defending rudeness but can see how they might get flustered.

In terms of value this is difficult as the price of hotel rooms vary according to demand and the night you wanted to stay we could have sold the Hotel several times over. In addition to wedding guests there were numerous guests going to Bridgwater Carnival. If you had wanted to stay on the Sunday night you would have paid less than 50% of the price on Saturday.

I do hope you will return to Taunton again and would recommend you try one of our larger rooms as I think you will find these more to your liking.

Reviewed 2 November 2017

Room was pretty small - but I was travelling on business so that didn't really matter.

Service was fantastic, Maddison, Emma and Hamish were very attentive and professional.

It is a lovely venue for an overnight stop. Food was lovely.

Great little features in the room - especially appreciated the wall sockets with the iPhone USB ports!

Thanks - will stay again

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2017

Thank you for your positive review and I am pleased that the team made you feel welcome.