All reviews harvester restaurant sausage adjacent harvester beans business park free breakfast the sofa bed budget hotel the air conditioning plenty of parking car park motorway junction pleasant stay room was clean and comfortable overnight stop convenient location would stay again
Reviewed 17 November 2017

Stopped off at the holiday inn .half way mark to Cornwall .
Staff friendly and room lovely , modern and clean
. Would definately do this again and stay there .
Eatery near to location also although basic

Room tip: Any . All the same
Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
HIETeamTaunton, Senior Guest Service Assistant at Holiday Inn Express Taunton M5, Jct.25, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2017

Thankyou for taking the time to review our hotel. All feedback is welcome and we are pleased to hear you had a pleasant stay with us. Hopefully when you are in the area again you will pay us another visit. Hope you enjoyed your trip to Cornwall.
Kind Regards Cindy@reception

Reviewed 10 November 2017

We visited Taunton to meet up with friends on a Sunday who live around that area. We though that seeing we were meeting our friends on Sunday we would travel to Taunton on the Saturday and stay the night. We went and explored Taunton town centre which was lovely, most major shops here. We then went to Holiday Inn Express of which we had booked a few days before. On our arrival the staff were most friendly and helpful when bookin us in. The place was spotless and our room was very spacious, comfortable and clean. Breakfast next morning was all set out and such a choice. Excellent place to stay.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
HIETeamTaunton, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Taunton M5, Jct.25, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2017

Thank you Kerolee5 for your great review of our hotel. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your time visiting Taunton, we are very lucky to live in such a nice town! I would like to thank you for all your positive feedback, I will make sure to pass it onto our front desk and housekeeping team as they all work very hard to make our guests stays enjoyable.
We hope you had a nice time visiting your friends and look forward to welcoming you back soon,

Kind regards,
Sasha
Deputy General Manager

Reviewed 10 November 2017 via mobile

After reading some reviews, booked with some trepidation. Honestly though, it’s really good. Really Nice staff, efficient check in, breakfast was pretty good and the rooms are very comfortable. I travel a lot and stay in all sorts of hotels with varying budget, for the money, this is one of the best low cost places I’ve stayed in. Definitely recommend

Date of stay: November 2017
Reviewed 9 November 2017

This is the first time we stayed in an Express,it was interestingly different. The staff here were really helpful and very pleasant, as were all the staff we encountered at breakfast time as well. We were unfortunate enough to have our room next to a group of young people who were 'letting their hair down', the noise level was unacceptable, we spoke to the receptionist, I can't remember her name but she was young and very smiley. She was very sympathetic and found us an alternative room so a big shout out to her. We sat in the lobby area in the evening, I was amazed to find a section of it had a microwave, and tea and coffee facilities. You could make yourself a hot drink free of charge and sit in the lobby, you could also bring food in from the local supermarkets and cook them in the microwave and you could bring takeaways in to eat at the table in the dining room! This is an excellent idea especially for allergy sufferers, it's also great for families with young children being able to heat milk etc. At breakfast time we had a choice of cereals, breads, hot and cold drinks, there were beans, scrambled eggs, bacon and sausages, it wasn't the big selection you normally get but we were happy. They put large baps out which you could fill with bacon or sausages and bags to take them away and eat them later, so you don't have to sneek around hiding food in serviettes to see you through lunch! They also provide porridge for on the go, we thought it was a brilliant idea. Breakfast is a casual affair where you seat yourself and sort yourself out which suited us. On leaving the dining area, at the reception there were plates of croissants to help yourself to and of course you could take them away. I wouldn't say this hotel would suit a romantic weekend as you don't get waited on at meal times but if you just want to get on with the day then it's an excellent choice. Also the beds are double and not king size which does make a difference if you're use to the latter. hence my 4* rating.

Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank michelle G

Thank you Michelle G for your thorough review of our hotel. I'm really pleased to hear you chose to stay with us for the first time. I'm happy to hear one of our receptionists was able to find you a quieter room for your stay to ensure you weren't disturbed.
As you mentioned we are more than happy for guests to use the microwave facilities in the lobby or bring in their own food if they wish. Alternatively we have a great selection of evening meals which guests are more than welcome to take back to their rooms also.
We revamped our breakfast at the beginning of Spring, adding a Grab & Go option as well as lots of other additions which has gone down very well, especially for those in a rush without a lot of time for breakfast!
Thank you for your feedback regarding our beds, we welcome all feedback as we are constantly looking at ways we can improve.

We hope that we can entice you to come back soon,
Kind regards,
Sasha
Deputy General Manager

Reviewed 30 October 2017 via mobile

Due to Trip Advisor rules we have had to wait to post a second review of the hotel since we did not wish to delete our original comments about our stay at the Holiday Inn Express in July (1st July, 2017) which offer an extraordinary contrast to what followed in September.

As you will see from our previous review we have been very pleased with the hotel when we have used it in the past, on three occasions. We booked two rooms (ourselves and my in laws) for Thursday 14th September to break our journey on holiday to Devon and the stay itself was fine. However when I checked my credit card statement the following week there was an unspecified £100 surcharge so I emailed the hotel straightaway for clarification at 7.40 am on Thursday 21st September. By the time we returned home I had heard nothing so I emailed them again on Tuesday 26th September and received what was a truly shocking and upsetting reply. The surcharge it transpired was for alleged smoking/damage in one of the rooms we had used. After emailing back in the strongest possible terms to protest our innocence and expecting it to be a clerical error, I received a rather quicker reply which included photographic evidence (sic) of ash on a window cill.

Now let me be absolutely clear: Neither myself, husband or in laws have ever (and I mean ever!) smoked. Indeed our attitude to smoking can be measured by my review of the Crowne Plaza, Stratford (15th August, 2016).

As I stated in the last email I sent to the Holiday Inn Express,Taunton on Tuesday 21st ( no reply as yet, incidentally) “I repeat in the strongest possible terms that both we and my in-laws are life-long vehement non-smokers and regardless of your photographic evidence (sic) there was no ash or smell of cigarette smoke in either of the rooms we stayed in when we left. Regardless of your ‘procedures’ which you follow ‘carefully’ there is clearly something very, very seriously amiss here which is not due to our actions. For the sake of future guests can we suggest you review them as a matter of urgency.”

It is, of course, impossible to challenge this ‘judgement’ and penalty even if you are truly innocent; in spite of what might be said hotel procedures are not impartial or infallible. Odd as it may seem, there are times when managers need to trust guests’ statements and examine more objectively what is happening in their hotel rather than issue corporate declarations.

We hope that any response to this posting recognises that in both our reviews we have been honest, balanced and fair. Losing four guests may not be a big deal and we will find somewhere else to stop over in future but it’s a pity that what has been a good place to stay is now one for us to avoid.

Date of stay: September 2017
1  Thank JMS1308
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Taunton M5, Jct.25, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2017

Dear JMS1308,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am pleased to have you back as our valued guest. Please accept my apologies for the issues you had with our smoking policy. I would like to look into this further, therefore, I have sent you private message to obtain some additional details.

Thank you for staying and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Anthony M