“Excellent customer service from a young team and nice food to boot”

The Country Kitchen at Moor Hall Hotel & Spa
Price range: US$16 - US$21
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A Certificate of Excellence winner, The Country Kitchen carvery offers a wide selection of freshly prepared dishes. For starters, help yourself from the salad bar or home-made soup, then there is always a variety of roast joints, fish dishes, and casseroles accompanied by fresh vegetables and sauces. Sweets come next, of course, including one hot pudding from the kitchen, plus coffee. The Country Kitchen is open for lunch (12pm until 2pm) and dinner (5.30Pm until 9.30Pm) Monday to Saturday and from 12pm until 9.30Pm on Sundays.
Reviewed 19 January 2017

We were fortunate enough to win a meal for two at this hotel's country kitchen restaurant and tonight we took advantage. We had booked rather late in the evening but the restaurant was still busy which is always a good sign. I began with the soup of the day a very nice carrot and coriander whilst my partner chose to help himself from the hors d'oeuvres. Main course was a carvery and two specials of the day - one of which was sea bream. I love fish and would have considered this. However I have to be honest you really cannot have fish on a carvery menu unless you are willing to cook it fresh on the spot to order. Sadly I had to forgo the sea bream - pre-cooked on a carvery station is a no-no for me. The carvery meats on offer were Suffolk ham, Packington pork and if I recall correctly Hereford beef (forgive me if this is incorrect). I had the beef and a tiny bit of the ham. I was most impressed that we were not offered the first slice of beef when we mentioned we like our beef "pink." Sure enough the subsequent slices were slightly pink - just how we like it and a pleasant surprise as other carvery's seem to insist on medium or well done beef. There was also a good selection of vegetables although again some of them had suffered from being out (but covered) for a while and we were one of the last bookings of the evening. Again this is an issue at other carvery's we have visited but I would rather they were covered instead of open to the elements. The parsnips and red cabbage were lovely and not overdone but I gave the cauliflower cheese a miss. I also enjoyed the horseradish which tasted as it should (firey) rather than a bland soggy mess. My partner had a slice of pork and beef and loved both equally. After our main course we were rather full but couldn't resist trying the bread and butter pudding served with custard and a jug of more on the side. Deliciously light. I ordered a coffee and I am sad to say it wasn't very nice and just from the smell I could tell it was powdered (sorry I am a coffee snob I love freshly brewed coffee). I mentioned this and the maitre d'hotel quickly rectified my disappointment by bringing me a coffee cafetiere from the bar. This brings me to the main point of my review. You can argue a carvery from anywhere is fairly similar depending of course on the quality of the main ingredients. The differentials are the ambience and the staff. The ambience was lovely (the only thing that could have made it better would be a roaring open fire) and the staff were a credit to both the hotel and their parents. They were very young but very customer focused and friendly - nothing was too much bother. Excellent. From the 18 year old chef who had managed both the country kitchen and bar orders on his own (the other chef was ill) to our waiter and the young manageress (maitre d'hotel) who solved my coffee-ache. All had excellent manners, polite, friendly and thanks to the chef I now know a new way to cook ham (steam it in the oven wrapped in foil, in a bain marie). They offered solutions to problems and were happy for me to give them both positive and negative feedback (such as the fish and the coffee) as they see it as a way to learn and to improve. Yes I could go to a local carvery pub chain offering mass catering and wait for ages to be seated, served, have more vegetables that I know what to do with and be squashed into seats. Or I can pay more and not be rushed to finish and vacate the table. The whole evening was lovely and even though we were the last to leave we were not at any time asked to hurry up or presented the bill for our drinks until we asked for it. Three course carvery dinner is £17.50 or I understand £15.50 for Sunday lunch.

Angela B, Owner at The Country Kitchen at Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2017

Congratulations on your win!

I am pleased that you enjoyed the carrot and coriander soup to start, and that the meats offered on the carvery were cooked to your liking. If our guests prefer their meats cooked medium or well done, our team are more than happy to oblige. Your welcome comments regarding the lovely red cabbage, parsnips and fiery horseradish are appreciated by Chef, who is delighted that you enjoyed the deliciously light bread and butter pudding, served with an ample helping of custard.

We have remained family owned for over 50 years, and we believe that it is this personal touch that really sets us apart, and I am glad that your initial disappointment with your coffee was soon addressed by our maitre d’hotel.

Our dedicated team work really hard to ensure our guests enjoy their Moor Hal experience, and want to return, and I am delighted that you both enjoyed a relaxing evening,

It is always our policy to encourage feedback, as this helps us improve our service to you and future guests and your constructive comments have been taken onboard. I am pleased that our efficient and friendly Chef gave you some helpful tips about cooking ham.

Our Country Kitchen carvery restaurant is open for lunch and dinner every day, perhaps the next time you visit, you may choose to take your coffee in our cosy oak panelled lounge bar, which boasts a roaring fire, where you can relax and enjoy the stunning views across our sweeping lawns and surrounding golf course.

We hope to welcome you again very soon.

Reviewed 17 January 2017 via mobile

I have eaten at this restaurant on a number of occasions.
Carvery options are supplemented by varying specials, beautifully cooked and presented. Starters is either soup of a fresh and alternating selection of Hors D'Oeuvres, that are a delight of textures and flavours.
A friendly welcome from staff adds to the occasion and special thanks to Natasha, for her care and professionalism, always finding time to converse with diners, as well as managing her team.

I am pleased that you always enjoy a good selection of dishes, beautifully cooked and presented, when you dine in our Country Kitchen carvery restaurant. Our fantastic team work really hard to make each visit a memorable occasion for our guests, and your kind feedback is really appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to post your lovely review, we look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 8 January 2017

This has got to be one of the best meals out we have had in a long time - genuine value for money.
We ate on a Saturday night and the price is £17.50 for 3 course plus coffee and in comparison to a local chain of carvery's this is incredibly well priced considering the location and food quality.
The start was a choice of home made soup or salad cart selection which had an amazing amount of choice.
The carvery was delicious and i have genuinely never had so much meat on a plate before and that was without upgrading to a large. There were 3 types of meat or you could have a fish dish, pie or vegetarian option. The veg was slightly too al dente for my liking but you can't have it all.
There was a selection of 5 different sorts of cold pudding - our only sadness was the daim cake had run out before we got to it - plus a hot brownie and ice cream to order.
this was followed by tea or coffee and there were also cheese and biscuits available to those who could cram in any more food - we couldn't.
The atmosphere was calm and romantic, the staff were attentive and polite and we passed a thoroughly enjoyable 2 hours in there.
Would definitely return.

1  Thank sadiencon
Angela B, Owner at The Country Kitchen at Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2017

WOW!

Our dedicated team work really hard to ensure our guests enjoy a great experience every time they visit Moor Hall, and I am so pleased that you enjoyed an amazing choice of delicious dishes coupled with polite and attentive service. Great to know that you found the setting both romantic and relaxing. Sorry that the vegetables were slightly too al dente for you, your feedback is important to us, and have been taken on board by Chef and his team.

Our Country Kitchen restaurant offers all your favourite carvery roasts and Chef’s specials at a great value all inclusive price, and I am delighted to learn that you considered this meal to be the best you had eaten out in a very long time, and genuinely value for money.

What a shame the Daim cake had all gone, perhaps it will be on offer the next time you choose to visit. This restaurant is open for lunch and dinner every day, please book early to avoid disappointment.

Thank you for taking the time to post this fantastic review, and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed 4 January 2017

I attended an excellent workshop at Moor Hall hotel today and for lunch we dined at the Country Kitchen. I'd been hearing some great things about the hotel and the food at Moor Hall's restaurants over the last year but I hadn't had the chance to sample it for myself. Today I finally got a brief insight into the great reviews. The restaurant is cosy, nicely informal, recently decorated and for a Weds lunchtime suprisingly full! I tried out the carvery and I went straight for the main as time was limited although the salad bar looked really good with a deep selection of fresh salads and cold meats. The carvery was delicious, I chose roast turkey and garden vegetables and roast potatoes. The food was hot, plentiful and very tasty. Overall, a great first time visit and I'm looking forward to coming back and spending a bit more time here over lunch. (New restaurant furniture was very comfortable too!!)

Angela B, Owner at The Country Kitchen at Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2017

Having heard many excellent comments relating to the food standards at Moor Hall, I am delighted that you finally took this opportunity to appraise us for yourself, and that your expectations were fully met, when you visited the Country Kitchen for lunch.

This restaurant offers all your favourite carvery roasts and Chef’s specials at a great value all inclusive price, and is open for lunch and dinner every day. The Country Kitchen restaurant is extremely popular, and it is well worth booking in advance to avoid disappointment.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, I hope that your next visit is more relaxing, and you will have a bit more time to savour your meal.

Reviewed 18 December 2016

Went here with friends as a special pre Christmas treat. We've been coming here for years but lately it hasn't been great.

Each time we go there is only one waitress who we recognise and is extremely professional and needs a promotion. She is is only one that knows anything. The other lad serving us was polite but didn't offer us soup (or know what it was), didn't offer us any water and he seemed like he'd only just started with little or no training.

Then the end of the meal we'd all paid £5 deposit over the phone and only one deposit was shown. It must have took them 45 minutes to identify we'd all paid £5. When we paid we were told that all the deposits would be automatically put against our booking and obviously they hadn't. We felt like criminals to be honest as we were questioned. It really spoilt what should have been a very special night.

Angela B, Owner at The Country Kitchen at Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2016

Thank you for your continued loyalty to Moor Hall, your appreciation for the waitress’s outstanding service is really appreciated, and will be passed on to her.

As faithful customers to Moor Hall, you will know that we pride ourselves on offering our guests a consistently high standard of service, as it is clearly important to us that our guests are happy and keep returning, however on this occasion we clearly failed to meet your expectations, and I am sincerely very sorry that this experience affected the enjoyment of your special evening.

It is always our policy to request feedback from our guests in order that improvements can be made where necessary by providing extra training, and I would like to thank you for bringing these issues to my attention.

I do hope you will give us an opportunity to restore your confidence in Moor Hall, and look forward to welcoming you back, where you will be assured of our best intentions.