“Wife’s Birthday visit”
Review of Amato's

Amato's
Ranked #15 of 367 Restaurants in Carlisle
Price range: US$7 - US$28
Description: A family ran Sicilian restaurant in the heart of Carlisle's historic quarter, Filippo has over 18 years experience in various countries across Europe, why not come and try a little taste of Sicily
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We visited here for my wife’s birthday on 22nd March 2018 along with the kids. We visited here a couple of year ago after it first opened with another couple and I was less than impressed that time, but it continues to garner good reviews and I thought we would give it another go.
The restaurant itself is a beautiful setting, very warm and welcoming and a very pleasant place to be. The staff are friendly and made us feel welcome. We ordered starters and main courses for us all, the kids having garlic bread to start and margherita pizzas for main. My wife had garlic mushrooms to start followed by a creamy salmon pasta dish off the specials that day. I plumped for a tomato and Sicilian sausage starter followed by a risotto topped with cod loin for main. The meals did take a little while to arrive, and there was quite a gap between starters and mains, not to the point of being inconvenient but enough for me to notice. Although the pizzas were fine for the kids my own meal was below par. The starter was a simple dish and tasted so. There was no depth to it and it just tasted of tinned tomatoes with a bit of sausage in them. My main, although it was a ‘special’ was poor. Amazing that they had taken the ingredients and made them taste of nothing, not helped by it being incredibly under seasoned to the point that I think it had the salt chemically removed from it. For it being one of the crop of ‘modern’ Italian restaurants the risotto was over cooked and dry. Risotto should sink on to the plate and have some fluidity, but this was just a clump of stodgy rice. As a balance my wife said her dish was very tasty.
In all this was another disappointing visit for me. The restaurant is popular with a particular group of people in the local area and I believe the reputation they provide it ensures it is higher in the Internet charts than perhaps it should be. I won’t totally give up on it as I am a supporter of local establishments, but it will have to up its game on my next visit.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Went midweek for lunch. Really enjoyable.

Food was excellent, one of us is vegetarian and there was plenty of choice. Had the goats cheese & pepper risotto which was excellent.

Waiting staff attentive & pleasant, will definitely return

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Great restaurant. Young staff brilliant although not so keen on how the older female (manageress?) barked orders at them. Meals delicious especially the pasta dishes.
Only Criticism was how noisy the restaurant was, not helped by the extremely loud group of ladies on another table in the restaurant. The staff did apologise for the noise but it might have been nicer to ask the large party to stop screaming and swearing especially when there are children in the restaurant. We would visit again but not on a Saturday night

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Arrived and were quickly shown to our table. The restaurant was busy, well lit and tastefully decorated. We ordered mussels as a starter which were delicious and pizza as a main course. The waitresses were extremely pleasant and friendly. Will definitely return.

Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

I LOVE it here!!! Have been a handful of times and it has never failed. The food is truly amazing. Staff polite and very accommodating. Can't wait for our next visit.