“Absolutely Fantastic Mezze and Grilled Meat - And You Can Repeat, Too!”

Athena Palace Greek Taverna
Ranked #18 of 434 Restaurants in Bedford
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 23 June 2015

Another Groupon voucher, another place to try. So glad we went for this one! Great place, very friendly people, great food, nice atmosphere and even belly dancing and singing. Did I say that you could repeat any dish you like? Yes, you can!

This is a place you will not leave hungry! Nice show, some oldies-goldies for live music, and lovely food. One of the waiters is the non-interested-I-cannot-really-bother kind, but in a cool way, and another one is just the opposite, really nice and attentive. Manolis is a great host and we will definitely come back, even without offers!

If you have a party or even some informal business dinner, the all you can eat mezze option for under £20 is great value. And the menu is full of great options. We were quite hungry so we actually took the all-you-can-eat offer seriously, but we also order some nice wine, dessert and coffee not to feel bad... still great price.

Basically THE BEST Greek restaurant we have been, and we have tried several, some very good.

There are newer reviews for Athena Palace Greek Taverna

Reviewed 19 June 2015

I was amazed to find proper Greek food in Bedford, freshly prepared on the day, just like in Greece. Do not judge it by what you see outside, just walk in and you will be impressed. Highly recommended, can not get better than this in Bedford. Its very relaxing, staff very friendly, music is great, shame we could not smash plates anymore, because of stupid EU health and safety rules.

Reviewed 16 June 2015

First time here and was invited by family who had groupon vouchers.
Upon entering the first floor restaurant, i was impressed with the décor and spacious area.

A warm welcome from a gentleman, i think he may have been the owner, who explained to us what the groupon deal consisted of, it all sounded great.

Greek beer was great & the menu's were clean without any evidence of dried food or greasy fingerprints that i could see

Food was plentiful and we were told that we could have unlimited mezes, but none of us did as the rest of the food we ordered was enough. If I'm honest, some of the food was disappointing, such as the stripped down crab sticks and the dips, which did not taste authentic and not fresh. The moussaka i ordered looked & smelt amazing but tasted a bit bland and was oil drenched, but the squid & stuffed vine leaves were lovely.

Entertainment consisted of a really good belly dancer who encouraged diners to join her on the dance floor successfully and then left after about an hour when the in house music took over

Alcohol itself played a big part in getting guests up on the dance floor to a never ending very dated sounding 1980's mix playing at twice the speed and high volume, though this did liven the night up a bit.

At a push i might just give this place another go and give it a second chance.

1  Thank Ed6262
Manolis C, Owner at Athena Palace Greek Taverna, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2015

Dear Sir/Madam. I would like to thankyou for taking the time to write a review about my restaurant.I don't normally comment on my reviews, but when I think it's not fair then I feel I have to.Especially when people comment on the authenticity and freshness of my food.All our dips are freshly prepared on the premises daily using authentic PDO Greek products e.g extra virgin olive oil,tarama,yogurt and feta cheese. Being Greek and a chef and with 35 years experience running my own restaurants in Greece and England,we have managed here in Bedford and in only 14 months to build up a very strong reputation for quality of food,value for money and hospitality. Me and my family work very hard and we love what we do and for us there is no average or second best. Our quality and standards will continue. many thanks Manoli

Reviewed 15 June 2015

came on a group-on voucher which was good value but even at their normal prices: i think it is excellent value.
The owners a husband and wife are very friendly and natural hosts.
We had the all you can eat meze: dips and pitta braed followed by starters of sausage, grilled halloumi and bacon, vine leaves then lamb shanks and potatoes and pork/chicken kebabs.
all were very well cooked, presented and tasty. some were maybe a little under spiced for my liking.
All the staff are friendly and attentive.
There was live music, belly dancing and two of the waiters danced as well.
A very enjoyable night: would definitely recommend for a good night out.
SUCH FUN.

2  Thank Matthew M
Reviewed 28 May 2015

We went on an all-you-can-eat mess deal with groupon, though even if we had paid full price I would go back. The food was lovely and we got loads for the price! The staff and owner were really attentative and friendly. Great overall experience!