“Good fun”

Scarborough SEA LIFE Sanctuary Entrance Ticket
Ranked #26 of 89 things to do in Scarborough
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Walk with Penguins on Penguin Island and visit this years seal pup patients in Yorkshire's only Seal Hospital! There are over 1,000 creatures in over 50 amazing displays!
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Baby buggy parking, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift, Activities for older children
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Spent a couple of hours out of the rain in the sealife centre today,really enjoyed it and the staff do such a worthwhile job it's amazing. Watched the otters eric and pumpkin being fed and had a talk by staff on their breed etc the seal hospital does a wonderful job so please all donate a bit of change to this cause before leaving. It's not just for the kids!

Scarborough S, Guest Relations Manager at Scarborough SEA LIFE Sanctuary, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2018

Hi alisaholidays,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review about your visit to us here at Scarborough Sea Life Centre.

Our staff take great pride in delivering excellent customer service and they appreciate all feedback so I will ensure this gets passed along.

We're glad you enjoyed listening to the talk all about our Otters Eric and Pumpkin, they are wonderful little characters.

We appreciate any help anyone can give us towards the running of our seal hospital as it costs us over £2,000 per seal to rescue, rehabilitate & release them.

SCARBOROUGH SEA LIFE

Write a ReviewReviews (2,657)
All reviews
in 367 reviews
"conservation"
in 52 reviews

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Crammed with people, funnelled into tight spaces with tanks of 1-3 fish, big adverts of giant crabs filled Scarborough, but on arrival, two tiny crabs were motionless at the front of a small tank (i appreciate you cant make them move) but not very inspiring.

Have been to previous sealife centres in Birmingham and thought they were really good - unfortunately, this didn't live up to my expectations and wasn't worth the money.

1  Thank Jonathan W
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

This place has everything your typical sea life has with the added bonus of doing lots of conservation and seal rescue! We loved it.

Scarborough S, Guest Relations Manager at Scarborough SEA LIFE Sanctuary, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Hi K_Sutts,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review with your feedback.

Were glad to hear you had an enjoyable day.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regards

The SEA LIFE Team

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

My wife and I took our son to the SEALIFE centre again recently and it was fantastic. Even better than the time before when there were Octonauts to see (My son loves the Octonauts). Super family friendly and a great day out. Interesting too for both kids and adults so well worth a trip.

1  Thank James I

Hi James I,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review with your feedback.

Were glad to hear you had an enjoyable day.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regards

The SEA LIFE Team

See more reviews
Reviewed 28 March 2018

Bought online tickets for this attraction as I thought it would be ideal for a rainy day activity for my granddaughter and ourselves. Really glad we did the online bit, as if we'd paid full price for it I would've been a rather annoyed as you had to pay at least £4 on top of entry tickets for the council car park outside and the full fee wasn't worth paying for what there was to see in my opinion. The discounted price was very reasonable though.

To be fair, the exhibits inside were excellent, though I would advise wearing a coat as it was still rather cold inside and some of the exhibits require outdoor viewing.

There was a huge school party who went in ahead of us, and they were not well supervised in front of exhibits and with me in a wheelchair it was difficult to see anything. At my level people just do not see you and step back right in front of you and then look surprised when they've ricked their ankles on my chair. I do try and have it on the lowest power setting but it's not an instant stop or that easy to manoeuvre in small spaces; and the children just have no idea at all about giving room to anyone in a wheelchair.

The signing for the disabled access is very poor and it was chaos trying to get round people and go back on yourself to try and find the disabled access to the next exhibit, avoiding the steps ahead. There is no sequential route round the centre at the moment. The centre should take advice from 'The Deep' if they ever do renovations.

We were totally lost at one point and if it hadn't been for accidentally bumping into a staff member who kindly took us and showed us the double door entry - saying STAFF ONLY - to the next bit, we'd have missed half the exhibits. This is from the adult point of view, though granddaughter who is 6 also noticed how difficult it was to get round though she thoroughly enjoyed what she did.

We never found the penguins, the otters were hiding - though not unexpected on this freezing day. Caught the end of an interesting talk on the rescued seal pups and the adults there and feeding time.

Beware in the shop - there are a lot of un-priced items and it is then very difficult to dissuade your child that whatever they have chosen is really too expensive for what it is. Fortunately my granddaughter had spotted something not too outrageously priced when we got to the counter. I am all for supporting these places that care for wildlife but I do not like being ripped off on tat.

Interestingly, the lady at the counter asked me for my opinion on the disabled access which I was glad to give - I recognise that something built 30 years ago may not have up to date facilities/access for disabled etc. Apparently they are going to try and improve things; I told them that if they cannot change the routeing then numbered access doors to tally with the areas and stamp guide for the children would be useful, so that when finished in one area you know where to access the next viewing area. She acknowledged the limited access problems and said our tickets were valid until 25th May as a new exhibit was due to be opened and we could return free.

I encountered one very rude lady with children in the cafeteria area - though this is not the centre's fault (!) - who tried to cut in front of me in the queue when I asked her to give me a little space to turn around as we looked for empty tables. Why, I don't really know as all I wanted to do was return to the exact place I had been in, and just move in the opposite direction.

Good selection of food and reasonably priced. The children's picnic box notice could do with being moved to the beginning of the counter as you have to go back on yourself for the sandwiches and buns and this allowed a family to queue jump us as we were picking our granddaughters items.

Overall what we did manage to see was very good but organisation of route needs some work. As I mentioned, taking a leaf out of the Deep's methods would improve things, this includes the ticketing prices. At the Deep (in Hull) you can return for free for a whole year and their entry price is cheaper for a lot larger exhibition.

Hi Linnty,

Thank you for your constructive feedback on our disabled access route.

We appreciate all feedback and our disabled access route is something currently under review, and we are looking at implementing additional signage to help with this issue in the future.

The route itself has been different to 'usual' due to the construction of our new CLAWS area, and hopefully when you return for your free entry you will find the route much easier to navigate.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the exhibits and I will ensure that your positive comments about the staff is relayed back to them.

SCARBOROUGH SEA LIFE