“BRILLIANT ACCOMODATION”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of The Buttercross

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
main bedroon with on suite wc and basin, sea view
Enter a caption for your photo
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

timbog
lincolnshire,
“Honest review”
Reviewed 30 August 2015 for a stay in August 2015

where to start. When I arrived I knocked on the door to be met with a very weird welcome. Mick answered the door and just looked at me like I was an alien. I introduced my self and all I got was a comment, your early. It was 4.30 pm I did say I would be there about 5 pm but this seemed to be a problem for mock. He just turned round and went in the lounge so I followed him in. Not a great start he didn't even say hello or how was your journey. Nothing. He did warm up a little. He showed how to work the telly asked if I had any questions and then left. Anyway. The house. My first impression I got was I couldn't believe how dirty the lounge carpet was 2 horrible dark slightly damp marks on it, obviously left there from the guests before us dog.this dog also left quite a few hairs here and there for us to keep finding.apart from the disgusting carpet the rest of the house was nice and clean and no complaints. My only negatives are firstly the towel radiator in the bathroom downstairs is in a rediculous place. It's on the back wall of the bath . The bottom of the radiator is about 10 inches above the bath. So you can't sit up in the bath and relax without hitting your head or burning your self. There's no need for it to be so low. Secondly the cabinet above the tiny hand basin is so low you can't bend over the sink to wash your face or clean your teeth. I'm only 5ft 8 and I can't see the top of my head in the mirror it's so low. The other thing is the shower. Why is the shower bracket in the corner and not on the end wall. It's really a quad trying to shower tucked up in the corner on the bath.One over niggle is the settee in the lounge is most uncomfortable thing I have ever sat on and a bit grubby. But saying that the house is in an ideal location for the seafront. It's an absolute pain to park in the evening though so beware of this I spent 3 of the nights for about 40 minutes trying to park within 2 streets of the house. It might not be so bad in other months.all the bedrooms were nice and clean and my kids loved there rooms. One other suggestion would be that the owner bought some new saucepans and frying pan. My wife wouldn't use the ones in the kitchen because they were so grubby and dirty. This house isn't cheap to rent so I would expect a bit more quality here and there. I will leave some photos if possible to show what I'm talking about.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The closeness. To the seafront
Liked least: The bathroom
Travelling group: Young Children
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
3 Sep 2015
Thank you for the feedback, I did fare better than most of your past reviews

House has been fully occupied for 15 weeks before your arrival and carpets, paintwork, sofas ect do suffer and its not possible to clean carpets fully without leaving them completely damp and having upset guests

Its a hand basin!!!, not a wash basin OK for children to brush their teeth, You are provided with a proper wash basin and tooth brush holder in your on suite.

Pet friendly house Very hard to remove all hairs in a single clean

HONEST

I checked with you to see if all was OK you replied Yes for now

Also house was prepared for 5 adults as booked you were also asked in confirmation letter for ages of any children, But no indication given

I was woken from a nap because you expected to arrive later than 3pm and a look of despair at 3 children under 8 after having removed all waterproof bed protectors leaving keys in window locks, some dangerous cleaning products, glass ornaments expensive bedside lamps and cushions

I expect to be told about children so I can remove anything that could harm them, and place cheaper cushions because I expect them to be covered in chocolate or what ever.
PAULA M
Durham, United Kingdom
“BRILLIANT ACCOMODATION”
Reviewed 25 August 2015 for a stay in August 2015

We stayed here for a week and it was absolutely amazing, the house is clean , spacious and in an ideal location, it is 1 minute walk to the beach and attractions, we took our children and dog and the house had everything we needed to have a great holiday , we would definately recommend it and we will definately be staying here in the future.

Travelling group: Young Children
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Ann K
Grimsby, United Kingdom
“Its in a great location”
Reviewed 16 August 2015 for a stay in August 2015

Our stay at Buttercross was lovely .The house had every thing we needed it is clean and comfortable . Michael even left us milk and tea for us .every thing is on hand less than 5 mins from the beach and a short walk to the town .two lovely pubs on the corner they were very friendly We will certainly stay there again.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
kieranhuk...
“Mr ”
Reviewed 2 August 2015 for a stay in July 2015

Stayed here from 25th July until the 1st August and have to say it was absolutely fantastic. Stayed here with my wife, two children and friend, very spacious, clean and fantastic location just a stone throw away from the sea front. This place has everything you need, beds are comfy and it was a pleasure to stay here for the week. Michael allowed us to drop our suitcases in before the house was ready which was very nice of him to do as we came by train. Will definitely recommend to friends and family and will hopefully stay here again.

PennyFlin...
Hereford, England
“Handy location but not well equipped”
Reviewed 28 July 2015 for a stay in May 2015

Great we can take pets. Location very handy for beach,seafront, castle etc. Parking nearby is on permit basis which was rarely a problem, epecially as the house is so near facilities that we hardly needed to drive. The house was clean but there were many things that reminded me of renting pre Internet , sometime in the 80s perhaps. Towels are not provided, which is stated in the details but so rare as to be easily overlooked. There were two tea towels and one hand towel for five people for a whole week and no dishwasher - so basically take your own or wash a lot. There was one previously used dishcloth and sponge, a stinginess that is really not good enough and a single tablecloth, which we used as it was on the table on arrival, but it became very dirty over a week. Soap, dishwashing liquid etc may not be provided.So again the advice I would give is take your own if you choose to stay here. There are no serving spoons and crockery and cutlery needs to be frequently washed ( even during a meal) so there is enough. The decking boards in the back yard are not fixed so,leaning to hang washing ( using the few pegs provided),you can easily be tipped and lose balance onto the lower level. So take great care.The extra TV channels we were told about appeared not to work. Either that or we needed more instructions. The person who fitted the tiny wash basin in the bathroom with a cupboard above has clearly never used it, as it is extremely awkward to clean your teeth or wash your face without banging your head. As the bathroom is next to the kitchen, it is easier to clean your teeth in there! Hooks are needed for hanging clothes while using the bathroom but there aren't any. The owner was helpful prior to and on our arrival but we got strange text messages after our departure asking about a curtain rail support which he clearly thought we had removed or hidden! Eventually I simply declined to reply as the implication was too ridiculous. Furnishings are basic, (with some of the wardrobes showing signs of falling apart) and soft furnishings do not match, but are clean and adequate. We found it difficult to sleep as the beds were hot. The reason for this became apparent when we stripped them on leaving. They are fitted with PLASTIC MATTRESS COVERS! Understandable on the single beds if they are to be occupied by toddlers. Entirely disgraceful otherwise.This property compares unfavourably to others we have rented in the immediate area.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Access to local amenities.
Liked least: Plastic sheets
Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Recommended for:
People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Management Response
9 Aug 2015
Sorry you didn't enjoy your stay

There are some good constructive points, but I do leave my mobile number so any problems can be resolved straight away,
last thing I want is my guests not having a good stay
I don't mind changing a light bulb, smoke alarm batteries and so on,
so pegs and tea towels are not problem

nobody has mentioned the protective mattress covers used on the single beds in the 3 years I have been using them, but I will buy some non PVC for when adults are using those beds

bathroom cabinet. Was higher but some ladies couldn't see into the mirror, thought I had a happy medium

I will purchase bigger tea towels and also leave an extra table cloth in future

I will have a look at decking and see about paving it during off season

The now TV box was installed that day and I didn't have any instructions myself and it was not advertised when you booked your stay.
I like to think I am improving all the time for my guests

Apologies for leaving my cleaning sponge and cloth behind.

Yes things did get off badly over the towels which are not supplied nor advertised

Normally I wouldn't mention trivial damage like the curtain rail but I had to try find the missing bracket to repair in time for the next guest
having already drove home for tools once

and yes some thing's are basic, not every body looks after things and believe it or not some adults even wet the bed, and I have to replace the bed because I don't use a PVC but a cotton protector on the double

Apologies again, sorry if I spoilt your sons honeymoon. But I was only a phone call away

yours sincerely

Michael
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing