“Return visit ”

Ranked #63 of 195 Restaurants in Newbury
Price range: US$4 - US$33
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: One of the best pubs in Newbury for fresh food and cracking cask ales. The Lock Stock & Barrel is the ideal spot for some riverside relaxationwith its heated patio and the quirky roof terrace.
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Having visited this pub several times before we were rather apprehensive as the last visit was disappointing. However this visit was just the opposite, the greeting when we arrived was friendly and helpful. The food was delicious and the service very good. We will be back.

Reviewed 13 March 2018

I met my children and families for lunch. We all had different meals and the food was delicious. The deserts were tasty too. The service was excellent, they could not do enough for you. All the mothers had a free glass of prosecco and a gift bag with a small gin and tonic. We had a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon. Thank you.

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

How to start...So this place is synonymous with sunshine drinking by the canal...I should also now add Sunday lunch!

Pretty much the best Sunday lunch I’ve had in Newbury and the surrounding area by a country mile. Good stuff!

Reviewed 12 February 2018 via mobile

Excellent, excellent excellent, well done Naomi! What a very nice pub, loved it. The hospitality started off a little shaky but was soon sorted. Don’t you just hate it when you are clearly the only one standing at the bar patiently waiting then are flanked either side by other customers only to end up being last to be served, really winds me up as a retired landlady. I always made sure I was watching the guests. To be fair the men should have said before accepting to be served before me but they had flashy watches on and were waving money. Having said that the hospitality was good and it was a lovely atmosphere and a well run house. My friend loves Oliver’s so was over the moon to find a Fullers Pub. I did ask for a cup of tea but was told the machine had been turned off ! What’s that all about ? Soon remedied when I asked Naomi who swiftly switched it on and bought me a lovely cup of tea, that is customer service and Naomi went above and beyond to make sure I was looked after, what an asset to your brand. ( the young men behind the bar would do well to take on board Naomi’s attitude) We enjoyed a lovely evening after a very cold day at the races, hence a cup of tea request to warm up ! I have to highly commend Naomi for her attitude and hard work, I made sure to thank her before we left and wish her all the best in her new venture in another one of your pubs in Bath, which I should add we will go and visit.

If Naomi had not stepped in I would have rated this visit 1 star so please don’t ignore requests for cups of tea, not all of us are able to drink alcohol and you shouldn’t dismiss the request, it’s poor customer service no matter what time of the day it’s requested. As it was the evening was saved and you get a well deserved 5*****’s.

Reviewed 27 January 2018 via mobile

Large group, family booking for lunch on Xmas Eve, including young children. Pub was busy (of course) but service was good, friendly, attentive staff. Food all of good quality (love the fish and chips) and portion sizes. One of the kids meals (pizza) was unfortunately inedible, which we mentioned to the waiter. However, that would not stop us from eating in the pub again. Feel a little guilty as didn’t leave a tip, assumed it was included in the final bill but don't think it was. Will leave double next time. As ever with the LSB, always think the prices are a little too high but in part you're paying for the river/canal side location.