“Stopped jere on way to Aviemore”
Review of Howie's Bistro

Howie's Bistro
Ranked #1 of 22 Restaurants in Dunkeld
Cuisines: European, British, Gastropub, Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Stopped jere on way to Aviemore”
Reviewed 28 February 2012

We stopped at Howies in Dunkeld recently on the way up the A9 to Aviemore and it was pretty nice. We were in mid-afternoon and so only had lunch (paninis/chips etc) but the evening menu did look nice and it would be good to go back again at some point to give that a try.

We found the two staff members to be nice enough and, although slightly pricey, we enjoyed our visit and would go back again if stopping off on the way up north. The food was good and the actual restaurant itself was nice and not too big. There were quite a few locals in that afternoon, and I got the impression that the place had quite a good reputation in Dunkeld

• Visited February 2012

North York Moors National Park, United Kingdom
“Blanked”
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We were recommended Howies so thought we would go and give it a try. It looked pleasant enough from the outside...... thats as far as we got, the door was locked and closed sign up three quaters of an hour before advertised!! A couple of people were eating and a girl was working behind the bar, we caught her attention and mouthed through the window are you closed she nodded then looked away..... It would have left a better impression had she come to the door and explained why after all we had travelled a lot further than from the bar to the door to get there! not even a smile from her which left us thinking they might find themselves shutting permanently with that attitude

Visited February 2012
5 Thank Co-Pilot1
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Disappointed, would not rush back!”
Reviewed 25 February 2012

As a frequent visitor to Dunkeld after walking at the Hemitage, I was very interested when I recently saw an offer for a voucher which said "An indulgent afternoon tea for TWO people at Howie’s Bistro in Dunkeld including a cake stand stacked with dainty sandwiches, homemade scones and an assortment of cakes plus a glass of chilled Prosecco each" I purchased the voucher.
I telephoned on a few occasions to book and when I mentioned the voucher was told they were fully booked.
However, I eventually managed to book. for a friday afternoon.
On arrival at the Bistro my friend and I were approached by one off the staff and asked "is it a table for two?" I said "yes I have booked! " she looked puzzled asked for my name, she then said " Oh is it a voucher for afternoon Tea?" I said yes she then told us to sit where we liked. (I would have thought that when I had booked a few weeks ago that a table would have been reserved? From this point forward this lady seemed to loose interest. Once settled she came to the table and asked if we wanted our Sparkling wine substituted by a soft drink. We both replied no thank you; we would like our glass of prosecco! She then asked what kind of scones we would like giving us the option of plain, cheese or fruit? she then asked if we wanted our Tea served after our afternoon Tea and we both asked for it to be served at the same time. There was no chatting or smiles or eye contact, which we are accustomed to having in other establishments.
The prosecco arrived and was very pleasant and perfectly chilled! Next to arrive was
"a cake stand stacked with dainty sandwiches, homemade scones and an assortment of cakes" voucher description not mine.
I checked the menu card and afternoon Tea was described as dainty sandwiched and the fillings which we did have: scones "yes" there was a scone each but from there the description fell short, the doughnuts were in fact the tiny centre parts. and the "slice of cake" was a tiny morsel, which I am sure they must have had difficulty in cutting, it was so small.
" I wish I 'd had my camera",
The Tea which was the earl grey we asked for was excellent
However once again, I must say everything tasted very nice "I think" just not enough.
So in conclusion: The overall the quality and taste of what we had was excellent.
The quantities were very mean.
The fair haired lady would benefit from some customer service tuition in that all customers should be treated equally.
I would like to add: that the younger member of staff who appeared just before we left did smile and call over to us "Bye and thank you" when we put our gratuity into the receptacle on the counter.
I am sorry if this review comes over as negative but as someone who is a seasoned traveller and taking into consideration today's economic climate the establishments who go the extra mile with excellent customer service and value for money are the ones who will survive

• Visited February 2012
5 Thank Iris K
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Best restaurant in Dunkeld”
Reviewed 6 February 2012

We spent a week in Dunkeld and found this to be the best place to eat in town. Freshly made doughnuts were great as was the coffee - unfortunately not a big selection of teas (no Assam). We had lunch one day and dinner another - food was always fresh and tasty. Sea bass for dinner especially good - lasagna (both lunch and dinner menu) very good. Prices also very reasonable for both lunch and dinner. Service was friendly. Highly recommended.

• Visited January 2012
Blairgowrie, United Kingdom
“Amazing!!!!!”
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Best food i have had in a very long time,service was quick and efficient.Will definitely b back for the amazing food.

Visited December 2011