“£56 for a cheap bottle of red and two soups”
Review of Blue Boar Pub

Blue Boar Pub
Ranked #10 of 32 Restaurants in Hay-on-Wye
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My boyfriend and I attended the blue boar on our first night in Hay-On-Wye, we shared a bottle of red and both had the soup of the day to start. Service was sweet but slow. We waited an age for the mains to arrive and when they did, my £25 steak was chewier then a rubber welly and my boyfriends burger had no bottom bun due to it dissolving in the grease it was served in. We decided that the only option was to ask to talk to the manager to rectify the problem. The manager decided the only option was to delegate a member of the wait staff to solve it. After being told we were so nice for the 100th time we were proved correct when somehow we were backed into a corner and ended up having to pay for the £25 steak we hadn't eaten. Somehow, we had a £19 bottle of wine and two soups but paid £56. Horrendous. I can not recommend going elsewhere strongly enough. I wish we would have seen the other reviews beforehand.

1  Thank welshessex
Write a reviewReviews (876)

Reviewed 17 August 2021

Visited this place accompanied by my elderly mother and her friend. A warm welcome from the bar staff and good quality drinks on what was a very hot day. Nice olde wordly environment, plenty of traditional pub wood throughout. Will definitely call again and try their menu.

Reviewed 17 August 2021

The pub was busy at lunchtime, but we were given a table and it was waitress service from there, which was nice. The staff there are seriously overworked though, and even though they were all lovely, I felt a bit awkward asking for ketchup and more drinks etc.
The meal came and it was nicely presented but a little measly, my daughter's £16 burger literally came with about 9 chips, which we didn't really feel able to ask for salt or sauce for.
My other daughter had a bacon and brie bap, which was lovely, but again had one rasher of bacon in. The food was definitely on the nice side, but portion sizes were mean and the poor girls were worked to death!! A few more staff and a few more chips, and I'd definitely come back again.

1  Thank Liz A
Reviewed 15 August 2021 via mobile

Came here based on other reviews, that was a mistake.
If you like overpriced, under portioned food that doesn't match what they put on their menu, then this is the place for you. Even their promise of reducing the bill was ignored.
Very disappointed indeed. Wont ever return

1  Thank dmD3251TJ
Reviewed 15 August 2021 via mobile

I ordered a chicken and sweet potato curry - it came with garlic rice (yum), poppadom (one) but I found it had a normal roast potato (!) , and just one cube of sweet potato which was gutting.

I was offered a choice of more poppadom or chips or price reduction - we opted for the reduction - which was not honoured in the end.

My partner ordered a burger which arrived seriously pink that he likes, however he was not asked how he liked it cooked.

We were not offered dessert or coffee so we asked for the bill and escaped.

Value for money- you don't get a large serving so the burger is a bit overpriced

Would I go back - yes possibly but unlikely