The Palace Hotel
US$64
Travelocity
TripAdvisor
3,182 results
All reviewsgrand old hotelgrand staircasesweeping staircasecourse mealbuffet stylebit datedshort breakopera houselovely viewfull englishchandelierscharacterderbyshire
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Nothing special, came into contact with 1 stand out member of staff and 1 rude one. Everyone else was just ok. Ok room, only mouldy shampoo so had to rectify that. Windows have restrictors on so can only open a couple of inches but no locks? Dinner was good, but breakfast was poor, cold despite having to queue for fresh stuff to be brought out. Gym was smelly but ok. Pool was ok. Wouldn’t say it was worth the £150 for 2 nights on groupon.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

I don't understand how this hotel has 4 stars. We stayed in a standard double room. The room was so small that you could barely move around either side of the bed. The mattress was of poor quality. The only positive remark I can make is that the sheets were clean. There was thick dust on the curtains and on the blind in the bathroom. There was a cracked tile by the shower that complemented the mould and the toilet roll holder which was loose and coming away from the wall. The entire hotel is in disrepair with the threadbare carpet in the hallway being covered with tape.
We went to breakfast and has to wait several minutes before a miserable member of staff came along to take our room number. We asked what the procedure was for breakfast and were told 'sit where you like'. So helpful. Dirty cutlery, with my spoon actually being stuck to the table. cooked breakfast was luke warm and plates were cold. could not eat the breakfast as it was cold before I was able to finish it. Wifi is only available in the rooms if you pay 7 pounds for 1 device for 24 hours!
Overall this was a dreadful experience and is an embarrassment to such a beautiful environment. On checking out, I was expecting to be asked how my stay was, as is the norm even in budget hotels, however, no at The Palace hotel. I can only assume this is a conscious decision as they do not want to invite the negative comments they would receive.
I would implore anybody considering to stay at this hotel to look for an alternative. Buxton is a beautiful area which is being let down by this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Purchased the 2 night stay with breakfast, dinner and a bottle of wine for 2 off of Groupon.

Hassle free check in, with a warmish welcome. Busy car park. However we didn’t get told about any information on parking, checking-out, breakfast times etc.

Room was ok, very small bathroom with a shower door that didn’t shut properly and no shampoo/ body wash.
It wasn’t until I was in the shower that I realised there wasn’t any shampoo, so my partner ran down to reception but this took almost half an hour to resolve.... whilst I was stood waiting in the shower.... In the end we were given some shampoo in a cup.
(Some mouldy looking shampoo came out of the container - see picture)

We used the gym and pool facilities, the gym needs some good air fresheners and some new machines.
The gym host was friendly and helpful.
The pool was small and had a lane marked out for swimming, but some kids were playing in there, so it was a bit of a free-for-all. Whilst a swimming lesson was also taking place!

A concern for us was that was a male cleaner on duty in the female changing rooms and only 1 available cubicle to get changed in...

Dinner was good, enjoyed the free bottle of wine!

The hotel was old which meant every creak could be heard, especially at night. If you are a light sleeper then this hotel probably isn’t for you!

Breakfast was cold both mornings, and majority of breakfast staff were rude, except the host.
However, most of the breakfast staff had served us dinner the night before, so I guess they were tired!

Room cleaning service wasn’t very good, as we still didn’t have any shampoo on the second day.

Overall, good location for a visit to the Peak District but we wouldn’t return.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

We bought the dinner bed and breakfast 'deal' on the Britannia website. Even for what we paid (£115) the stay was terrible. We had to pay an extra £4.50 to park which we have never experienced when staying at a hotel before. As soon as we walked in the fusty smell hit us, and we just knew it wasn't going to be good. The chap who checked us in was pleasant enough, we were early so we got a drink whilst deciding what to do with the day. I asked for a Diet Coke, the lady messed about with the machine whilst becoming more and more annoyed and so I said I didn't mind paying more and having a glass bottle. She said, 'no I've started this now. There's a problem with the machine but I can't be bothered to tell you what it is'. Charming. Paid, sat down and the drink was flat so I went back and asked for it to be changed to a bottle; luckily it was a different member of staff this time so all fine. We paid extra for leisure club access, took one look at the pool and there was no way we were stepping foot in it. Dirty and run down would be an understatement. I went upstairs to enquire about treatments and the smell was vile up there. Needless to say we abandoned ship and started googling nearby places to spend the day instead. Our room was old, again smelt funny and was dusty. The double bed was 2 singles screwed together, my husband was almost on the floor while my side was high up. It looked very odd and was extremely uncomfortable. The evening meal was a joke. Dirty plates and cutlery, lukewarm food and a serious lack of choice. The roast potatoes still had whole lemons in amongst them from when they were being cooked. Veg was all covered in cheese sauce, the soup was cold (the lid on the pot was broken and they hadn't bothered to fix it so the soup just sat getting cold all evening). Fishcakes were worse than any I have had even from a chippy and were cold rather than lukewarm, served with dried up lettuce leaves. The poor staff were getting abuse left right and centre and to be honest they are on a hiding to nowhere. Britannia must not care one jot about their employees to leave the establishment in such a state that they spend their entire shifts dealing with complaints. There was one dessert left out of the 3 on the menu and we had seriously had enough by this point so we left it and didn't bother. Breakfast was the same sorry state of affairs....dirty plates, cutlery and cups, lukewarm or cold food, and staff being shouted at for no fault of their own. I have sent emails to customer services and received no reply. The whole place needs closing for a full refurb and some kitchen training!!

1  Thank louiseroth215
Reviewed 30 March 2018

Had a groupon stay and paid for an add on night,lovely old hotel which retains its character.Had a lovely stay room was large and overlooked the front of hotel large windows.Breakfast buffet style ok but was cold plenty of choice .Meal at night was good although we had groupon deal so was included in price should of been £25 a head and got a bottle of wine included !, parking is £4.50 a day ! And extra for wifi , we thoroughly enjoyed stay and staff were very helpful

1  Thank alisontherapy