“Lovely community pub, highly recommend the pizza, and the pie!”
Review of The Fortescue Inn

The Fortescue Inn
Ranked #5 of 39 Restaurants in Salcombe
Price range: US$9 - US$28
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Pub with rooms serving fresh local food both inside and out,excellent hand made pizza, particularly busy during the summer months
Reviewed 22 September 2017 via mobile

Always friendly, cheerful and accommodating bar staff - we recommend the pie, and the pizzas are also always good (and fast / a bonus with starving children, fresh from a day at the beach).

Reviewed 20 September 2017

We had lunch here, thinking the prices looked very reasonable for Salcombe. The mushroom and blue cheese risotto was beautifully cooked-light & full of flavour. My friends chips were pronounced as "the best-delicious!"

Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

Arrived at 710pm for our booked table to be told the facilities were out of order and if we needed to use the toilet would have to go up to the public loos on Whitestrand.

The guy who dealt with our arrival explained the situation was being looked into and he would let us know if they became operational. Recognising this wasn't planned and probably unavoidable he showed us to the table and said he'd be over to take our drinks order.

The table was in the corner near the door and there was a pungent smell most likely attributable to the dysfunctional toilets. We waited 10 mins and the chap didn't materialise to take a drinks order. We gave it another 5 minutes and thought we'd cut our losses and leave.

Really disappointing, the situation may have been unavoidable but they could have telephoned customers to advise them ahead of their booking of the issue. They could have provided the drinks service promptly - they weren't busy. They could have offered a free drink, to compensate for the walk up the road to the loo.

The Fortescue is a Salcombe institution, the toilets aren't the most salubrious at the best of times. The place needs some serious attention and investment. The carpets are filthy and the decor dated.

As we left a couple of the staff were poking about in the drains with some rods - it didn't look hopeful the situation would be resolved any time soon. They weren't wearing protective clothing and health and safety was a concern.

2  Thank fatandfrantic
David M, Owner at The Fortescue Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2017

Dear Fat and Frantic,

Thank you for coming to dinner, yes it was bad timing for you, we do not pay excess staff members to be available just in case something wildly out of the ordinary happens

We did call our bookings to let them know and cancelled most of them honoring those customers who had already ordered and those like yourselves whom had just walked in, I have already alluded it was bad timing for you and I can only imagine you arrived as the drains started overflowing and before we could call and alert you. After this we stopped serving any other customers and closed the pub very early. I did come back from my day off to try and fix the problem. Please let me assure you myself and my staff are well aware of any cross contamination issues. South West Water arrived about 10pm and cleared the problem which was on their side of the main Victorian drain. Apparently there is an 6 inch u-bend on their side which are not seen very often these days. The toilets were functional however we asked patrons not to flush unless necessary to avoid further flooding towards the rear of the property

I see you have visited before and I do however take umbrage over your lack of observation and unresearched, inaccurate review. The Gents toilets were fully refurbished earlier this year and the ladies toilets are planned in for later this year, when time and money allow, although the ladies toilets are in a better condition than they have been for some years.

"The Place" has had some serious attention and investment since I arrived 4 years ago,
One of the first things being the ripping out of the old carpets. There is now a new stair runner, the rest being a mix of the old quarry tiles and Persian rugs.

The exterior gas leak was finally fixed, the drains and gutters were cleared, the French drain behind the restaurant wall was cleared and the sump pump drain also, so water does not seep any longer into the restaurant. There are now a cellar cooler and ice machine which are clean and actually work

The interior has had the artex plaster re skimmed and painted on 2 occasions and the exterior painted twice with new signage, lights, flower baskets and troughs. Most of the rotten window cills have been replaced along with several lintels and 2 rotten windows. There are new curtains, the table tops have all been refurbished by myself, sporting flowers, decent salt and pepper grinders and oil candles. There are 3 new mutli fuel burners and for the first time in over 200 years a very small amount of central heating.
I have invested with the help of a Government loan well over £200000.00 (the banks wouldn't lend as "The place" made no profit) There are now 6 beautiful letting rooms, the food is all high quality so please come back and try us again. I can only apologise again for the unforeseen drain problem and your disappointment at not being able to have dinner, I hope you will come to try us again and you are able to leave a relevant and helpful review rather than add insult to injury

Best regards

David Moxham

Reviewed 17 September 2017

nice spot to sit with a beer and people watch sat outside plenty of seating didn't eat here but it looked good

Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

We had a drink in the Fortescue on our arrival in Salcombe we liked the friendly atmosphere so decided to book a meal on the following night in the small restaurant which was lovely. I had the Scallops and Turbot which were simply delicious and my husband had the fillet steak which was superb its also an excellent location.