“A night away in a very pretty town”
Review of The Chase Hotel

The Chase Hotel
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Ross-on-Wye
Reviewed 11 August 2016

Overall the stay was great. I can't say we were welcomed warmly initially but it was pleasant enough. We were shown to our executive room which I had chosen instead of the superior because the website bills it with a larger TV and Jacuzzi bath. The TV was tiny and although it was not a massive issue I felt the room was small and if I am sold something I like to receive it. The young woman on reception was very helpful and kind and showed us another executive room, as described but it was above the rear patio and we had already been warned after booking that there was a potential for disturbance from the party taking place. I asked for an upgrade and was immediately given one to a four poster room which was much more befitting of the price I paid. The room was spacious, comfortable, had great views and the bed was very comfy. (The TV was large too!!)

We ate in the restaurant and again although the service was good it wasn't really warm or engaging. Our male server was a person of few words. The steak we had was delicious and presented nicely. However again, what was sold on the website is not was is the reality and I find this disappointing. The website advertised a 3 course table D'Hote meal included in the deal. In reality there is a £25 allowance which will cover a 3 course meal if you choose the less expensive, less table D'Hote options. We had a very nice 2 course meal and used up the allowance.
Parts of our stay were lovely and the breakfast service and food was excellent but I can't help feeling I was sold a package, an image that did not match the reality.

Room Tip: The 4 poster room has great views and is comfortable.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 August 2016

The grounds of the Hotel are beautiful. Wonderful entrance and staircase. Very good food in Harry's restaurant. We were a large group so they coped well. However, I reported to them the the telephone in my room did not work, but nothing was done about it. I had asked for an iron and board that arrived eventually. They need to removed the dated TV stand where they keep a kettle and tea/coffee tray that is not practical. Not easy for anybody disabled. The best part was Harry's restaurant for dinner. Very pretty village that is only a few minutes walk from the Hotel

Room Tip: upper rooms facing the front with views of the garden. no lift
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 August 2016 via mobile

Stayed here on a Sunday and Monday night for a friends wedding. Was charged £104 per night and generally left very dissapointed. The staff were pretty uninspiring throughout the wedding and left the bride and groom to fix a lot of niggly problems. There was no real management or direction around the wedding from the staff either.

The room itself was tiny and very dated, with a bit of a stale sort of smell. Facilities were adequate but where the television was placed you couldn't see it from the bed. I also had to wait about 3 hours after requesting an iron before helping myself to one as it wasn't sent.

The morning we checked out there was building work going on which started at around 7am seemingly right outside our room which, the morning after the wedding, was not much fun. I called down to reception but the lady on the end of the phone said 'it wasn't work being done on the hotel' and didn't really care.

Before checking out some friends of ours told us what they had paid for the two nights which was a lot cheaper than our bill, when we enquired at reception about this the lady stated that it was because we had used an 'outside booking agency' - we had booked directly through the hotels website!

The lady also seemed pretty uninterested in my complaints about the building noise.

All in not a great experience which is a shame because the lobby and bar areas are nice and the gardens too but I will definitely not stay here again, not worth the money.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Joe M
Reviewed 6 August 2016 via mobile

Stayed at the Chase hotel for one night after a party celebration. I couldn't have stayed any longer because the beds were so hard there was no way of sleeping. I had asked for a mattress topper as I suffer with severe arthritis but this made no difference what so ever. The rooms were extremely small and the paper thin walls didn't stop you hearing next door and beyond.
The food was very nice which is why I gave it 2 stars. The staff too at both the party the evening before and serving us our breakfasts were really efficient and attentive a credit to the hotel. The grounds and settings are beautiful so it's such a shame they can't provide a good nights sleep.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Margaret W
Reviewed 25 July 2016

This is an excellent hotel with superb friendly , efficient, courteous staff. The room ,though small was very good and the view from it lovely. The food in Harrys Restraunt was superb and a good choice on the menu. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the grounds, preferably on the top floor..
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple